Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

?AirCore Plus Spectra Question?

I see that most people use the AirCore Plus for the cord on their ring buckle set-ups. Great cord, but on the pricey side for us poor folks. Granted, I'll be collecting Social Security (pipe dream!) by the time I use a full spool, but still.

What are the problems, or potential problems, with using something like this: http://west.loadup.com/military/surplus/10106.html ?

It's nylon so it probably won't hold up to the sun, but this section of my hammock is covered by a tarp anyhow. Plus you can buy the same length of cord for $4! It's rated to 1000 lbs and super cheap. Looking for someone to shoot some holes in my cheap ways.

The site said it is military surplus, so I'm wondering if any of you soldiers/sailors have ever seen or used it?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    What are the problems, or potential problems, with using something like this: http://west.loadup.com/military/surplus/10106.html ?
    Stretch. Lots and lots of stretch. That simply the way nylon is. Also, it will soak up a lot of water.

I'm a big fan of the 5/32" Spyderline. You can order it by the foot, so there's no need to buy more than you'll actually use.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Thank you angry one. I didn't think there would be much stretch in such a short length, but if there is an option that removes that from the equation, I'm happy.

I'll order some and see how it goes. Thanks again.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    On Hammock Engineer's advice I ordered a 100' of this Spectra line. Only .14 per foot before shipping and it has a 1200lb breaking strength.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I bought 50 ft of this at 35 cents per foot from Jump Shack a few months ago. I called them and ordered over the phone. By doing it that way they just put it in an envelope and charged regular mail rates instead of a standard shipping charge. It's worked well for me from my HH to my rings. I completely removed the HH cord and used this.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    On Hammock Engineer's advice I ordered a 100' of this Spectra line. Only .14 per foot before shipping and it has a 1200lb breaking strength.
    That's what I use as my ridgeline.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    if you have a backpacking/climbing outfitter near you, they will probably have something similar to what i used... 3mm spectra accessory cord from the climbing section.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    if you have a backpacking/climbing outfitter near you, they will probably have something similar to what i used... 3mm spectra accessory cord from the climbing section.
    I SOOOOOO wish there was something close to me. The nearest is about an hour away which isn't too bad, but these days it still costs me less to pay shipping than it does to drive the distance.

I have a HH which almost hits the ground by morning no matter how many times I stretch it and retie it in the evening. This stretching and retying takes much more time than just setting up a tent. I am afraid of completely destroying the HH if I undo anything to replade the lines at each end. Can I cut the HH lines at about 6 inches from the hammock and splice either of the two lines mentioned in this link to reduce the stretch or beter still, stop all stretching?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dog View Post
    I have a HH which almost hits the ground by morning no matter how many times I stretch it and retie it in the evening. This stretching and retying takes much more time than just setting up a tent. I am afraid of completely destroying the HH if I undo anything to replade the lines at each end. Can I cut the HH lines at about 6 inches from the hammock and splice either of the two lines mentioned in this link to reduce the stretch or beter still, stop all stretching?
    Welcome to the forum, Mountain Dog.

How many times have you slept in your hammock? The HH's have quite a bit of initial stretch to the hammock body itself, aside from the suspension. Perhaps that is part of the problem you're dealing with.

Yes, you certainly could just cut the stock spectra and splice in some webbing, but then you wouldn't be getting the real benefits of switching to webbing that you have when you use either buckles or rings. I know it may sound scary, but I promise that you won't harm your hammock by simply opening the knot covers for a look. It's nothing more than a knot tied in a rope under there. Everyone that I know who has really delved into it has come away with the 'oh that was easy' mindset.

Here are two pics( 1 2 ) of how I replaced the stock spectra on my with Spyderline and CC Buckles. ANYBODY could make that same alteration.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast