Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by fisher_of_man View Post
    this is my guess too. I live in West Texas and it's nothing to have summertime highs of 105* plus....the same is true for everything else around here. dark colored shingles on your roof will absorb more heat, whereas light colored ones will reflect more. dark roofs, dark vehicles, dark clothes...all heat up much faster in the sun...and stay hotter longer...and aborb more heat (and as a result aren't used near as much out here).

I just ordered a custom tarp from Brian at OES and wanted a black tarp like Animalcontrol's...but then reality kicked in...and I knew I'd be paying for it mid summer. if you've got air moving underneath the tarp, it might not be too bad...but I bet if you set up a light colored one next to a black one on a still sunny day...you'd find it to be warmer under the black one.

the choice was a hard one for me...as I'd like the extra darkness in the morning...but with summer heat...I had to go light colored. I'm sure there are always going to be exceptions...but if anyone can pull of a test of these theories...I'd sure be interested in the results....of course...if it's not warmer underneath the black one...don't tell me that...I might cry...
    I would think a black tarp might be hotter inside if you were able to completely seal it off. In the summer, when your looking to stay cool you will not be sealing the heat in as your likely to pitch your tarp higher with doors open. In the winter, when your more likely to seal off the tarp the extra warmth it may provide is welcomed. I have a black tarp and live where summer time temps can top out above 115. My theory is black will let less sunshine through the tarp (the same reason you can sleep in longer) thus providing a darker shade which, as long as I dont seal the tarp off, will keep me a bit cooler. The same idea as sitting under a tree with a lot of leaves vs a bare tree. That's my story anyway, and I'm sticking to it.

Tarp
    MacCat 10x12 WT
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    I would think a black tarp might be hotter inside if you were able to completely seal it off. In the summer, when your looking to stay cool you will not be sealing the heat in as your likely to pitch your tarp higher with doors open. In the winter, when your more likely to seal off the tarp the extra warmth it may provide is welcomed. I have a black tarp and live where summer time temps can top out above 115. My theory is black will let less sunshine through the tarp (the same reason you can sleep in longer) thus providing a darker shade which, as long as I dont seal the tarp off, will keep me a bit cooler. The same idea as sitting under a tree with a lot of leaves vs a bare tree. That's my story anyway, and I'm sticking to it.
    and it's a good theory...I'm really wondering now....(i sure would have liked the black tarp....but couldn't make myself do it for fear of extra heat)...anybody have the ability to do a side by side comparision? not knowing is gonna drive me crazy!
    "Come, follow me, " Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." Mark 1:17

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    RT, that is why my winter tarp is black. I think you make valid points. however, my spinntex maccat tarp let light in, and it was hot during the day, since the sunlight was not blocked too well. So, im thinking of agreeing with you that a black tarp in summer provides more shade, thus overruling the greenhouse issue. i dont know, for sure, just thinking.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    honestly i sleep at night, so i don't think it matters a whole lot about temperature.

Tarp
    MacCat 10x12 WT
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    honestly i sleep at night, so i don't think it matters a whole lot about temperature.
    it'd kinda jack up a afternoon nap though.
    "Come, follow me, " Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." Mark 1:17

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I usually am in the shade of a tree in my black tarp .... never, ever been hot. Hot ... hang 'em high. Cool .... bring it low-down.
    Shug of Black
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY sil cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    The Bedouin wear black clothing and apparently it keeps you just as cool as white some scientists have said (towards the end of the article)..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...ighereducation

"The amount of heat gained by a Bedouin exposed to the hot desert is the same whether he wears a black or a white robe. The additional heat absorbed by the black robe was lost before it reached the skin."
    How that translates to tarps is anyone's guess, I'd guess it was pretty similar as you have plenty of openings for airflow.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123