Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammock wheels...

This had been rather slow project, and spending quite a lot of time in the local scrap metal yard......
    Well, basically l went searching for aluminium tubing, in preference to the telescopic type and compatibility...... the main idea was to construct a hammock stand that l could pack away easily via sliding it back into the side of my ute, all supported by the original roof racks, with some other mods of snapping any other parts to the construction with the ute roof racks.

In the scrap yard l was stoked to stumble across long lengths scaffolding, this really had me thinking, and became my chosen material for the structural supporting for this hobby construction..... scafolding is light weight, it also is handy with its ability to snap lock and some pieces l found were also telescopic compatible, there was one length l found that had been implemented with a single Pivotel type locking and folding device, this was used for the top over head spreading bar....... thanks to the single pivot l can bend this bar in half from near 15ft down to 7.5 when it's time to pack away....

Sections where they could be telescopic become the adjustable uprights or legs, this to assist for the hammock height and sag.

I was required to have welding done......this was with the two lengths of steel tube welded to the back and front ute roof racks, this is for the support of the horizontal arms that are to slide inward or back out and split pinned to lock in place..... Some welding also was for the attachment for these arms to attach the claw snaps or clamping pieces....... these claws holds up the over head bar locking it into place...... a carton of beer covered all the welding.... thanks fellas!

Hopefully the pictures can elaborate some more for any areas missed.

There was many times testing and making many height adjustments, a fair amount of pot rivets were used.... but hey I have spent a four nighter of camping with the hanging tester.... l slept! Lol!

All the materials came in? l recon somewhere around 100 bucks or so.

Hammock wheels
    IMG_3073.jpgIMG_3076.jpgIMG_3085.jpgIMG_3089.jpg

This looks great! It is amazing what can be done with a bit of imagination. Great setting for pictures as well.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Well done!

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    That's great.....and no threat of widow makers. Reminds me of the old Flintstones closing credits https://youtu.be/uq7noaMwLfg?t=48

That is an excellent project and almost certainly one of a kind. Well done, sir!
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    It looks like a hammock stand that Mad Max would use. You need to put one on the last of the V8 Interceptors.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    This looks great! It is amazing what can be done with a bit of imagination. Great setting for pictures as well.
    Cheers! Thanks old4hats..... yeah once l catch whiff to an idea it eventually becomes a gathering snowball of ideas, then it's off to the hardware store or scrap metal yard! Lol....
    l am fortunate to live adjacent to this wonderful national park, l come to this spot regularly with the hammocks, unwind some, read a book or collect my thoughts.
    A large river estuary calling me out to go for a paddle to further loose myself, yes please!
    Cheers mate!

Thank you! P-Dub!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdisgrace View Post
    That's great.....and no threat of widow makers. Reminds me of the old Flintstones closing credits https://youtu.be/uq7noaMwLfg?t=48
    Thanks bigdisgrace.... to true mate! No widow makers!...... ahh yes the flintones, cartoons created with a flamboyant sense of humour...... these caveman people gave us all "belly laughter"..... Keeping it real!

Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    That is an excellent project and almost certainly one of a kind. Well done, sir!
    Hey there sidneyhornblower! Thank you sir! This indeed may be one of a kind, however l am only to pleased to lay down a smudge to what could be a blueprint for any folks out their to elaborate on, get envovled and make their own car hammock camping adventure a reality, where possibilities become real!
    Thanks mate!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast