Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Double layer hammock w/ ccf pad

I would prefer not dealing with an UQ if possible. I generally don't camp in below 30* temps. How does the ccf pad work between hammock layers as far as buckling and cold spots. It seems like this system would be a lot simpler and cost effective than a down UQ.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bayou joe View Post
    I would prefer not dealing with an UQ if possible. I generally don't camp in below 30* temps. How does the ccf pad work between hammock layers as far as buckling and cold spots. It seems like this system would be a lot simpler and cost effective than a down UQ.
    It will work much better in a double layer hammock than a single layer, for sure, though a Speer SPE ( 4 oz) can help a lot in a single layer. And a pad will work even better in a double layer bridge hammock like a JRB. This is, IMO, THE BEST hammock for full length pad use. Still, most folks are probably more comfortable with an UQ, many a lot more comfortable. And some people- most?- have serious sweat issues with a pad in a hammock. I'm not sure how much a dbl layer solves this problem, but I think it will help.

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    I am in the same boat as you. I have a BMBH and a 40 inch wide GG Thinlight pad. This pad is wonderful so far in testing and it weighs only 6 ounces. My hope is to cut it to fit the 26 inch pocket of my BMBH for my Long Trail end to end hike and not have to carry an under quilt. Four ounces perhaps? Seems like a no brainer to me if it works. Just have to wait till temps rise for proper testing.

Being a thin person I noticed that the double bottom of the Bridge was always around my shoulders whatever position I was in so that leads me to believe this will work. Those with broad shoulders might have trouble. I tend to sleep somewhat between flat on my back and on my side. Sorta 45 degree angle you could say. Double bottom was always there for me.

Good luck in testing!

I've gone down to 30* with just the WalMart pad, so I know it works. I'm going to get some $1.00 polyester and whip it together with the ripstop of the current hammock, insert the pad between the layers and give it a whirl. Experimenting is at least half the fun of DIY.

Thanks for the input, guys.

J.

Here's my take:

I slept in 5* temps in the Smokies in my hammock with a therma-a-rest Pro3 short and a 20* bag.

I wore just about everything I had but I was comfortable.

If you don't go out in ( and are absolutely certain) sub 30* temps, and have enough layers on, you don't need an under quilt.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    I'm using a Thermarest self-inflating pad in my BB, and I have no problems staying warm, but I am tired of having to adjust the pad "CONSTANTLY" (gotta love Alec Baldwin) in between layers.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I got down to 35F using a thermarest pad and a Jacks-R-Better 40F shenandoah top quilt and I was plenty warm (Yah gotta love July in Minnesota ).
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Has anyone used the HH undercover on a HH as a pad sleeve with a non HH pad and if so how did it go? In my head I'm thinking that it should work and should keep it completely in place. Thoughts??

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    The undercover in the HH Super Shelter probably wouldn't do a good job of holding a pad in place. I'm certain there will be lots of gaps between the pad and hammock. You need some type of suspension to hold the insulating layer up against the hammock.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for your thoughts Knotty ! I'm very new to the hanging thing. So new in fact that I haven't used one for camping yet :-o I'm a ground dweller but picked up a HH Ultralight Backpacker the other day at an REI scratch and dent sale so my plans are to give it a go. Thanks again.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast