Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    If Im following you right...

With the toggle on the prusik, there must be a loop somewhere in the main line to toggle. You can create a loop anywhere in the line....

But with the free sliding toggle and prusik on the free end, theres no need.
    Maybe this does not make sense at all. At least in my mind it does. I'll try to explain it differently.

Imagine the line with the Prusik loop in front of you, going from left to right. The Prusik loop is going at a nintey degree angle away from you and essentially forms two parallel strands that each go through the toggle. You now place the other line on top of those parallel strands and fold the Prusik loop over it, bringing the toggle towards you. Then, the toggle is brought through the two parallel strands of the Prusik loop below the second line. When you pull on the first line, the loop should tighten around the second line and the toggle should keep everything in place. Does this make sense? Am I missing something?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    Maybe this does not make sense at all. At least in my mind it does. I'll try to explain it differently.

Imagine the line with the Prusik loop in front of you, going from left to right. The Prusik loop is going at a nintey degree angle away from you and essentially forms two parallel strands that each go through the toggle. You now place the other line on top of those parallel strands and fold the Prusik loop over it, bringing the toggle towards you. Then, the toggle is brought through the two parallel strands of the Prusik loop below the second line. When you pull on the first line, the loop should tighten around the second line and the toggle should keep everything in place. Does this make sense? Am I missing something?
    OK... I gotta go to work and open up haul roads. Itll give me time to think about it.

Can you draw a picture? Your explanation is fine, but I have a very difficult time turning explanations into visuals.

LOL... The line all men hate to hear... "its not you, its me."

Images
    Girth hitch is fine.. Just takes more time. Post up some pics when you get a chance.
    I'd think the girth hitch might actually be the fastest way to get it done. reach round the tree with the loop, pass the rolled up assembly through the loop, walk to other tree, wrap around tree, fasten with toggle, tighten with ucr and go.

Sorry for the blurry pics... blame using the cell phone to get them now instead of waiting.

Images
    OK... I gotta go to work and open up haul roads. Itll give me time to think about it.

Can you draw a picture? Your explanation is fine, but I have a very difficult time turning explanations into visuals.

LOL... The line all men hate to hear... "its not you, its me."
    I mocked it up using the limited resources I have at my hotel room. The chopsticks are the ridgeline and go around the tree (beer bottle). There is (a crude imitation) of a Prusik knot on the end of the line. The piece of paper is the toggle. I think it has to have two holes, so that the toggle does not turn and get pulled out. So, you simply wrap the toggle around the line and lock it between the two strands of the Prusik loop. Toggle is right where you need it, and no second loop required.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    One potential problem I see with having the toggle on the line is that the toggle might lock the rope against the tree, making it difficult to tighten. This may be an advantage of having the toggle on the Prusik loop.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Decending Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    I mocked it up using the limited resources I have at my hotel room. The chopsticks are the ridgeline and go around the tree (beer bottle). There is (a crude imitation) of a Prusik knot on the end of the line. The piece of paper is the toggle. I think it has to have two holes, so that the toggle does not turn and get pulled out. So, you simply wrap the toggle around the line and lock it between the two strands of the Prusik loop. Toggle is right where you need it, and no second loop required.
    Love the intuition great mock up not sure i would want to hang on that at least not without drinking the beer first.

I think either method would work and the weight would be the same you would still have the issue on both versions of the toggle pulled tight but you would just need to slide the prussic up the line to lossen or lift the ridge line as it does not need to be pulled really tight.
    Bazza

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB
    Tarp
    GG, DIY
    Insulation
    CCF + 40* mummy
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phatpenguin View Post
    If the Eye and toggle work for Tree one now,
    Why would you not do another toggle and a prusik(as an adjustable eye) on the other end.
    bazzas is even simpler... The second end prusik doesnt need a toggle. The toggle needs to go on the main line just like the other end. The free end gets wrapped around the tree along with the prusik.. toggle the prusik and pull tight.
    That's exactly what I was suggesting in post #5

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thought of another variation this morning.

Set it up and it works very well. If I decide to drop the small Figure 9, this is the method I will use.

As shown, this method uses 3 Prussics and one toggle to secure the end of the RL. The other end is secured using the fixed eye and toggle as usual. Plus the 2 Prussics for the tarp attachment.

Prussic # 1 is positioned on the RL prior to wrapping the tree. Prussic #2 is positioned just after wrapping the tree. The RL and Prussic #3 are then passed through Prussic #1. Prussic #2 and #3 are then joined with the toggle. The RL is then pulled tight as indicated and Prussic #2 and/or #3 are slid on the RL until tight to hold the RL tight.

This method retains the mechanical advantage of the Figure 9 in pulling a tight RL.

I set up my tarp RL doing this this morning and it works well. The small Figure 9 is slightly easier since you wrap the Figure 9 and you have to pass the RL through Prussic #1 in this method, but that isn't difficult at all.

So this method will reduce the weight by replacing the small Figure 9, 4 g, with 2 Prussics, 1.2 g. The toggle can be picked up from the ground.

This method has another advantage over the Figure 9 in that it can be fabricated in the field from spare cord and a knife to cut the cord. A bowline knot to tie the fixed eye on one end, 5 short lengths for the 5 Prussics, and Zeppelin knots to form the Prussic loops. No hardware required other than the knife. If a splicing needle is available, then the fixed eye and Prussic loops could be spliced.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phatpenguin View Post
    That's exactly what I was suggesting in post #5
    So it is... Sorry bout that.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza2154 View Post
    I thought Schneider had two prussic on the end my way would only have one prussic as the toggle would be attached to the main ridge line as the line would run through it.

As i said though not as easy to adjust as the first method.
    OK.... I mocked this up....

Doesnt work. 2 prusiks are necessary.

Since the toggle can slide freely along the line..... The RL will never get tight.

2 prusiks are a must. But it does work.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast