Hammock
    BearButt Double Hammie

Bear Butt Hammocks ok for winter camping?

I have the hammocks, rain flys, bug nets, and some Eno underquilts. Wondering if that would work? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    You're good to go, brother. Sounds like you got the gear... get out there and enjoy!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Bear Butt is a basic ENO knockoff commonly purchased on Amazon. Not a hammock I would buy, but if you're the kind who buys your hammock gear off of Amazon, not much anyone can do to talk you out of it.

ENO underquilts? Hard to find any good reviews here on Hammock Forums, at least not from experienced hangers. Hopefully, you got a tremendous deal on Amazon which made it hard to resist, but I'd put any kind of ENO quilt way down on my list of acceptable vendors. Presumably, you got some kind of ENO quilt like the Ember? I doubt it can do much better than 50* F. Vulcan? I'd take that 35* to 45* with a grain of salt.

Winter might be hard to do with ENO quilts.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG CUBEN TARP
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies / CRL
    Quote Originally Posted by boposke View Post
    I have the hammocks, rain flys, bug nets, and some Eno underquilts. Wondering if that would work? Thoughts?

Make sure you know the limits of you quilts before you do any kind of long hike in the cold. When most companies (other than cottage vendors) say something is good to a certain temperature that is usually a survival rating, not comfort.

I would start out in your back yard if you have one or take a short overnight or car camp. Something that gives you an option to bug out if you run into problems.

There is nothing wrong with using mass produced gear as long as it works for you.

Good luck!

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Bear Butt is a basic ENO knockoff commonly purchased on Amazon. Not a hammock I would buy, but if you're the kind who buys your hammock gear off of Amazon, not much anyone can do to talk you out of it.

ENO underquilts? Hard to find any good reviews here on Hammock Forums, at least not from experienced hangers. Hopefully, you got a tremendous deal on Amazon which made it hard to resist, but I'd put any kind of ENO quilt way down on my list of acceptable vendors. Presumably, you got some kind of ENO quilt like the Ember? I doubt it can do much better than 50* F. Vulcan? I'd take that 35* to 45* with a grain of salt.

Winter might be hard to do with ENO quilts.
    Agree here 100%. I started with ENO gear (almost all of it). Above 40-45* it is functional for sure. Below that it is hit or miss as far as what it's advertised to do.

You have a decent set up. If it works for you that's great, but be sure to test your gear before you put yourself in a dangerous situation.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Do a backyard hang first to test your gear. You don’t want to get out there and be far away from a bail out if your equipment is not up to par.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    BearButt Double Hammie
    Thanks all! I need to test it out in the fall and probably invest in something better.

Hammock
    Dutchware, BearButt
    Tarp
    WB-SF, KC-Batwing
    Insulation
    PLUQ,AHE-NR,WL-BWK
    Suspension
    Various
    I have the Bear Butt double hammock, Fly, Zapper (bugnet), straps, and biners. I have no experience with ENO anything.

I've taken this setup down to mid 50s before I woke with cold butt syndrome. Adding a poncho liner underquilt took me to the mid 40s with a Costco down throw and a Gossamer Gear 1/8" pad (all under me) with a sleeping bag (I don't remember which one) as a topquilt. I'm not willing to try colder with this setup.
    I regularly sleep in hotel rooms (using a TurtleDog stand) with my Bear Butt hammock and an Arrowhead Equipment 3 season under me with a camping silk sheet over me and I usually leave the room heat turned off. (burning dust makes me sneeze until I'm hurting)

Speaking as someone that uses my Bear Butt hammocks, as well as a number of Dutchware hammocks, I trust the cottage vendors gear to get me at least close to their temperature ratings and to give me a decent night sleep, I wouldn't trust my Twisted Root insulation for anything but hanging in my bedroom at home. Others might disagree with me on Amazon purchased gear, but that's how I feel.

As other have stated, test it out at home first so you can escape indoors before relying on it in the wild.

My $0.02 from a fellow Bear Butt hammie user that has some experience with cottage vendor type gear.

• + New Posts