DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I think the latest research says that Picaridin at concentrations >= 20% is as effective as DEET against most mosquitoes and that Picaridin has a similar duration of effect. Last I read through the journals (last Summer) its effectiveness against ticks was less well understood, though promising. Since ticks are the main target for me I use a combination approach with Permethrin on my clothes, DEET on my lower legs, boots, and socks (all leather boots), and Picaridin up top for mosquito protection.

When hiking and less worried about ticks I usually use Picaridin alone.

As for the original question, DEET has different effects on different fabrics. Nylon appears to be structurally resistant to DEET damage, meaning that it does not "dissolve" nor do the fibers change diameter after exposure as though eroding. However, there have been reports that the fibers' physical properties, mainly elasticity, can be affected and that nylon exposed to high concentrations for long periods of time can become somewhat stretchier and elongate more, even if their breaking strength remains unchanged. (See a comment about 1/3 of the way down here: https://www.mountainproject.com/foru...deet-and-nylon). Note that the fibers were saturated and if you've worn DEET for deveral hours the concentration on your skin is likely to be extremely low.

Other fabrics and their coatings are likely to be damaged more severely than nylon. So if your fabrics have a polyurethane coating or are polyester-based you may want to be a bit more careful. SPECTRA fibers seem to be as immune to DEET as they are to other things. Same with polyamides like KEVLAR. Finally, there is much reporting that DEET ruins waterproof membranes and this may be true for some, but not for real Gore-Tex, since real Gore-Tex is made from a PTFE (Teflon) membrane and is resistant to almost every solvent known to man. And DEET appears to damage polyethylene and poly vinyl chlorides very quickly so be careful with plastic bags and such.

Good luck.

Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    I had a small pump bottle of deet repellant leak in the top of my backpack and it melted the inside waterproofing layer off. I was done with it after that. Permethrin on soft goods and Picaradin on my skin. It works well. I use Natrapel Picaradin spray. It smells great. They were out of it at the store last weekend, though, so I tried a Repel brand lemon oil and citronella spray. It's not as long lasting as Picaradin, but it was quite effective at keeping the flying critters out of my face. It tatses AWFUL, though, so to put it on your face/neck/ears, etc, put a couple pumps in your hands and smear it on that way. The Repel brand Picaradin is quite effective but smells a bit like diesel fuel when I goes on, to me. Good luck!

Cheers,
    The Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Jungle
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Revelation/Gemini
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    "I love the smell of DEET in the morning. It smells like...victory."

Lol!

I like how DEET performs and donít mind the smell, but I hate how it affects plastic. Iíve had very good luck with permethrin on my Gear and pericardium on me. I think permethrin is the primary ingredient to keeping bugs off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    EE Enigma, Revolt
    Suspension
    Venom-J-bend-CL
    Last summer I did a trip with some friends to Pharaoh wilderness (not really all that wild, actually ) in the Adirondacks. I was using 30% DEET and my friends were using picaridin. Even with the DEET I was still getting a few bites here and there, but my friends were being eaten alive. Fortunately I had enough DEET to share.

I had tested picaridin before and it did not work for me. Clearly YMMV and I hope it works for you.
    Late spring 'for real UL' hammock backpacking list

Confidence is the happy zone between arrogance and caution. ó Me

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    EE Enigma, Revolt
    Suspension
    Venom-J-bend-CL
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    Lol!

I like how DEET performs and donít mind the smell, but I hate how it affects plastic. Iíve had very good luck with permethrin on my Gear and pericardium on me. I think permethrin is the primary ingredient to keeping bugs off.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want any of that stuff on my pericardium.
    Late spring 'for real UL' hammock backpacking list

Confidence is the happy zone between arrogance and caution. ó Me

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Jungle
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Revelation/Gemini
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want any of that stuff on my pericardium.
    Lol, omg **** autocorrect!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    WB quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch, UCR
    Images
    I wonder, are mosquitoes of plastic? Maybe that is why DEET works on them.....
    Call me Junior

Pirating Ė Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF