Thread: Howdy from IL

Images

Howdy from IL

Greetings all,

My name is Chris and I’ve been lurking around the forum for a while. I’ve been an infrequent hanger since 2012 but have really started down the rabbit hole this year. Hammock camping is something I wanted to be able to share with my wife as well, so at least up to this point, I’ve acquired us 100% matching gear, the only differences being fabric colors. I’ve spent several nights out in the hammock so far this season and my wife is starting to come around as well; now we’re both looking forward to some cooler weather!

What we’re using is as follows:
    Chameleon – Hexon 1.6
    Symmetrical bugnet
    Symmetrical winter top cover with moon roof
    Sidecar at head end on opposite side of outboard shoulder
    Peak shelf at head end
    Ridgeline organizer
    Dutchware Xenon 12’ Hex Tarp
    12’ Spider/Poly straps with Dutch Clips
    Beetle Buckles and/or Dutch Buckles (depending on situation)
    Single & double whoopie hooks on 7/64” Amsteel slings (depending on situation)
    Dutchware spreader bar
    Snugpak hammock underblanket with modified suspension
    Snugpak jungle blanket
    Therm-a-Rest compressible pillow
    And some exciting items coming soon for colder weather insulation

I’m also wrapping my head around the myriad options available for a winter tarp setup before I pull the trigger. So many tempting add-ons and customizations! O_O

Anyway, really glad to be an official member now, and I look forward to learning a lot more from the fine folks on the forum here.

Cheers,
    Chris

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Welcome to the forum! I don't know where you live in Illinois, but I'm up in Milwaukee. Most of the hammock hangs I attend have a mix of Wisconsin and Illinois people.

We have a hang coming up in two weeks in Illinois. Maybe you and your wife can make it!?!

Here's the thread with the info: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Aug-24-26-2018

I keep a list of local hangs (that I know of) in my signature.

I just bought a winter tarp from UGQ this year so if you want to check it out at one of the hangs, I'd be happy to show you. Otherwise, I did a video review of it on my youtube channel. (link is in my signature file too)

Hope to meet you both sometime!
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I don't know where you live in Illinois, but I'm up in Milwaukee. Most of the hammock hangs I attend have a mix of Wisconsin and Illinois people.

We have a hang coming up in two weeks in Illinois. Maybe you and your wife can make it!?!

Here's the thread with the info: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Aug-24-26-2018

I keep a list of local hangs (that I know of) in my signature.

I just bought a winter tarp from UGQ this year so if you want to check it out at one of the hangs, I'd be happy to show you. Otherwise, I did a video review of it on my youtube channel. (link is in my signature file too)

Hope to meet you both sometime!
    Hi Karla,

Very cool, thanks for the tip about the hang in a couple weeks. I'll run that by my wife, but I'd be interested for sure! Our 3rd anniversary is on the 21st so this could be a neat way to spend it. I&M Canal is not far from us at all, depending on where exactly, but I will look into it! Her anniversary gift from UGQ should probably be delivered by then, too.

We're in Elgin, which is about 45 min from the WI border, approximately an hour west of Chicago. I travel through Milwaukee at least a couple times a year.

Winter Dream 12 is what I have my eye on! Was debating a 13' but can't yet convince myself the extra foot would be really needed. I see yours is 13', so do you have any comments about the length? Did you buy yours in 20d or 15d?

Kind of you to say hello!
    Last edited by cmc4free; 08-10-2018 at 09:20.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Welcome from another Illini (south 'burbs). You should definitely come out to the I&M Canal sometime. There's usually a small number of folks who hang out there once a month or so. I'm gonna try and make it out there in a couple weeks, but not sure as of yet. Be sure to check the Trips/Hangouts- Midwest subforum regularly, and you'll stay in the loop.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Winter Dream 12 is what I have my eye on! Was debating a 13' but can't yet convince myself the extra foot would be really needed. I see yours is 13', so do you have any comments about the length? Did you buy yours in 20d or 15d?
    15d because I wanted the purple haze color.

I suggest 12 ft. I've run into problems with tarp & hammock suspension problems with 13. My next tarp won't be 13.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    I suggest 12 ft. I've run into problems with tarp & hammock suspension problems with 13. My next tarp won't be 13.
    Opinion appreciated, thanks!

I've had a few instances already in non-wilderness situations, not being able to fit my 12' hex between the available anchor points and having to use a 10' square tarp pitched as a rectangular A-frame, so I was especially concerned about how often that would happen with 13'.

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Welcome from another Illini (south 'burbs). You should definitely come out to the I&M Canal sometime. There's usually a small number of folks who hang out there once a month or so. I'm gonna try and make it out there in a couple weeks, but not sure as of yet. Be sure to check the Trips/Hangouts- Midwest subforum regularly, and you'll stay in the loop.
    Hey, nice to meet ya! Thanks for the tips, I will definitely keep an eye out for some local hangouts we can make it to.

Hammock
    hennesy ultra light
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Morning,
    Welcome to the forum.
    That is a nice list to have in duplicate.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 11
    Insulation
    HG/UGQ/EE/LL
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    Welcome! I'm south of you a couple of hours, in the Bloomington/Normal area.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Welcome! I’m in Mount Prospect as it says on the right. I’d love to hang with you sometime and get to know you. I’m looking into becoming a Chameleon convert so let me know what you think.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Welcome! thats a nice setup ya got!

• + New Posts