Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles

Best elevation for hammocks in The White Mountains?

I've enjoyed myself so much during this year's road trip from Central Texas that I might drive to New England again next year. I will hopefully plan better this time.

Before the year ends, I'd like to review my maps from the Ranger Station to choose a campground within walking distance of trailheads for a 1-2 night backpacking trip. Is there typically a goal to hang above certain elevations, mountain faces (North, South, East, or West), or mountain regions (Crawford, Franconia, ...)?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    You may want to ask this on https://www.whiteblaze.net as there are a lot of these guys that may have recently been through that area.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've hung at some of the AMC campsites. Just hang over the platform normally works good. Most cost $10 but the stream is normally close and a place to sit and read the paper in the mornings.

I've found good hanging spots not at campsites also, just keep your eyes open and scan the topo map for what looks like a decent flat spot. Just keep in mind there can be restrictions on where you can and can't camp. Above certain elevations or where the trees are shorter than 5' I think may be one. Must be so far from a trail or stream.

Beautiful area, go hike the Pemi Loop if you are interested in the Franconia area. Classic New England hike.

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    We have had hammocks at the back country sites of Garfield and Guyout, and 13 Falls and Liberty both have plenty of trees to hang. Garfield is my favorite as we’ve stayed there 3x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    The goal in the whites is to find an area flat enough and with thick enough trees. Higher elevations can be tricky, but you can make it work (even if the trees sag a bit when you get in). I will look at the topo map for a nice flat section and plan on looking for a good area at least an hour before I really plan on stopping. I typically avoid the campsites, but they can work even if you need to hang across a tent platform. There are lots of good areas to hang along the Franconia Brook trail before you get to the 13 falls campground.

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    I grew up in the Whites and still hike there often...going up there tomorrow for a night, as a matter of fact.

There are generally 2 setups I have for spending the night up high--both have their compromises. Every mountain has trees that are good for hanging but not at the top generally--and those that have trees at the top to not have the best views. To hammock, there are 2 rules, not just the one, there is leave no trace, but I add...do no damage. As the elevation goes up, the trees have a rough existence and hanging from them isn't advised. Lower elevations and saddles between tops are a good place to hang--there are lots of them and often they have some views. I also often just bring a pad and a top quilt and sleep on the rocking tops...where tops are completely bald and the views are spectacular! Amazing sunsets, night skies, and sunrises.

You can also stay near huts (where they have amazing dinners! be sure to book ahead), there are platformed campsites which can have water...

...but for me, free-form hammock hanging or cowboy camping at the top are my two preferred methods.

Last thought...elevation isn't the only consideration, some mountains are rocker so do not support large trees, so some mountains are higher with trees or lower without them higher up.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If the trees are small I’ll always double up. Put my tree strap around a tree then make a wrap around a tree that I want to hang off of. Not sure if that describes it well. Basically using two trees a few feet apart to brace each other.

But be very careful with the trees at altitude. They have a tough life without us hammockers doing damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    Dutchware Chamelon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Stealthing in the Whites was pretty easy with a hammock. I can’t think of any views that would definitely have good trees to hang from- maybe Webster Cliffs and Zeacliff. I didn’t have any trouble being too high up except the night I crossed Franconia Ridge.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    You may want to ask this on https://www.whiteblaze.net as there are a lot of these guys that may have recently been through that area.
    I'm not a member at the moment, but will certainly check out this site more thoroughly. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    I've hung at some of the AMC campsites. Just hang over the platform normally works good. Most cost $10 but the stream is normally close and a place to sit and read the paper in the mornings.

I've found good hanging spots not at campsites also, just keep your eyes open and scan the topo map for what looks like a decent flat spot. Just keep in mind there can be restrictions on where you can and can't camp. Above certain elevations or where the trees are shorter than 5' I think may be one. Must be so far from a trail or stream.

Beautiful area, go hike the Pemi Loop if you are interested in the Franconia area. Classic New England hike.
    This was my first rookie hammock backpacking mistake when tackling Mt. Wolf via Gordon Pond Brook Trail (?) this past Memorial day weekend. Mt. Moosilauke was the original plan, but I also failed to review the elevation gradient for campsites.. Now that I'm looking at google terrain maps, they both seem like bad camping options for our first backpacking adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshower View Post
    We have had hammocks at the back country sites of Garfield and Guyout, and 13 Falls and Liberty both have plenty of trees to hang. Garfield is my favorite as we’ve stayed there 3x
    Thanks, sunshower. I'll make note of this for further research. Perhaps, we'll run into you, but I reckon you'd steer clear during Memorial day weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by somniferous View Post
    The goal in the whites is to find an area flat enough and with thick enough trees. Higher elevations can be tricky, but you can make it work (even if the trees sag a bit when you get in). I will look at the topo map for a nice flat section and plan on looking for a good area at least an hour before I really plan on stopping. I typically avoid the campsites, but they can work even if you need to hang across a tent platform. There are lots of good areas to hang along the Franconia Brook trail before you get to the 13 falls campground.
    Sadly, I looked at the topography maps, but failed to recognize the importance of finding flat areas for camping. I merely looked to determine hike difficulty for two miserably out of shaped guys. :-/ Thanks for the tips on campsite selection.

I'll also look into that campground. This time, I'll make reservations at the same time as my Maine reservations. Being too busy for researching NH campgrounds, I barely snagged the very last campsite at Lost River Valley Campground this past Memorial day. It was a great site with lovely campers though.

Quote Originally Posted by heyduff View Post
    I grew up in the Whites and still hike there often...going up there tomorrow for a night, as a matter of fact.

There are generally 2 setups I have for spending the night up high--both have their compromises. Every mountain has trees that are good for hanging but not at the top generally--and those that have trees at the top to not have the best views. To hammock, there are 2 rules, not just the one, there is leave no trace, but I add...do no damage. As the elevation goes up, the trees have a rough existence and hanging from them isn't advised. Lower elevations and saddles between tops are a good place to hang--there are lots of them and often they have some views. I also often just bring a pad and a top quilt and sleep on the rocking tops...where tops are completely bald and the views are spectacular! Amazing sunsets, night skies, and sunrises.

You can also stay near huts (where they have amazing dinners! be sure to book ahead), there are platformed campsites which can have water...

...but for me, free-form hammock hanging or cowboy camping at the top are my two preferred methods.

Last thought...elevation isn't the only consideration, some mountains are rocker so do not support large trees, so some mountains are higher with trees or lower without them higher up.
    That's very brave of you to cowboy camp given the quickly changing weather/rain patterns. Is it bad that I've been thinking about the feasibility of a New England move just for better hiking/camping options? I'll need to research on industry and job sectors for various geographic locations in the US.

Thanks for the heads up on tree scarcity and environmental considerations/responsibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    If the trees are small I’ll always double up. Put my tree strap around a tree then make a wrap around a tree that I want to hang off of. Not sure if that describes it well. Basically using two trees a few feet apart to brace each other.

But be very careful with the trees at altitude. They have a tough life without us hammockers doing damage.
    I understand your description; with proper consideration, that's a neat trick. I used to live in New Hampshire for a few years and had many day-hikes in the Whites; so, I understand environmental considerations and appreciate the warning.

Quote Originally Posted by DanversPort View Post
    Stealthing in the Whites was pretty easy with a hammock. I can’t think of any views that would definitely have good trees to hang from- maybe Webster Cliffs and Zeacliff. I didn’t have any trouble being too high up except the night I crossed Franconia Ridge.
    Technically, it's not considered "stealthing" since it's legal in the Whites as long as a few rules are followed. :-D I will, however, research those cliffs and Franconia Ridge a bit.

I'm also considering a second smaller tarp option for stealthing (should the need ever arise). If I settle on the shorter Blackbird, I will consider the Hammockgear 10' Palace/Standard in Camo. If my budget should be tight, then an SLD Winter Haven may be the backup plan.

• + New Posts