Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Thread

Images
    Now I can see the images... I think my corporate network was blocking them (they are pretty strict about where images are posted)
    Those sites make my mouth water. Absolutely breathtaking.
    Once again...Welcome to HF

Images
    Welcome to crowd. Nice place to hang. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

How I wish we have foiliage like that near here! Top stealth camp.

Thanks everyone. The area is really prime for any kind of hiking/exploring. BillyBob, this area is exactly the area you were talking about. Pretty much all of the White Mtns are perfect for hammock camping. A couple of bad things about hiking long distances here: water can sometimes get pretty scarce and most of the White Mtns are Indian res. and you're supposed to buy permits to go there--unless you're real stealthy. Then the key is to really Leave No Trace--sometimes not even footprints.

Here's another teaser from the trip:

My HH is still stock with the stock tarp. I really like the room inside the exp. deluxe edition, that's why I went with it. I still lash my ropes to the tree-huggers, but I leave the loop in the end so all I have to do is pull on the end rope for it to come loose so I can undo the lashing. And I wrap it tight after every lashing. Also I've looked at the fancy cat cut tarps, but who thinks of these colors for silnylon hammock tarps? Grey? Blue? Bright Green? I vomit a little in my mouth when I see things trying to blend in to the surroundings with these colors. Even the black tarps are a little too much. Nothing beats the stock coyote brown asym tarp and the way it looks in the bush. If only there was a cat cut tarp in this color. Where does Tom H. get this color?

Anyone else deep into stealth camping? The more I do it, the more I find regular camping at an established campsite incredibly bland.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WarEagleNR88 View Post
    Nothing beats the stock coyote brown asym tarp and the way it looks in the bush. If only there was a cat cut tarp in this color. Where does Tom H. get this color?
    It's not cat cut but HH sells a silnylon HEX in coyote brown and also a PU coated hex. The pu coated is kinda heavy but I got it for free with a Scout I bought for my son. It's huge! Something cool they did was make some nice 'pockets' on the corner reinforcements. That way you can store the tieouts inside those pockets for storage.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Anyone else deep into stealth camping? The more I do it, the more I find regular camping at an established campsite incredibly bland.
    Totally with you on that! I suspect most people here will agree that stealth camping is great. I try not to break any laws while doing it, but you can't beat the experience of being a part of the woods. Campsites are great for parties, but deep in the woods is a better experience. Well, for me anyway.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The grey isn't so bad, actually...it kinda blends in from a distance. Especially during the day with sunspots shining down through the trees. But I'd give up a pinky toe if I could find some olive drab silnylon, just for the reason you say.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    I am right with you on this, I would much rather camp in some out of the way place. The top of the mountains we have here are my favorites.
    Gunn
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Images
    WarEagle, you're killin me with those pics! I dearly loved camping all along the Mogollon (SP?) rim, in the San Francisco Peaks of Flagstaff and thru out the White Mtns from 83-85. ( I also loved the desert in the winter!)

And all of that was before I was a hammock hanger! Man oh man, what I could do out there now! Once I was camped right on the edge of a multihundred foot sheer cliff, on the Mog. Rim a couple of thousand feet above Payson. With my little North Face Westwind tent door facing the empty air over the cliff. The next morning as I was waking up with the sun rise, I was still in my tent drinking coffee I boiled up on my little stove without even getting out of my bag. All of a sudden a large flock of turkeys flew in and landed a stones throw from my tent, roosting in nooks and crannies in and trees growing around the cliff! What a beautiful morning that was. I also would often come across Elk and deer. Wasn't there a HUGE fire in the whites a few years ago, destroying a vast amount of beautiful forest in the White Mountains?

That river in your last pic reminds be of camping and trout fishing along the Black River. I think that was the name of it. Man, that was great too! Which river is that one in your pic?

I don't live out there anymore, but it has just occured to me there is no reason not to plan a hammock backpacking trip!

You guys really need some rain, don't you? I can't stand the thought of any more of those beautiful forests burning down. But, nature will do what nature will do.

Send more pics!

Bill

PS: Litchfield Park. Isn't that pretty near Luke AFB, where I was stationed 1970-73? ( Yep, I'm a bit of a geezer! age 58.) I think my old bones contributed greatly to me falling in love with hammocking and getting off the ground!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-13-2007 at 23:13.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    WarEagle, you're killin me with those pics! I dearly loved camping all along the Mogollon (SP?) rim, in the San Francisco Peaks of Flagstaff and thru out the White Mtns from 83-85. ( I also loved the desert in the winter!)

And all of that was before I was a hammock hanger! Man oh man, what I could do out there now! Once I was camped right on the edge of a multihundred foot sheer cliff, on the Mog. Rim a couple of thousand feet above Payson. With my little North Face Westwind tent door facing the empty air over the cliff. The next morning as I was waking up with the sun rise, I was still in my tent drinking coffee I boiled up on my little stove without even getting out of my bag. All of a sudden a large flock of turkeys flew in and landed a stones throw from my tent, roosting in nooks and crannies in and trees growing around the cliff! What a beautiful morning that was. I also would often come across Elk and deer. Wasn't there a HUGE fire in the whites a few years ago, destroying a vast amount of beautiful forest in the White Mountains?

That river in your last pic reminds be of camping and trout fishing along the Black River. I think that was the name of it. Man, that was great too! Which river is that one in your pic?

I don't live out there anymore, but it has just occured to me there is no reason not to plan a hammock backpacking trip!

You guys really need some rain, don't you? I can't stand the thought of any more of those beautiful forests burning down. But, nature will do what nature will do.

Send more pics!

Bill

PS: Litchfield Park. Isn't that pretty near Luke AFB, where I was stationed 1970-73? ( Yep, I'm a bit of a geezer! age 58.) I think my old bones contributed greatly to me falling in love with hammocking and getting off the ground!
    Oh, you're not kidding. The desert winter is the best. Although it can get pretty nippy if you're not prepared for it.

Every morning is nice when stepping out of the comfort of a hammock. Just thinking of all of those bugs and rain if you had any you escaped from during the night makes it so much better. Plus with the HHs, no scorpions in your boots! And yours--even though you were tenting--sounds like one for the record books. Any pictures from that event? And you're correct on the fire and fires. I was out in the Mazatzal's back in January and it is slowly recovering from its most recent fire. Mt Lemmon in Tucson had a bad one on the south side a few years ago. The desert around Kitt Peak just went through a pretty bad fire--I could see it really well in my NVGs the other night. And there was a fire in the White Mtns a while ago but I think it is recovering really well. I think someone got lost/hurt and made a fire that got out of control after they rescued them--not sure on the specifics though.

Funny you say "River". Yes this is the West Fork of the Black River and it was cold. More like a creek. But I wish I'd have caught some good sized mudbugs out of it and cooked them up. That would have been good.

Yes, you should make a trip to Arizona and explore some with the multiple degrees of freedom a hammock provides. Pack light and bring an extra Camelbak pouch if you do decide to come here. The rain situation is fairly bleak. Everyone is counting on the monsoon to help out, but we haven't had a good rain here in a while. I just can't believe even though we know we're in a drought, we still use water like we're not. Screw oil and gasoline, water is gonna be the most precious commodity in a few years if we don't stop acting crazy with it. Then there's the forestry control. I've no doubt that many of the forests in the western US are to the brim with undergrowth and kindling just asking for a fire--already we have witnessed the continual yearly increase in forest fires. Oh then get this, once they start blazing what do we do, pour as much water on them as we can to get them to go out. What a cycle!

That's the one--Litchfield Park. Although there are probably many more homes and metro cities around Phoenix than you remember or that you would believe. The city stretches from nearly the Superstitions in the east to the White Tank Mtns in the west if you can believe that! And 70-73, what did you do then?

Geez, I've gotta stop writing these books! More Pics to come. I took 220 pictures on the trip without a single roll of film--digital cameras are great!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast