Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly-Custom
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    All Sorts of
    Had a blast at the winter Grayson hang, and I'd love to be at this one but unfortunately it looks like that weekend may already be booked for me. Y'all have fun anyways!
    "The world is a complicated place Hobbes"
    "Whenever it seems that way, I take a nap in a tree and wait for dinner"
    -Calvin and Hobbes

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    Something to note (perhaps),
    There have been a whole lot bear issues in and around the park (Grayson Highlands) this late spring/early summer. The vast majority being, food bags being taken (multiple per night). There's a thread on it over on WB fwiw. One attack on woman and dog, though that seems not to have been related to a food bag, and maybe more so an unleashed dog as I understand it.
    Might be a good idea to keep in touch with the park for updates: trail closures, site closures, further bear encounters, food grabs, etc... Hopefully will be a complete non-issue come end of September - time will tell...

u.w.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by u.willie View Post
    There have been a whole lot bear issues in and around the park (Grayson Highlands) this late spring/early summer. The vast majority being, food bags being taken (multiple per night). There's a thread on it over on WB fwiw. One attack on woman and dog, though that seems not to have been related to a food bag, and maybe more so an unleashed dog as I understand it.
    Might be a good idea to keep in touch with the park for updates: trail closures, site closures, further bear encounters, food grabs, etc... Hopefully will be a complete non-issue come end of September - time will tell...

u.w.
    Thanks for update. There has been a problem in the past with one or two bears around the campground and other areas in the park. I think they trapped one a couple of years ago.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    Me and the misses are excited. Let me know what I need to bring for the meals.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    I'm gonna try to beg borrow or steal some time away from work to come out here...been too long since I've been able to get out there...

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The Terminator and I are already discussing what gear we are going to bring and what to take to the demo on Saturday.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by u.willie View Post

u.w.
    Was down there this past weekend. (July 13-15). Talked with Nat. Forest Service field personnel on the trail. They had an issue starting some 9 weeks back. 70+ food bags were taken. 5 weeks ago they put up electrified enclosures for people to put their food. Though Grayson Highland did close their trails the activity was centered up around Thomas Knob Shelter and Mt. Rogers. There have been no sightings or issues for 4 weeks now. The had no bear attacks at Grayson Highlands. The Bear attack of the woman and her dog happened up at Douthat State Park which is 170 miles north of Grayson up in the Washington/Jefferson Nat Forest.

We did have an issue with wild life in our camp... Issue was it was too cute.
    pic2.jpgIMG_1283.jpgIMG_1285.jpg
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 07-18-2018 at 23:11.

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    Thanks for the update jeff-oh. Good news for sure, and some awesome photos. Glad you got to spend some time with the ponies.

Regarding the 'attack' or 'incident' with the bear, the woman and her dog - there's a bit of literature on another site (whiteblaze) indicating an 'incident' or 'attack' did indeed happen near the backpackers parking lot there at Grayson Highlands. That from a person who claimed to have been there and gotten that from not one, but three rangers.
    Take it with a grain of salt i guess?? I don't have a dog in the fight either way - was just passing along info that I thought was worth sharing. Here's the thread - page 7 on my computer.

If I'm not out hiking a long trail somewhere, I'll be attending the hang there, end of this September. Did the last one, and it was a great time for sure

u.w.
    Last edited by u.willie; 07-18-2018 at 23:35. Reason: added link for reference

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith6761 View Post
    I'm gonna try to beg borrow or steal some time away from work to come out here...been too long since I've been able to get out there...
    And I am BEYOND EXCITED that you have signed us both up for this trip! You know I love Grayson Highlands!!!
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith6761 View Post
    Good to see you are coming Adam. Noticed that CanIgoto says you signed them up. Don't see the extra 2 folks under you name in spreadsheet???????? We need accurate count for first 35 folks.
    Thanks
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast