Thread: Rip Stop Nylon

Rip Stop Nylon

Ok, So I went to JoAnn Fabrics. I found Ripstop Nylon and Sport Nylon. Does anyone know what the difference is? Also, both of them were 7.00/Yd. I have been reading posts where they said it sould be about 1.50/yd. One final Question. I was thinking about warmth... Would it be possible to make a hammock out of fleece? and would it be durable AND help keep you warm in moderate cold weather instead of having an underquilt? ok and one final, final question. how do you make a Whoopie sling? I watched Shugs videos, which were great but i cant figure out how they are made...

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    yes joann is expensive. 1.50 is more like wally world bargain bin stuff. http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons...1.1%20oz%20RS0
    this is just one of many places to buy ripstop and it is probably cheaper even with shipping. some members here have it too if you watch the posts. don't know about a fleece hammock. i guess it would work but maybe a double layer would be better. fleece is bulky though. check opie's posts for whoopie sling instructions.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    1.50 yard stuff is usually from walmart

At $7 a yard there are several vendors listed in the sub-forum under the DIY forum that you could order from to make sure you know what you are getting

Fleece is heavy and would need to be combined with a fabric layer to keep from stretching. Would probably only work in the 60's or higher

You can search in Google to find most of the info you need. Listed below is the search for the whoopie slings

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%...archBox&ie=&oe=

Just use site:hammockforums.net (then what you are searching for)
    Example: site:hammockforums.net whoopie sling

Welcome to the hanging crowd
    Last edited by hangnout; 02-22-2010 at 18:09.

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    it might be a lot easier to just buy some from whoopieslings.com or arrowhead equipment, but here is a link to the official instructions. Look for whoopie slings under 12-strand.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by restlesss View Post
    Ok, So I went to JoAnn Fabrics. I found Ripstop Nylon and Sport Nylon. Does anyone know what the difference is? Also, both of them were 7.00/Yd. I have been reading posts where they said it sould be about 1.50/yd. One final Question. I was thinking about warmth... Would it be possible to make a hammock out of fleece? and would it be durable AND help keep you warm in moderate cold weather instead of having an underquilt? ok and one final, final question. how do you make a Whoopie sling? I watched Shugs videos, which were great but i cant figure out how they are made...
    1. Don't ever buy fabric from JoAnn's without a 40% or 50% off coupon.
    2. Know that JoAnn's Ripstop sport fabric is a lower quality, though for a hammock it should work just fine.
    3. The $1.50/yd fabric mentioned here on HF is all from Walmart's clearance bins. Most Walmarts are getting rid of these sections, so it's hit or miss if they have the clearance, and it's hit or miss within the clearance section if they've got fabric that will suit your needs (it's best if you know what you're looking for already).
    4. Fleece, alone, would not do a great deal for warmth underneath you - though it would add a bit.
    5. If you do a fleece hammock, I recommend doing it as a double layer (as previously mentioned) - fleece is not strong enough for this application in my opinion. Also - it would make your hammock very bulky and heavy.
    6. The Seattle fabrics source mentioned earlier is one of the most expensive online vendors. Try www.owfinc.com and www.questoutfitters.com. With these vendors - you're getting quality material.

Looks like you've got some exciting plans for your own DIY projects! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

• + New Posts