Images

Spinshelter tarp

Does anyone own a Gossamer Gear Spinnshelter?http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...n-Shelter.html It looks like it might be usable for use as a hammock tarp/ground shelter and for a weight penalty of only 9oz. I was told I could order it and if it didn't work for me I could return it. I just thought if someone already had one they might have some input on why it would or wouldn't work.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    It's what I use with my Speer 8.5. At an actual 114" length it's adequate but a bit shorter than I would prefer. Limits my standing room when pitched low for windy rain conditions.

Steve

Images
    [QUOTE=millergear;25730]It's what I use with my Speer 8.5. At an actual 114" length it's adequate but a bit shorter than I would prefer. Limits my standing room when pitched low for windy rain conditions.

Steve,

Is this tarp fairly stormworthy when pitched over the hammock? I'm trying to decide if this is an area I want to shed some weight or if I should start looking elsewhere. I will be facing many large storms when I start my hike as it will still be in the middle of hurricane season. Daily T-storms are the norm during this time. I guess what I'm getting at is this: is this a shelter that I could hole up in for a few days if necessary? Saving weight is tempting but not if I have to remain in my hammock for days at a time in order to stay dry.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    It is quite storm worthy. While you could hole up under it for few days it would be to confining for me. For your purposes you need something larger like the MacCat Deluxe w/Guyline kit. 20 Oz and $130 plus shipping.

If you would consider a used tarp let me know. I have a very similar tarp, complete w/guyline kit, with only 3 nights use I'd like to sell (for $90). It was crafted by someone on this Forum and is very professionaly done. Just to heavy for my needs.

Steve

Images
    If you would consider a used tarp let me know. I have a very similar tarp, complete w/guyline kit, with only 3 nights use I'd like to sell (for $90). It was crafted by someone on this Forum and is very professionaly done. Just to heavy for my needs.
    [/QUOTE]

Steve,

I thank you for your offer but I am currently carrying a modified McCat tarp. I was hoping to shed some weight but I think this disscusion has convinced me that this is not an item that I want to short myself on. Thank you.
    Brian

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i looked at those tarps (on line) & my concern would be the coverage of the hammock, much less for cooking, etc.
    especially when you could spend a lot of time in your hammock.
    i'm afraid i would begin to feel pretty confined.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i looked at those tarps (on line) & my concern would be the coverage of the hammock, much less for cooking, etc.
    especially when you could spend a lot of time in your hammock.
    i'm afraid i would begin to feel pretty confined.
    Me too, I think I'll stick with the tarp I have.
    Brian

• + New Posts