MYOG Using Campmor Bargain Tarps

I thought about buying 2 of these, sewing them together, then making a 9.5x12' Caternary cut tarp.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___90552

Are these tarps really bad quality? Is $40 too good to be true?

I don't understand why they have this 8x9.5' tarp for cheaper than a 6x8' tarp pf apparently the same material.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For the same money you could also get this 12'x10' tarp and not have to bother with the diy route other than adding some webbing tieouts through the grommets like Hawkeye did. (have to search for that thread).

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___22218

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    foam pad
    Suspension
    Warbonnet web
    I bought one about a month ago and it seem's to be of good quality. Made by Outdoor Products,same company that makes Wal-Mart back packs. It is made in China.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    IMHO: If you're going to sew, you might as well do the whole thing... that 1.9oz/yd is only before they add the coating. That said, the coated nylon tarps are completely waterproof and should last many years. (just don't throw it in the washing machine...)

I have a DIY DWR tarp made from cheapo WW 1.1 ripstop. I enhanced the DWR with a $4 can of silicone based waterproofing spray.

Works well enough for me. I don't get wet under it... (not that we get any REAL rain in so-cal)

Total cost: $~25, if I count my time as free...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    For the same money you could also get this 12'x10' tarp and not have to bother with the diy route other than adding some webbing tieouts through the grommets like Hawkeye did. (have to search for that thread).

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___22218

Cheers

Brian
    Ha. I can;t believe I missed that. Thank you. I would much rather go that route, with just doing a caternary cut on the edges...if even.

Quote Originally Posted by nrephil View Post
    I bought one about a month ago and it seem's to be of good quality. Made by Outdoor Products,same company that makes Wal-Mart back packs. It is made in China.
    Have you weighed it? I saw that it was the Outdoors brand. That kinda scared me a little...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    IMHO: If you're going to sew, you might as well do the whole thing... that 1.9oz/yd is only before they add the coating. That said, the coated nylon tarps are completely waterproof and should last many years. (just don't throw it in the washing machine...)

I have a DIY DWR tarp made from cheapo WW 1.1 ripstop. I enhanced the DWR with a $4 can of silicone based waterproofing spray.

Works well enough for me. I don't get wet under it... (not that we get any REAL rain in so-cal)

Total cost: $~25, if I count my time as free...
    All of our Walmarts have discontinues their fabric sections. The only places I have to get ripstop is from Joanne Fabrics or Hobby Lobby. they are both in the $6-$7 range for untreated ripstop.

I wouldn't mind buying some cheap ripstop and coating it or just getting some cheap silnylon online, somewhere. Best price I can find, though, is $6.30 yd for 2nds, and that equals about $40 + Shipping, anyway.

Know of any better prices?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    JoAnn's website has a ton of coupons...usually a 50% off on for single purchase fabric. I wouldn't go into JoAnn's without a coupon.
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    jeremyduncan - Check out the Noah Lamport's website and give them a call. $3/yd, but you have to buy 10 yards. It's really nice stuff and it's wider than most silnylon you find.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    $3/yd for sil? Wow. even at 10 yards, that's cheap.

sclittlefield has been selling batches of untreated ripstop for $2.50 + shipping.

Sil is the best way to go, but on the campmoor tarp for $40: if you can get a working tarp for little work... I guess it all depends on if you're a "gram weenie" or not. Me? I like making my own gear (it's certainly NOT cheaper, and often not better than what I could buy...)

I've heard of mixed results from various folks coating their own. From what I've read, avoid over-coating (wipe up drips/runs) and you'd be ok. but I don't know... There are many threads here on the subject.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by TroutEhCuss View Post
    jeremyduncan - Check out the Noah Lamport's website and give them a call. $3/yd, but you have to buy 10 yards. It's really nice stuff and it's wider than most silnylon you find.
    Just ordered 10 yards of black. There was a $5 cutting fee. He said if he can fit it in a priority mail prepackaged box, it will be $5 to ship, if he had to box it and send UPS, it would be $10-12.

Either way I am getting 10 yards of black silnylon for under $50. I am not great at sewing, but I am pretty confident I can sew a ridgeseam. I can mess the edges up as much as I want and stay dry.

Once I get a little better at sewing, I'll probably use the leftover to make a g4 pack.

Thanks, TroutEhCuss

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyduncan View Post
    Just ordered 10 yards of black. There was a $5 cutting fee. He said if he can fit it in a priority mail prepackaged box, it will be $5 to ship, if he had to box it and send UPS, it would be $10-12.

Either way I am getting 10 yards of black silnylon for under $50. I am not great at sewing, but I am pretty confident I can sew a ridgeseam. I can mess the edges up as much as I want and stay dry.

Once I get a little better at sewing, I'll probably use the leftover to make a g4 pack.

Thanks, TroutEhCuss
    Great opportunity to learn a flat fell seam on that ridge line.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts