Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dutch snakeskins: am I missing something?

IMG_20180729_104805-1.jpg

This is my Dutch Xenon Hex, with snakeskins pulled on, then pulled back to cover the ends. If the shock cords at the ends are pulled tightly around the D-rings, I can't even get the middles to meet. If I _do_ pull the middles to overlap, the ends are squished up, which isn't really a problem, but as I stuff the whole snake into a stuff sack, the loose gap in the middle invariably opens.

I feel like there must be something I don't understand.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Are you sure you ordered the skins the correct length for your tarp? That's the only thing I can figure.

If you're sure about that then measure the actual length of the skins, there may have been an error in the measuring before they sewed them up. If that's the case I'm sure DWG will make it right.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Yeah... it may be that there was a mix up in the ordering or manufacturing... however, I don't believe they'll affect the function of them. If its on you, it should be fine. If it's on DWG, I'm sure they'll make it right.

Cheers,
    The Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Dutch's website says the Tarp Sleeves should fit an 11 or 12 ft. tarp.

"Featuring two 6’ sleeves will make it nice to accommodate your 11’ or 12’ tarp."

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/tarp-sleeve/

Is your tarp 11' or 12' feet long, or longer?

The website also says that, "We have also used shock cord and mini cord locks on the end of each sleeve to secure it in place when its time to pack up and go." I have snakeskins from Hennessy and HammockGear, and they don't have "shock cord and mini cord locks." It seems the cord locks would need to be loosened in order to "get the middles to meet." Otherwise, the shock cord would keep pulling the tarp sleeves back at the middle as you tried to roll up your tarp.

I pull my tarp sleeves over my tarp, then roll the tarp up and put it in a stuff sack. Just the act of rolling the tarp up causes the tarp sleeves to pull back at the middle, so I have to have a couple or three inches of overlap before I start rolling. I've gotten better at it and it's less and less of a problem to "get the middles to meet." I definitely don't worry if there is an inch or two of tarp that are not covered by snakeskin.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Dutch snakeskins: am I missing something?

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but the "what to do at the middle" conundrum is what drove me to one-piece skins. Overlap? Add KAM snaps and snap them together? The wire (?) forms in the HH skins, and the whole center-bubble problem... I dealt with all that but never with too-short skins. With a one-piece I can deploy faster and with greater consistency... and I get 100% coverage.

As for your skins, yeah, a look with a measuring tape will probably inform you what to do next.

Thanks for your suggestions.

There's only one tarp sleeve offered. As SilvrSurfr mentioned, it's supposed to be for 11' or 12' tarps. I have the 11'. I just measured the pieces of sleeve, and they're each only about 67" long, uncinched, so there's no surprise that they don't have much overlap (and it comes apart easily).

Yes, I was wondering about adding shock-cord-and-lock to one middle end, then cinching it over the other. Snaps are a good idea, too. Or I may just leave it alone. With a 2" overlap, if I fold gently at the middle and start the stuffing from there, it seems to be still contained when I pull it back out.

I can also see how a single sleeve would be a good solution. I liked the rope pockets at the end of Dutch's, and I was on the site, anyway, ordering my tarp and hardware, so I ran with it. I suppose, if the cord-locked end is large enough to slide over the whole thing, I could just sew the two middles together, and I'd have a one-piece with pockets.
    Last edited by framjam; 07-30-2018 at 09:17.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Dutch Dyneema Rect
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    I added a cam snap to each of the sleeves. A quick snap and it keeps the sleeves from separating when I'm stuffing it in my pack.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal9 View Post
    I added a cam snap to each of the sleeves. A quick snap and it keeps the sleeves from separating when I'm stuffing it in my pack.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I added cam snaps to mine as well.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by framjam View Post
    I have the 11'. I just measured the pieces of sleeve, and they're each only about 67" long, uncinched, so there's no surprise that they don't have much overlap (and it comes apart easily).
    Mine is 71". I'm using it in a minifly tarp. They overlap like a charm.
    Last edited by Halfed; 07-31-2018 at 08:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfed View Post
    Mine is 71". I'm using it in a minifly tarp. It is overlap it like a charm.
    Dutch sleeve or Warbonnet? If yours is 71", that's a lot closer to the 6' spec than mine!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast