I have two HH's, 1 Scout, 1 ExpAsym
    Tarp
    Big.
    Insulation
    None.Insultex soon
    Suspension
    Trees! :)
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeHouse View Post
    I had bought a 3’x5’ sheet and cut a 13”x13” cloth for my smokehouse. The cloth weight is about 0.3 oz. You do not need the silicone ring. You will need to call them for the pricing. I paid $32. for a yard. They will cut and make whatever you want. The small TI stove has a input hole of 3”. Its hard to fill the box with 2” wood, but 1.5” with 1” works great. The heat is good for 2hrs but will actual last longer with damper closed.
    So a 1 ft^2 panel is about .3 ounces?? That's light! Or do you mean .3 oz / yd^2, which would be phenomenally light?

Well, I wish I'd found something this light to begin with. Weight was the main objective of my DIY. I still plan on giving it a shot, though.. just to see how it turns out.

I guess if the door is only 3", it'd be tough to get a "decent" thickness log in there. My old "portable" woodstove had a 5x8 door. If you "skinned" a log down, you could get a pretty square log in that'd burn for a Loooong time.

Thanks, Smokehouse!
    Last edited by Tedinski; 02-26-2010 at 09:54.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedinski View Post
    So a 1 ft^2 panel is about .3 ounces?? That's light! Or do you mean .3 oz / yd^2, which would be phenomenally light?

Well, I wish I'd found something this light to begin with. Weight was the main objective of my DIY. I still plan on giving it a shot, though.. just to see how it turns out.

I guess if the door is only 3", it'd be tough to get a "decent" thickness log in there. My old "portable" woodstove had a 5x8 door. If you "skinned" a log down, you could get a pretty square log in that'd burn for a Loooong time.

Thanks, Smokehouse!
    A 13"x13" = 0.3oz. The TI stoves are primarily made for backpacking, so the weight is critical. The best wood to get in the wilderness are limbs that fell, so you can break them by hand or use a small folding saw. Most of the time, you won't be backpacking a chainsaw, so a large door is not needed. On the other hand, if you going to use this while camping form a car or boat then weight is not a big issue. I would use a different stove that’s cheaper and a little larger. There are many stoves like this out there and one example is the Riley stoves at a decent weight… http://www.rileystove.com/products/s...tle-amigo.html

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big.
    Insulation
    None.Insultex soon
    Suspension
    I just heard back from the canvas folks... they say a 13x13 panel is 3.6 ounces, minus 0.3 ounces for an ellipital cut-out for 4" pipe.

Did they sell more than one type of the fireproof panel?

The "lightweight" stove I have is (I believe) a Riley. Mine looks JUST like the one in the link you sent, but perhaps a slightly different size! It weighs about 20 lb including the pipe... NOT for backpacking. I used to use it at reenactments, which is where I purchased it.

Good point about the chainsaw. haha! At reenactments, I'd always carry a "camp axe" (think 3/4-length but light axe handle, with a hatchet-type head) to skin down and split logs and such. Of course, pre-cut firewood was easily accessible in those days before the emerald ash borer made it impossible to carry some with you!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big.
    Insulation
    None.Insultex soon
    Suspension
    Heya Smokehouse! I finally dug back through looking for the thread I've been trying to find... It was YOUR thread, about your smokehouse!

Thanks for repeating here some of the information I'd forgotten from that thread... My mind is a stainless steel sieve...
    With large holes...
    Most stuff just drops on through! Doh!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedinski View Post
    Heya Smokehouse! I finally dug back through looking for the thread I've been trying to find... It was YOUR thread, about your smokehouse!

Thanks for repeating here some of the information I'd forgotten from that thread... My mind is a stainless steel sieve...
    With large holes...
    Most stuff just drops on through! Doh!
    I'm hanging with Smokehouse on the Buffalo in a few weeks...I'm really looking forward to seeing the smokehouse in operation, and visiting with him.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big.
    Insulation
    None.Insultex soon
    Suspension
    That looks like a fun get-together. 200 foot waterfall!!

I hope Smokehouse's smokehouse doesn't get TOO smokey. I look forward to hearing the reports!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Here's another stove option. Not for backpacking, though.
    http://www.sheepherdersstoves.com/packerjr.html
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big.
    Insulation
    None.Insultex soon
    Suspension
    A couple gallons of hot water in a tank might make a big difference, overnight.
    I don't have a tank on my tent stove... has anybody noticed a difference?
    For a small tent area, that's a big difference in thermal mass...

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456