Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images

Tarp RL challenge

OK... heres how this is going to work.

I have an idea of a full Tarp Ridgeline that eliminates the Figure 9, but still allows you to have a full RL. Im going to mock it up, full scale and test inside, along with the 2 line toggled RL and the various furling attachments.

Heres the challenge.....

Design a full RL without a Figure 9.

The "virtual" materials you have at your disposal are...

1) Any length of line, doesnt matter what type or diameter line.
    2) Toggles that are preferably plastic. Metal involves to much prep to keep the RL priced within reason.

Thats it.

Theres no deadline, yet. All ideas will be accumulated here in this thread with the winner being choosen by a popular vote of the members here once I end the entries.

TO the member with the winning idea, will be the fruit of their imagination, made by me. Along with the caveat that I may use the design.

So.... let the games begin.

Images
    Great thread!

So, here is my idea to eliminate the Figure-9. Use two Prusik knots, one has a toggle, the other is just a loop. One is before the line goes around the second tree, the second one on the other side. Connect toggle to loop and pull tight.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    2 ideas:

1. fixed eye loop and toggle on each end to attach to tree. In the middle, 2 Prussics, one with a toggle. Attach to trees, then put toggle in midlle of line through other middle line Prussic and pull Prussics to tighten line.
    2. On 1st end, fixed eye loop and toggle on one end to attach one end to tree. On 2cd end, Prussic and fixed toggle on end of rope. Attach 1st end normally. For 2cd end attach by wrapping tree, toggle trhough Prussic and slide Prussic to tighten.

1st alternative more practical than 2cd.

First alternative will yield a section of loosely hanging RL in middle of RL.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Heres my idea... just so its out there.

Main line with fixed eye and toggle on either end. Each end gets toggled to your attachment point.

Youll have your prusiks with toggles as a normal RL, and then a 3rd pruisk loop. Once you attach your tarp to the prusiks with the toggles and pull tight, you essentially have your tarp pitched, just like you would with the 2 line system. However... your last remaining prusik will be used to slip over one of the tarp RL toggles, and then you can adjust the line under the tarp to whatever tension you desire. Pull it tight, leave it loose....

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB
    Tarp
    GG, DIY
    Insulation
    CCF + 40* mummy
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCR
    Images
    If the Eye and toggle work for Tree one now,
    Why would you not do another toggle and a prusik(as an adjustable eye) on the other end.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    Great thread!

So, here is my idea to eliminate the Figure-9. Use two Prusik knots, one has a toggle, the other is just a loop. One is before the line goes around the second tree, the second one on the other side. Connect toggle to loop and pull tight.
    Not a bad idea... I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    2 ideas:
    [*]fixed eye loop and toggle on each end to attach to tree. In the middle, 2 Prussics, one with a toggle. Attach to trees, then put toggle in midlle of line through other middle line Prussic and pull Prussics to tighten line.
    That sounds about along the lines I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    [*]On 1st end, fixed eye loop and toggle on one end to attach one end to tree. On 2cd end, Prussic and fixed toggle on end of rope. Attach 1st end normally. For 2cd end attach by wrapping tree, toggle trhough Prussic and slide Prussic to tighten.[/LIST]
    This one sounds like a variation of Schneiders post.

One idea is you could put in a fixed loop in one end and then at lets say the 4ft mark (or what ever length you need to go around tree) put in a inline figure eight knot use a toggle there and then on the other end use a prussic and the fixed loop for the adjustment portion.

Cranky Bear

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Hmmm

Would something like this work? Or maybe this?

Just having fun with you Opie Glad to see you working on how to solve the use of figure 9's.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Images
    I was assuming the ridgeline should be tight.

I left out a bit of detail in my first post. The ridgeline would be exactly as opie's current version. First tree uses a fixed eye and a toggle. Then come the two Prusik loops for the tarp. Where the Figure-9 would normally go, there would be a Prusik with a toggle. This Prusik should be adjusted to say within a foot or two of the second tree. Then, the line is wrapped around the tree and the last Prusik loop is connected to the toggle. Now, you can pull the free end through the last Prusik to tighten, or slide the next to last Prusik toward the first tree. The advantage of this method is that the entire ridgeline is tightened, and that it will work for any tree separation without any of the Prusik's getting in the way of each other.

Images
    More advertising for my method: For a short distance between trees, all the excess line is conveniently placed near the second tree, where it does not pose a tripping hazard. Just set it and forget it!

Ok, I'll shut up now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast