Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

A gift from the UK, 5 ounces of gold.

As many know I'm not a DIYer. Many excuses as to why but none worthy. About 6 weeks ago I noticed the hammock sock pictured in the DIY forum and made by Unsponsored in the UK. I PM'ed him and asked for a PayPal link, he responded by asking for my physical address. The day before the Mt. Rogers hang a parcel from Royal Mail arrived.
    I had intended to use a Warbonnet system for the hang but at the Usharrie hang I had become curious about a Wallcreeper and its use as generic peapod. Since I knew what a Yeti could do I chose to use the Wallcreeper and a Speer PeaPod on this trip--once the hammock sock was in hand I could sense that another match in heaven existed.
    The sock Unsponsored sent perfectly fit the length of the double peapod system, the only thing I needed to remember (which I didn't at first) is there is a tapered end; ToneJones helped me correct the error quickly without having to take everything down and start over).
    With the Wallcreeper around the Speer 8.5 and the Speer PeaPod wrapped around the Wallcreeper; the Unsponsored Sock is bunched at the foot end; once in the hammock you simply reach down and pull the sock up as far as you want.....the taper prevents you from pulling too far....after pulling there was about 4-6 inches of PeaPod exposed on the end (in the future Unsponsored my add some line you can tie off further up the support line to hold the tapered end in place. That six inches that was exposed did have a light layer of ice on it which I'm thinking was from condensation falling inside the tarp because the entire hammock rig was well within the tarp/beaks.
    Most of the first night found me asleep with only the sock fully over me; I'd not fully zipped the Wallcreeper or fully velcroed the PeaPod...after I woke at 0300 to water snow did I fully close both pods when I got back in.
    The second night (much colder) I fully enclosed pods and sock.
    Things to note, the sock fits length AND the radius of BOTH pods with varying amounts of space-obviously not so much space at the tapered end (but it was not compressing insulation ther); plenty of space over the body and head area.
    I cannot tell how much more warmth the sock gives; surely it provides as much if not more than the tarp. At the shelter the thermo read 9.6, inside the tarp I was at 16-17F, and we know tents usually give 10F and my tarp/beaks were fully to the ground....so a wild guess is that a sock will give another 5-8F.
    If you were not using a 2 pod system (the Wallcreeper and Speer PeaPod) then you would have a whole lot of space between the hammock/top quilt/underquilt and the sock.....it would drape on the rig minimizing air space.

For now at 5.2 (ish) ounces if I'm using a PeaPod or Wallcreeper or the two together I can see no reason not to carry the sock. I will continue to explore just how many degrees with various combinations as the seasos progress.
    Luckily I have one of the original Speer PeaPods that is the lightweight sewn through model. It would be great to use it and the sock in the warmer seasons for a major weight savings. Only time and experimentation will tell if 'warmer seasons' include below freezing.

Lastly a huge thank you to Unsponsored for allowing me to beta test this sock! His generosity heart felt and greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    TTTM Stealth Black & WBBB Double L
    Tarp
    Macat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Unsponsored 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    Images
    Thank you for giving it a good test.

It took longer than I thought (and Royal Mail thought) for it to arrive. Perfect timing I guess. Did you get any pics?

I have a bit of the same material left and will be working on the next one shortly!
    http://www.unsponsored.co.uk - Kayaking Site

http://www.bikeandbivi.com - Bikepacking, inc a MYOG section

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Good grief! You mean we had two socks at Mt Rogers, and we didn't compare rigs?!?

I heard you say you used the Wallcreeper inside the PeaPod, but I did not know you had Unsponsored's sock!

BTW, I got about 15 to 20 degrees out of my sock!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Good grief! You mean we had two socks at Mt Rogers, and we didn't compare rigs?!?

I heard you say you used the Wallcreeper inside the PeaPod, but I did not know you had Unsponsored's sock!

BTW, I got about 15 to 20 degrees out of my sock!

- MacEntyre
    Um, at least 4: Firewalker & I both use them.

Wish I had seen this one, mine is 15 OZ & I would love to save 10 OZ.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Macat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Unsponsored 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    Images
    MM, any imporvements to be made? How can I make the next one better?

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Improvements? Honestly it is simplistic pervection as is...I'm curious as to the name of the fabric you used..it is the lightest fabric I've handled with the exception of maybe silk...speaking of I wonder how silk would do as a hammock sock--anybody seen those silk liners people put in their sleeping bags?
    Next week when I get off I plan to test the Unsponsored sock with an original sewn through Speer PeaPod. I think it was rated to 40F (if memory serves and that is rare), so if the sock gives 10 more Fs then woohoo.
    Like I said, the only thing that happend was that on one end the taper pulled down onto the peapod about 4-6 inches..no biggie at all, but the opening really only has to accomodate the suspension line so it can be much smaller (maybe quarter size).....

Hammock
    Tarp
    Macat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Unsponsored 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    Images
    I plan to make another this weekend. Not really sure what the fabric is. It was light, a great colour and a good price. Its very similar to tent inner, but not quite the same. Not really sure what its original purpose may have been.

Pics to follow.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Had a thought, was looking at some bushcraft gear at a sight where I bought a spoon knife and saw this:
    http://www.shop.bushcraftnorthwest.c...4&categoryId=3
    All a man/woman would have to do is cut/sew a hole in the foot end for the suspension line to pass through-wallah, instant hammock sock. Thoughts for those of us who don't one end of a thread injector from another?
    The big positive is the Pertex Quantum Endurance 30D fabric....the BIG negative is the $100 price. As soon as I saw it I did think of what application to hammocking!
    Speaking of....the Hilleberg BivAnorak would work too, it's huge, waterproof/breathable but again a super stiff price and it is heavy for this application....just thinking out loud.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Wouldn't that nix the diagonal lay?

Curious,
    Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Acercanto, I think it depends on how much room the sock has. I used Unsponsored's around a Speer 8.5 wrapped with 2 peapods and still had room to get some diagonal lay in..maybe not as much without but I was comfortable to sleep a solid straight 10 hours the second night.
    I think different people need different amounts of diagonal to be comfortable...I'm the type who can lay on the straight and still sleep good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast