DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Speer Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Yeti clone
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hey Thunder

Great suggestions on the parks in Northern Ontario. So far it seems most of the people are in the southern and south western part of the province. With the exception of Clark-o-phile. He is in Quebec (between montreal and quebec city).

At least from my point of origin. Killarney provincial park would be almost a 5.5 hour drive. A little far for a weekend adventure. Lake superior Provinical park is even further.

Looks like Bon Echo is the current favourite for a weekend type of a hang. It might be far for you, but the more the merrier at this point.
    Yeah sorry, I didn't really look where everyone lived in Ontario before I posted. I just threw out some places that I thought would be interesting. Yeah I definitely agree that most of my ideas are too far for everyone. I hope it all works out.
    THE JOURNEY IS THE DESTINATION...

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.1
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I am interested and will stay tuned. kilarney and algonquin are both pretty busy these days. I have only car camped at bon echo and didn't know of backcountry there, so would be interested in checking that out. I am lucky enough to be going canoeing in quetico in early august - second time there and I love that area, but it is far for many of us. If we wait until after labour day, things will open up quite a bit, bugs will die off quite a bit - algonquin would be awesome. I have only ever canoed there and would look forward walking around there a bit.

i'm staying tuned.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Greeting Guys

I am going to contact Bon Echo Provincial Park the first of this week and find out more information on their back country camping sites. Ie max people per site, where the sites are in relation to the 3 main hiking trails, verify the pricing information. etc. I will see if they have any pictures of those sites posted anywhere.

I'll post back when I get that information.

It's beginning to look like we have the where worked out, it's now just a matter of when.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250 Camo
    Suspension
    Clark Drip Ring
    I'm definetly interested in a group hang. I live close to Algonquin so I'm inclined to want to go there. It's amazing beautiful country there. I live in Muskoka and there are tons of places around here. I'm open to suggestions. Keep me posted. Maybe a vote of the top ten places would be a good idea to figure out what's do-able and what's not.

I just got instantly excited about this. Let's make it happen. If it's Algonquin I don't mind doin some leg work for info if it's required.

Cheers
    Kevin
    aka Muskoka hangin
    The tree doesn't fall far from the nut.

I might be in depending on the Date June July or August is best for me

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Greeting Guys

I am going to contact Bon Echo Provincial Park the first of this week and find out more information on their back country camping sites. Ie max people per site, where the sites are in relation to the 3 main hiking trails, verify the pricing information. etc. I will see if they have any pictures of those sites posted anywhere.

I'll post back when I get that information.

It's beginning to look like we have the where worked out, it's now just a matter of when.

Cheers

Brian
    Greetings Everyone

I spoke with someone at Bon Echo Provincial Park today. There are 5 sites along the Abes and Essens Lake Trail. I got the numbers of what the guy said were the 2 premium sites on the trail. He also mentioned that there was a max of 6 people per site (3 tents and a dining shelter max). I didn't specifically ask about hammocks, but I did mention that the people I was going with are all of the ultralight equipment variety. The sites do require reservations and cost $9.50 per night per person (the guy wasn't exactly sure on the cost for additional people (central reservation system).

To avoid bug season (black flies, mosquitoes, deer flies) the best month to go would be August. The guy also indicated that these back country camping sites are only ever about 50% booked. I guess most campers aren't interested in getting some exercise or peace and tranquility. Their loss.

I would think we would need to put a reservation in by the end of April.

If anyone has any questions on this information, feel free to ask away.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark camo NX200
    Insulation
    Z-liner,TR Neo-Air
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Greetings Everyone

I spoke with someone at Bon Echo Provincial Park today. There are 5 sites along the Abes and Essens Lake Trail. I got the numbers of what the guy said were the 2 premium sites on the trail. He also mentioned that there was a max of 6 people per site (3 tents and a dining shelter max). I didn't specifically ask about hammocks, but I did mention that the people I was going with are all of the ultralight equipment variety. The sites do require reservations and cost $9.50 per night per person (the guy wasn't exactly sure on the cost for additional people (central reservation system).

To avoid bug season (black flies, mosquitoes, deer flies) the best month to go would be August. The guy also indicated that these back country camping sites are only ever about 50% booked. I guess most campers aren't interested in getting some exercise or peace and tranquility. Their loss.

I would think we would need to put a reservation in by the end of April.

If anyone has any questions on this information, feel free to ask away.

Cheers

Brian
    Hello Brian,if you set this up,count me in.
    Sounds like you did a fair bit of research here.This looks like a done deal to me.
    Most people will prefer august cause of the pesky little buggers,i'm all for it but i could also hang in mid-june toowhen these pesky mosquitoes,black flies are in full production

Thanks for the great work up to now,very promising guys.

Clark-O-Phile

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    I'm sure I could possibly check it out.
    One issue though, never been back country camping before and wouldn't want to be a burden, but I figure theres no one better to learn from than the professionals.

I'll be watching this thread to get more information.
    I like metric, I use metric, for those of you who don't ... you should, for those of you who won't ... here.
    0*C - 32*F, 10*C - 50*F, 20*C - 68*F, 30*C - 86*F
    100g - 3.52oz, 500g - 17.63oz, 1kg - 2.2lbs, 16oz - 1lbs
    10cm - 3.9", 1m - 3.28ft, 1km - 0.62mi

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark camo NX200
    Insulation
    Z-liner,TR Neo-Air
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasuko View Post
    One issue though, never been back country camping before and wouldn't want to be a burden, but I figure theres no one better to learn from than the professionals.

I dont speak for the group but i believe everyone will welcome you with open arms,after all,we tend to hang around people that share the same passion of the outdoors as we do so,i welcome you to be a burden to me
    You are welcome to come,i believe the more the better and you will surely learn a few things as i will too.

Hang tight!
    Clark-O-Phile

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasuko View Post

There is no burden, expect for the one you impose on yourself. Everyone is/was new to this style of camping at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark-O-Phile View Post
    I dont speak for the group but i believe everyone will welcome you with open arms,after all,we tend to hang around people that share the same passion of the outdoors as we do so,i welcome you to be a burden to me
    You are welcome to come,i believe the more the better and you will surely learn a few things as i will too.
    Clark-O-Phile is correct. The more the merrier. The only difference in back country camping is that you have to hike to your camp site instead of drive your car to it. So you do need a decent back pack and be able to follow a marked trail with a map. Detailed packing is essential, because the hike back to the car for that forgotten item can be a royal pain. Bring enthusiasm and a willingness to learn and you will be all set.

Cheers

Brian

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast