Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

New MRS20 fabrics, what’s this?

Noticed UGQ is now offering a outer shell fabric called MRS20; short for micro-ripstop. They have a small description of the fabric, but I wanted to start a thread here to see what more can be said about it and to let you guys know. Anyone have any experience or seen this used elsewhere? Here is UGQ’s description:

“MRS20 is our ultralight 20-denier mirco-ripstopped, calendared DOWNPROOF nylon. It has a 20-denier nylon thread woven into a micro-ripstop pattern, resulting in an exceptionally strong fabric with a finish weight of only 1.1oz/yd2. MRS20 has a Durable Water Repellant (DWR) finish applied to the face side of the fabric, protecting you and your down from environmental moisture. MRS20 retains a high level of breathability, allowing moisture from your body to pass through the quilt, preventing excessive condensation inside the down chamber. MRS20 has excellent color depth, giving your quilt a rich, luxurious look and feel. MRS20 has the softest feel of all our outer shell fabrics including HD1.0. MRS20 is an excellent combination of weight, durability, and value. MRS20 has received a 5 out of 5 score on the International Rotating Box Down proof Test (a score of 3 is considered “average”).”

It seems to be an alternative to HD1.0, so let’s look at their description of that here as well:

“HD1.0 is our line of lightweight diamond-grid ripstop nylon. Designed to provide superior performance and feel compared to standard square-grid ripstop, HD1.0 is both stronger and softer, with a unique visual pop. At only 1.0 oz/yd2, HD1.0 performs to the same standard as standard 1.1 oz/yd2 fabrics, without sacrificing strength or durability, making it the premium fabric choice when conditions demand the most from you and your gear. HD1.0 has a Durable Water Repellant finish applied to the face side of the fabric to protect both you and your down from environmental moisture. HD1.0 has received a 4 out of 5 score on the International Rotating Box Down proof Test (a score of 3 is considered average).”

So, it seems like it is more downproof due to calendaring, has a deeper color, and is softer feeling for a small increase in weight. Oh, and HD1.0 will now be $10 extra, so the MRS20 is cheaper too. Sounds great! Thanks to the UGQ team for the constant improvements!

Question for UGQ: I notice that both the MRS20 and the HD1.0 options show a “+1.35oz” next to them. Is this just something you haven’t had a chance to update yet? I would imagine that they should be different, right?
    Last edited by HandyRandy; 06-17-2018 at 14:41.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    So, it seems like it is more downproof due to calendaring, has a deeper color, and is softer feeling for a small increase in weight. Oh, and HD1.0 will now be $10 extra, so the MRS20 is cheaper too. Sounds great! Thanks to the UGQ team for the constant improvements!

Question for UGQ: I notice that both the MRS20 and the HD1.0 options show a “+1.35oz” next to them. Is this just something you haven’t had a chance to update yet?I would imagine that they should be different, right?
    The actual difference between the two fabrics is extremely small, like less than .02 oz sq yard on the many samples we've weighted to get a general consensuses of the actual fabric weight. HD1.0 is classified as a 1oz per sq yd fabric by RBTR, MRS20 is classified as a 1.1oz fabric by RBTR. HD1.0 averages roughly 1.02-1.04 oz/sq yard based on color and MRS20 averages 1.03-1.05 oz/sq yd depending on color. Darker colors tend to be heavier and white tends to be the lightest in each of the fabric lines. With such a small difference and HD1.0 actually heavier on a few of the colors we left the specs alone. One thing to note is that while a fabric may be classified a 1.0 or 1.1 or 1.6 the actual fabric weight will tend to fluctuate from color to color, dye lot to dye lot, and mill run to mill run.

We've been working with MRS20 for about a month and have to say it is one of the best fabrics we have got our hands on. Super soft hand to it making the quilt amazingly soft yet still retain a high level of durability for a 20d fabric. HD1.0 tends to have a "Heavy" feel to it but is is a great fabric as well, never hurts to have more choice.....
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; Dutchw

Thanks For the info sr1355

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosman View Post
    Thanks For the info sr1355

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No problem, the more we work with MRS20 the more we LOVE it. It handles great in the machines which is a big plus, it is amazingly soft and has a great feel in the hand.
    Happy Hangin'

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

How do the colors compare between HD and MRS? Namely Coyote Brown. Would you share a pic and some personal opinions on the matter? I assume the MRS is darker and shinier? Is it similar to Robic?

Do you think we might see some MRS 1.2 or 1.6 etc for use in hammocks later down the road?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I've always been a little flummoxed in regards to the types of fabrics at UGQ. What's you lightest fabric?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    I've always been a little flummoxed in regards to the types of fabrics at UGQ. What's you lightest fabric?
    M10 would be the lightest but is not always the best choice for an outer shell. You'll give up some durability, wind resistance, and dwr performance for the UL weight. This goes for all 10d fabrics available on the market.
    Happy Hangin'

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    M10 would be the lightest but is not always the best choice for an outer shell. You'll give up some durability, wind resistance, and dwr performance for the UL weight. This goes for all 10d fabrics available on the market.
    Yeah, 10d is where I generally go. So far so good. The lighter the better for me. Thanks for the info.

• + New Posts