Hammock
    Hyperlite & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, CCF & BA
    Images

Neat Sheet

I found some Neat Sheets to use for a DIY SPE today at Toys-R-Us. After looking at this material is there any reason not to use this to make an undercover from?? Granted it's not as light as Silnylon actually not sure what it's exact weight is but feels light? It does breath a little and resists water and dirt better than Tyvek. Please advise...

http://www.theneatsheet.com/

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Somebody discussed this idea in some detail recently...not sure if it came to fruition or not, but it sounded promising.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I used the "Neat Sheet" for my sectional pad covers and well...I ended up removing it because it "pills up" as a result of sliding over it a dozen times. I had fuzz balls all over the velcro entranceway and after a while the pad looked pretty ratty. Decided to use lightweight camo riptop nylon with silicone adhesive spray on the bottom for slippage issues.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Great for ground cloth, not sturdy enough for anything else.

Hammock
    Hyperlite & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, CCF & BA
    Images
    Thanks Guys, ...you saved me from heading down the wrong trail! I'll save it for a another project. Cheers ~ GM

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I like my Neat Sheet so much That I wanted to pick up another one so the I could make it into a weather shield for my hammock. I decided to take a look on Ebay and I found this BIN auction for a combo pack of neat sheet; one family size (90x114") and one regular size (57x77") for $8 and $9 shipping. That's a really good deal, getting both for $17. I paid $8 for the regular size at Rite Aid and the family size is like $15.

I have come to LOVE my neat sheet.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    so have you not had the "pilling" that was mentioned?
    w/o asking you to go into great detail, what are your impressions about the difference in the neat sheet & tyvek?
    ...weight, durability, water-resistance vs breathability.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have had no "pilling" effect whatsoever. I have taken mine to the beach several times, camping a few times (as a ground cover), used a picnic blanket, and it has also been used by my wife as a cover for her cargo area in her SUV when she is hauling our dogs. All of this and it still hasn't shown any wear.

It has been washed 6-8 times has gotten really soft.

Tyvek vs. Neat Sheet?

The Neat Sheet is much softer than even washed Tyvek. Very comfortable against the skin. Reminds me of Frogg Toggs type material, only softer. Camparable to t-shirt cotton after it has been washed.

Neat Sheet is water resistant to a point. A light spray of moisture just beads up and can be shaken off. Water will pool on the sheet but it will get wet if pressure is added. For instance, if you sit on the Neat Sheet with a wet swim suit it will get wet. If submerged in water it will get wet. It dries really fast. Tyvek has it beat on water resistance.

Nothing sticks to my Neat Sheet including dirt, sand, sticks and leaves. Give it a shake and it's gone. BIG advantage over Tyvek. Anyone who has used a piece of Tyvek for a while knows it gets "hairy" and will pick up debris that is really hard to get it off.

Neat Sheet weighs 9.9 oz for a 57"x77" piece of fabric (regular size) after the weights are removed.

Neat Sheet is much more breathable than Tyvek. The material itself is 2 layers sewn together, but it's really easy to blow through it. Although breathable, I think it would do a lot as a wind stopper layer under a hammock, probably adding a few degrees of warmth. The website even states it can be used as a wind blocker.

I ordered a combo set of Neat Sheets from Ebay. My plan is to use to 2 regular sized Neat Sheets (I already have one regular size) to make a bottom weather shield from one and a summer top quilt/ \top weather shield from the other one. It been really hot this summer and I have found myself sleeping in boxers with no top quilt. Usaually I get cool in the early morning and I will use a top quilt that just covers my legs. I think a Neat Sheet top quilt would be perfect for summer time temps and also pull double duty as a top weather shield, just like the JRB top weather shield.

I am also pretty sure that I would be able to use the bottom weather shield as a very light under quilt, say temps ranging from 65-70*, maybe a little lower (I'm a very warm sleeper.) I am also going to use it as a mat for underneath my hammock when it's not being used as a weather shield. I like to have something to set my shoes and an other stuff on that keeps it from direct contact with the ground. I normally use my sit/torso pad but the Neat Sheet would be perfect for a "welcome mat" under my hammock.

If it is viable to use the Neat Sheet in the ways I described it will also be a nice weight savings and reduce bulk in my summertime setup not to mention it would be a dirt cheap way of making a summer under quilt/top quilt/weather shield/wind stopper/mat. Gotta love multi-use items

All in all, the more I use this Neat Sheet the more I like it and the more applications I can find for it. I would highly recommend picking one up and trying it out. The only complaint I have is the color. The website shows it available in different colors: Blue/light blue, red/blue, and green/purple. The only color I have seen in stores in the blue/light blue. The darker of the 2 blues would look alright facing out, but I would like to see the green color.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    thanks headchange. good info!
    i do know about "hairy" tyvek. i used a tyvek tarp for a couple or three years.
    i have a neat sheet that i never did much with. i think i'll get it out.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    During my vacation to Edisto Beach last week I got to do some field testing on the Neat Sheet. I used the NS as a quilt over 4 nights and for warm summer weather it is perfect. Most nights I slept with no quit most of the night because of temps, but is was perfect for the cooler early morning temps.

I received the combo pack that I got from Ebay the day before we left and I used the large size as a ground cover at the beach and the smaller size as blanket. In the evening we would sit on the beach with the large NS wrapped around us to block the wind coming off the ocean.

A NS also works great as a wind blocker. My wife and I used a box fan in our tent (Don't hate me. I still can't get her to sleep in a hammock). I could wrap the NS arond my feet and turn the fan on high and I could feel almost no air moving through the NS even though my feet were about 8" from the fan. This leads me to believe that this would work great as a summer top quilt or a summer under quilt with wind great blocking capabilities.

www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast