Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

damage from compression sack?

Is Apex damaged by being clinched down in a compression sack? Most days it would be compressed during travel time and allowed to fluff at night. Quilt would never be in compression more than 24 hours.

Thanks

Bob

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    Kifaru makes some gear in the apex. Many have packed it very tight and
    it is still very effective. I usually carry a Kifaru apex Woobie on winter trips
    and keep it very compressed in a stuff sack.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    We do not recemend the use of compression sacks. It’s just not great for any insulation of any type.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Many thanks Paul

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    BMJ Spinn.& DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Amen on compression bags! They are good for clothes etc, but never for anything that uses loft for insulation. I worked at an outdoor store and have seen too many good bags (0 degree, etc,) reduced to summer weight performance by people leaving them compressed after returning home.
    However, it is amazing how many folks just throw their compressed gear in the closet and forget about until it’s time to use it again, and wonder why the bag “just doesn’t work like it should”.
    Last edited by LazyBee; 06-19-2018 at 11:17.

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    I think the op was referring to camping not long term storage. "Arrowhead" can't be compressed
    in stuff sack without damage while backpacking?

Thank you in advance for clarifying.
    Last edited by Ohoopee; 06-19-2018 at 15:42.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    According to Climashield, "No matter how many times the garment is stretched, compressed or washed, our insulation is resilient under harsh conditions, holding its original shape after multiple uses or launderings."

I think the concern about compression is from the down where over-compression can damage the down which doesn't loft back up to its original size. Since Apex is a continuous filament insulation I don't believe it's damaged in the same way. It wouldn't hurt to leave it uncompressed but I wouldn't think there would be any serious reduction in insulation once you give it a bit of time to uncompress.

I store by down quilts and sleeping bags uncompressed but I don't worry about my synthetic insulation. OTOH, I don't compress the crap out of them and just put them in the bottom of the pack and let the weight of everything else compress it.

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    This was my impression also. Glad I don't have to cut the sewn-in compression
    sack from my Kifaru woobie!!!.

Quote Originally Posted by scrope View Post
    According to Climashield, "No matter how many times the garment is stretched, compressed or washed, our insulation is resilient under harsh conditions, holding its original shape after multiple uses or launderings."

I think the concern about compression is from the down where over-compression can damage the down which doesn't loft back up to its original size. Since Apex is a continuous filament insulation I don't believe it's damaged in the same way. It wouldn't hurt to leave it uncompressed but I wouldn't think there would be any serious reduction in insulation once you give it a bit of time to uncompress.

I store by down quilts and sleeping bags uncompressed but I don't worry about my synthetic insulation. OTOH, I don't compress the crap out of them and just put them in the bottom of the pack and let the weight of everything else compress it.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohoopee View Post
    I think the op was referring to camping not long term storage. "Arrowhead" can't be compressed
    in stuff sack without damage while backpacking?Thank you in advance for clarifying.
    The OP asked about using a compression stuff sack which we do not recommend using. We include a stuff sack with all of our quilts that we do recommend and is just fine for use when hiking, camping and use when traveling.

Moderate compression that the included stuff sack puts on the gear is just fine and you should get many years of use when used as we recommend. But compression stuff sacks which can put an extreme amount of compression on the insulations (all insulation types) are not good for the best life of the gear. Compression stuff sacks are just not good for use on things like quilts, sleeping bags, puffy jackets and so on as you can put way way to much force on the insulation.

We look for our gear to perform at it's best for many years of use. We don't want to sell something that your only going to get a season or two use out of. We have feedback from the very first customers that purchased quilts from us nearly 9 years ago and thousands of other customers since and that gear is still going strong. Compression stuff sacks will reduce that life, I guarantee it. But if cared for we expect you should get many years of use from our gear.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

damage from compression sack?

That should be in the ten commandments; Thou shalt not compress thy insulation beyond necessity.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast