Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    I think Kyle would be better served taking them down to the engineering department of his local university!

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I ordered the TiXL’s. If they are as thick as a whoopie hook, and they appear to be, then I’m going to presume they are plenty strong.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I ordered the TiXL’s. If they are as thick as a whoopie hook, and they appear to be, then I’m going to presume they are plenty strong.
    We don't want to overpromise and sign-up to a number before showing actual test results, but we're confident that the Ti XL breaking strength is well north of 1000 lbs.

It turns out 16 years of combined engineering school comes in handy occasionally

Hammock
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by LoopAlien View Post
    We don't want to overpromise and sign-up to a number before showing actual test results, but we're confident that the Ti XL breaking strength is well north of 1000 lbs.

It turns out 16 years of combined engineering school comes in handy occasionally
    Well at 150lbs, I will personally consider myself an appropriate early adopter

Images
    I can understand the reluctance for a small vendor to commit to a strength in this litigious world. But what you say would satisfy me.
    The other sticking point, (and one that is difficult for a small volume producer to get around) is the price.
    $34 for a pair does not stand up well when compared to most of Dutch's bling, which averages around $15-$20.

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    I can understand the reluctance for a small vendor to commit to a strength in this litigious world. But what you say would satisfy me.
    The other sticking point, (and one that is difficult for a small volume producer to get around) is the price.
    $34 for a pair does not stand up well when compared to most of Dutch's bling, which averages around $15-$20.
    True enough. The Ti RCA XL is almost twice the price of the Ti RCA. Seems steep for that specific product. OTOH, a pair of Beetle Buckles is priced at $25 and seems more complex from a manufacturing standpoint.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Well perhaps it’s just that Dutch is very good at sourcing materials, which allows him to set competitive prices. I am reminded of a post he made here a few days ago. This was just a snippet of it:

“I buy all my Titanium and Aluminum domestically, I have it cut 11 miles from my house and either we do the finishing ourselves or we send it to South Carolina.”

A number of possibilities indeed... LoopAlien is so mysterious!!!

But no seriously, I wish I could let you guys in on some secrets, but you know what they say... Loose lips sink ships. We likes to float

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Isn't the bigger issue with this application the pinching/crushing of the cordage itself?
    I'm thinking back to the Speed Hook issue... I can visualize how the loop alien (especially the bigger one) might introduce a larger radius/cleaner bend but if I recall correctly it was the pinching of the cordage under itself and against the metal surface that killed that product... in a load bearing application that is.

I would suspect that the hardware itself wouldn't fail (within reason)... but neither did the speed hook. So don't you still have the same issue with the cordage getting chewed up and compromised?

I'm also not picturing how this would be better with webbing. (from the perspective of reducing damage to dyneema fibers)
    Maybe one of those seeing in person issues; but I'd think you run a higher chance of pinching individual strands with the flat webbing than you would with braided cordage?

I like the idea of this system... to me the cordage remains the weak point.
    At some point most of us here are big enough nerds that we'll find the money

Hammock
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Isn't the bigger issue with this application the pinching/crushing of the cordage itself?
    I'm thinking back to the Speed Hook issue... I can visualize how the loop alien (especially the bigger one) might introduce a larger radius/cleaner bend but if I recall correctly it was the pinching of the cordage under itself and against the metal surface that killed that product... in a load bearing application that is.

I would suspect that the hardware itself wouldn't fail (within reason)... but neither did the speed hook. So don't you still have the same issue with the cordage getting chewed up and compromised?

I'm also not picturing how this would be better with webbing. (from the perspective of reducing damage to dyneema fibers)
    Maybe one of those seeing in person issues; but I'd think you run a higher chance of pinching individual strands with the flat webbing than you would with braided cordage?

I like the idea of this system... to me the cordage remains the weak point.
    At some point most of us here are big enough nerds that we'll find the money
    Good question. Thanks for looking out. So is this something that would show some early signs or wear before failure or something that would typically fail all at once? I ask because we could gather some feedback from folks who have been experimenting with this already to see if they spot any signs of wear upon close inspection.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast