Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    12+ years now, 5 hennesy's (original, Expo, explorer, ULBP) all with the original "1/4" to spare" Asym tarps.
    about 3-5 trips a year with my complete cast of HH's filled with kids, for over 10 years.

One time, and one time only did any ever get wet, my then 13 year old brought a friend. When we pulled off the river they set up their hammocks, my son put his friends asym tarp on backwards, it rained, he got wet.

now it is typ just me and my now 16 year old son, 5-6 times a season,, we have gone to large hex tarps, just because. weight is not an issue (kayaks) so why not? like the idea of all my gear under it and staying dry even in porch mode.

I have never used an asym, but after a few nasty, night-long storms with a 12' hex, I can guarantee I will never go any smaller.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, one thing I can say for the HH Exped Asym postage-stamp tarp, is that it got me through the heaviest rainfall I have ever seen and it was my first night in a hammock! We got five inches of rain that night, and you couldn't leave anything on the ground unless you wanted it to wash away, never to be found again.

Of course, this was in a heavily wooded section of the Adirondacks, with absolutely no wind. My ground-pounding friend slept in an Adirondack shelter. Not only did he get wet, but he had rodents running across his sleeping bag all night long and couldn't get any sleep.

The overnight rainfall was so heavy that, when we went to our next campsite the following morning (Lake Lila), we had to offload ALL equipment (and we had 800 lbs. of equipment, including canoe) from my 1994 Cadillac El Dorado in order to get the clearance to go through some of the flooding (squishy suspension). You know the flooding is bad when you have to walk out into it, then measure on your legs whether the engine will clear it.

What would normally be a 1-hour trip took us three hours - unpacking and packing equipment from the Cadillac as we crossed flooded areas. At least we had a canoe to paddle the gear across!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is all I see reading your story,,

moe and joe.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Well, one thing I can say for the HH Exped Asym postage-stamp tarp, is that it got me through the heaviest rainfall I have ever seen and it was my first night in a hammock! We got five inches of rain that night, and you couldn't leave anything on the ground unless you wanted it to wash away, never to be found again.

Of course, this was in a heavily wooded section of the Adirondacks, with absolutely no wind. My ground-pounding friend slept in an Adirondack shelter. Not only did he get wet, but he had rodents running across his sleeping bag all night long and couldn't get any sleep.

The overnight rainfall was so heavy that, when we went to our next campsite the following morning (Lake Lila), we had to offload ALL equipment (and we had 800 lbs. of equipment, including canoe) from my 1994 Cadillac El Dorado in order to get the clearance to go through some of the flooding (squishy suspension). You know the flooding is bad when you have to walk out into it, then measure on your legs whether the engine will clear it.

What would normally be a 1-hour trip took us three hours - unpacking and packing equipment from the Cadillac as we crossed flooded areas. At least we had a canoe to paddle the gear across!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackdaddy View Post
    This is all I see reading your story,,

moe and joe.jpg
    Actually, my mistake - it was a 1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille!

sedandeville.jpg
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson