Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I had a similar setup- fence post to tree- so I used a 4mm accessory cord as a ridgeline- to keep the sag consistent, then I could pull the straps really tight, so when the webbing stretched my hammock did not get all the way to the ground. Think this might be an option for you?
    KM

PS.try a set up with the head end on the fence, then you can move the foot end up the tree to allieviate the scoonching up and down..

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by restlesss View Post
    OK, so I made my first hammock. actually tried to make it as inexpensive as possible. I used the idea from RISK and made the Test Hammock (super easy to do) Now I have it set up in the backyard, between a tree and the fence. If I put sag in it I am sitting on the snow if I have NO SAG it seems like it is right. How do I know how much sag there should be.

2) When backpacking, how much webbing/rope do you bring to hang the hammock? Is it easy to find trees within 12-15 feet apart?

3) I have seen the decender rings on a few web sites. at my REI they are 4.50 each. is there a cheaper way to go as far as the rings go?

that is all for now. I am going to sleep in my hammock tonight,. I'll let you know how it goes.
    2)Backpacking I always had 10 feet on either end. You will develop "tree eye" ..... you start to just "see" them.
    3) Get the cinch buckles from Paul at AHE.... they are the best I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by restlesss View Post
    I actually slept pretty good but kept getting woke up by the snow plows going by. my pad I was on felt like it was sliding too so i would end up with my feet higher than my head so when I woke up just kinda scooched up a bit. My tarp also was flapping everyonce in a while ... I am going to push on. I have an idea to improve my hammock to aid in my sleeping pad issue. one thing though... My but got really cold no matter how i was sleeping. the rest of my body was fine. but my but guess i need to change my trail name to cold butt... anyways. I have a bit to go before i post pics. thanks again for the input guys
    Just gonna take you some practice and more research. That is the fun part for most of us.....

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    IMO, the cinch buckles from AHE make a much nicer webbing based suspension than the rings. Cheaper, too. I've tried both, and there really is no contest.
    I concur Sir.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    ENO - Researching DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    CCF Pad - DIY
    Suspension
    ENO slap straps

sag issue

I have an ENO single, unknown (maybe a travel hammock) private label made for Alabama outdoors, double(width), and a DIY double layer. They all lay differently. With the single and double I like a lot of sag, I guess about 30* angle. I tried hanging my DIY and found it was very uncomfortable with that much sag. The last time I was out (chinnabee silent trail) I hung it 23' apart, about 7 1/2' up the trees, and as tight as I could get it. The flatest lay I've ever had in a hammock. I had my noname double with me also and tried to hang it the same way and ended up on my back on the ground, one of the metal "S" hooks snapped in two, I was only about 18" off the ground so it just hurt my pride. But I did have that quick response of looking around to see if anybody was looking. I was using the ENO slap straps at the time.
    A rainy day spent in the hammock is better than a sunny day at work.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12