DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy UQ/sometimes p
    Suspension
    whoopie!

Suggestions for trip to PNW

Hi guys! My wife and I are planning to take a trip to the Pacific Northwest this summer and we're looking for suggestions for hiking/backpacking areas. We'd probably be flying into Seattle(Cheapest airfare and we have a friend there) and looking for somewhere hopefully within a few hours of there. We're looking to go sometime in July or August.

Please send suggestions for areas that are hammock friendly and not tourist traps(read scenic but not terribly busy). And suggestions for area specific gear are welcomed. We're well equipped for ultralight backpacking in the Northeast. The North Cascades National Park or Olympic looks pretty darn good....

Thanks!
    Steve
    Last edited by porkfriedlice; 02-25-2010 at 08:36. Reason: add info

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    My top choice is the Olympics. Lots of trees except in the alpine meadows and the mountain tops. Be prepared for the possibility of rain except duriing the later part of July through early Sept. Snow in the highlands can persists until July, although this is starting off as a warm year.

The Wonderland trail around Mt Rainier, especially the northern section, is according to my hiking buddy, pretty neat as well. I don't know how hammock friendly it is though; most of it is in the high country.

We plan of hitting the northern end of the PCT this year, looking forward to it.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy UQ/sometimes p
    Suspension
    whoopie!

Olympic

Yep, we saw lots of nice lookin' pics and are pretty much leaning towards Olympic. Are there any significant restrictions on camping in the backcountry? I did notice we would need to get a permit for access. Is that all?

Also, i'm guessing we'll be running into some larger trees than we're used to We use whoopie slings/marlin spike/ straps, how long should I figure for the straps?

Thanks,
    Steve

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Look into the Enchantments, Alpine Lakes Wilderness and Glacier Peak Wilderness areas, all near Leavenworth, WA. This is my neck of the woods. Just about two hours drive from Seatac (Seattle) Airport. The Mt. Rainier area is very nice as well. However, you are much more likely to have good weather on the eastern side of the Cascade mountains.

Doc
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by porkfriedlice View Post
    Also, i'm guessing we'll be running into some larger trees than we're used to We use whoopie slings/marlin spike/ straps, how long should I figure for the straps?
    VERY long. I have yet to hang in the Olympics but I have been there and there are some large trees.
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Yep, we saw lots of nice lookin' pics and are pretty much leaning towards Olympic. Are there any significant restrictions on camping in the backcountry? I did notice we would need to get a permit for access. Is that all?
    You are required to get a backcountry permit if you are spending the night in the park. It is $5 plus $2 per person per night. There are some popular areas in the park that require you to get a reservation first. You can contact the Winlderness Information Center (WIC) for details or look at their web site at http://www.nps.gov/olym/index.htm.

Throughout the park you are not allowed to have open fires above 3500 feet; stoves only. There are many trails and established campsites every 5-10 miles. If you want to camp elsewhere you need to be invisible from the trail. Cross country travel is permissible, but challenging; the terrain is pretty rugged. You are also required to hang your food or use a bear resistant container everywhere you camp. Many established campsites have bear wires, otherwise you are on your own.

While some parts of the park have trees with a circumference in excess of 20 feet (especially the western rain forests), for the most part the big trees are in the lower valleys and a 10 feet tree would be large. There should generally be no problem finding a pair of 5 foot or smaller trees, although there are exceptions. This upcoming season will be my first to use a hammock; I haven't really paid attention before to how easy it would be to find good trees. Some places the trees are pretty thick, nearly on top of each other. Other places, down in the river bottoms, will have fewer and larger trees spread farther apart. And above 5000-6000 feet, hangable trees can get scarce.

Enjoy your trip into the Olympics if you get there. It is a wonderful place and generally not too crowded.

Images
    Hi guys! My wife and I are planning to take a trip to the Pacific Northwest this summer and we're looking for suggestions for hiking/backpacking areas. We'd probably be flying into Seattle(Cheapest airfare and we have a friend there) and looking for somewhere hopefully within a few hours of there. We're looking to go sometime in July or August.

Please send suggestions for areas that are hammock friendly and not tourist traps(read scenic but not terribly busy). And suggestions for area specific gear are welcomed. We're well equipped for ultralight backpacking in the Northeast. The North Cascades National Park or Olympic looks pretty darn good....

Thanks!
    Steve
    A couple of years back, I hiked and hung on the Hoh River trail in the Olympics. Pretty cool in many ways. Giant tree rain forest for about 10 miles of mostly level hiking to the last camp ground(several camps along the way), Olympic Guard Station I think it was. Then pretty much straight up for about 4000 feet either to the left to the high divide, or to the right towards the Blue Glacier. Either way, major Ba*l buster for me( age 61) once the climbing started... STEEP! Most of the trees down low were too gigantic to hang from, but we still managed to find some that were small enough. Crowds were no problem week after Labor day.

Starting at Austin Pass between Mt.Baker and Mt.Shuksan is mind blowingly beautiful, or any where around Mt.Baker is. But much of it is above timberline, and you would have to account for that if you are hanging.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-25-2010 at 22:31.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    You might want to look around over at NWhikers. It seems most of the members there are from the Seattle area.
    http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/index.php
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy UQ/sometimes p
    Suspension
    whoopie!

Big Thanks!

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the responses, you've given me some good info to digest. This will be our first trip West in 12 years and the first ever to the Northwest together. We're psyched!

Steve

• + New Posts