Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear

A Question for Dutch

Your hammocks come with a zip tie through the channel, creating a "knob" on each end. I have always larksheaded the suspension behind the knob, and that works fine, but shortens the effective length of the hammock by 3-4 inches. Is there a reason to choose this method over attaching the suspension through the channels? Stronger? More durable? Expediancy? Inquiring minds...
    Dave

"I dearly love the state of Texas, but I consider that a harmless perversion on my part, and discuss it only with consenting adults". Molly Ivins

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Images
    Dave, I don't know Dutch's reason, but I make the knob on the ends because I don't trust my stitching.Truth be told I have made hammocks with channels and they held me, but I sleep more confidently with the knob.
    The way I've made each type, I don't think there is that much difference in the length of raw fabric. When I make the knob, my channel is only a 1/4". My channels for suspension line is 1-1/2" to facilitate easy insertion & removal of the suspension line. Plus, for the channel, I spread out 4 rows of stitching about 1/4" apart, fearing too many holes punched too close together may weaken the fabric.
    Finally, I like having the knobs as I can simply loop my underquilt suspension over them, or cinch my bugnet opening over them, etc. All that kind of stuff is secured without any hardware due to the bulk of the knobs.
    In the end, it's probably 6 of one, half dozen of another.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Your hammocks come with a zip tie through the channel, creating a "knob" on each end. I have always larksheaded the suspension behind the knob, and that works fine, but shortens the effective length of the hammock by 3-4 inches. Is there a reason to choose this method over attaching the suspension through the channels? Stronger? More durable? Expediancy? Inquiring minds...
    The zip tie is put in place if there is no suspension ordered. They are meant to be removed and the suspension run through the channel.
    DutchWare Gear
    www.DutchWareGear.com

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Bandit/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Spider1.5, Toggles

A Question for Dutch

As noted above, the zip tie is a placeholder. I would assume it is added for your convenience and to serve as a tutorial. But some folks do deliberately wrap it around a “knob” as you outlined above. Warbonnet does this for example. FYI, it is referred to as “whipping” a hammock, or a “whipped hammock”.

I believe the primary purposes for this method are:

It allows you customize the length of the hammock on the fly. You can easily untie it and temporarily shorten it. Or you can even pull certain parts of it more snug than the rest effectively changing the way it feels.

Less stitching required.

Stitching weakens fabric.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Winter Wooki
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I use this type of whipping for SL hammocks made with 30D or 20D fabrics. Suspending a hammock from the channels puts a lot of stress on the bottom seam. With stronger fabrics this usually doesn't matter, although I would also whip those if I knew that the hammock would be continuously used close to its capacity - but I had lighter fabrics unravelling at the seam.

Hammock
    WBBB Xlc, Sierra Madre solo,
    Tarp
    Warbonnet tarp
    Insulation
    Camping pad
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    You are awesome for what you do and what you have built! Keep it up Dutch!!!!🤩