Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    And from all of us on the other end, we thank you for all of your support. I know that there have certainly been times where I've been going through god-knows-what, that many of the HF members here have offered their support and it's made a world of a difference. So thanks to you.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm finding out about grad school acceptance this week!! Just though you all should know
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I just want to echo what some of the other cottage guys have said. The community here at HF is sure rivaled by none. Your support is what keeps us going in so many ways. I can say that as stressful as the last couple of months have been with processing orders (some of you definitely know what I mean..) I think this job has been the most rewarding of any I have ever had. Most definitely the hardest too....and I have had some hard jobs..

Thanks guys.

sc

(oh and I am keeping my fingers crossed for your acceptance Brian!. Even though we all know you got it in the bag!)
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    The community here at HF is sure rivaled by none. Your support is what keeps us going in so many ways.
    Amen and amen!

- Scott
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    And... Dutch (if no one mentioned him yet).
    I don't belong in that group, I am just a DIYer.

Actually I have another take on the cottage industries that I think HF has started and produce the majority of the sales. One part of me is glad that I can get cooler stuff to make gear and I know so many of the new business starters and have such great respect for them. I do help make the Dutch clip and I am very proud of them.

However.... There is a down side too. I have noticed that people don't post their ideas as liberally as they did before. What use to be a free exchange of ideas is now just a little less so. As a habitual DIYer and HF has really enhanced my ability to make gear. I remember threads where it was a group of us trying to work out problems and share them with each other. Now I fear nobody wants their idea to be exploited. Maybe they want to be the next Brandon. There was a figure9 thread that many of us contributed what we could with designing, producing, and testing new suspension systems. Brandon himself was a great contributor to that. Not to single him out but he is certainly one of the most successful of the cottage industries. However you will notice that he doesn't come on here anymore giving advice. He mainly just answers questions about his products. This may also be because he is busy as....I guess what I am really looking for is a DIY forum with emphasis on hammock camping. It's not bad, but it is definitely different since people are trying to make their living doing this. You don't see the long thread for things like the "bridge" anymore. I feel that we are stifling some of the creative collaboration that I really enjoyed 3 years ago. I know nothing stays the same HF has grown into a well run monster. Does anyone else think that profit has taken a little something from the forums?
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I have thanked the community previously, but I will thank you all again.

Last week, an HF lurker with backpacking sales and marketing experience contacted me. Over coffee he provided tons of free advice for Molly. We're going to do some S24O hangs soon, sorta brainstorming on the trail. He gave a big thumbs up for several works in progress. Where'd this fellow come from? I don't even know his HF screen name!

This is a wonderful place!

- MacEntyre

Does anyone else think that profit has taken a little something from the forums?
    Profit? What's that?

You mean competition?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I have noticed that people don't post their ideas as liberally as they did before.
    What about the Whoopie Suspension details? What about the Jerry Chair variations? What about all the Insultex projects? Etc... There's an awful lot of innovation still.

I dunno Dutch, I'm not sure if it has really changed that much..only the people. Some of the previous contributors are selling gear now, but we can't blame them for that since there is demand. There's nothing stopping you (or anyone else) from dissecting that cool gear they sell and posting DIY plans of how to make it. And we invite any/all manufacturers to post DIY plans of their gear for the intrepid members to try their hand at making. That would be a really cool gesture and a nod to the roots of this place.

I too Thank everyone for making this place fun and interesting...no matter how large or small the contribution. Let's keep this place welcoming and informal, no matter how it grows.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    There's nothing stopping you (or anyone else) from dissecting that cool gear they sell and posting DIY plans of how to make it.
    Well, Dutch saw what I did to your nose at Mt Rogers...
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    .... Does anyone else think that profit has taken a little something from the forums?
    Nawh ... I think it's just fine .. still loads of sharing and innovation shared online ... but that's just my way of seeing it I guess.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I sit here perusing the "today's posts" like I probably do 4-5 times a day when I'm home and am always amazed by what's going on/getting started/ or being enhanced when it comes to gadgets, gear, or gizmos.

I think back a couple years ago when I first asked my wife to sew a stupid zipper on my hammock. I was ready to just cut it off and be done with it. Then it happened that her brother had a claustrophic attack in a Hennessy and went to ground to make it through the night.

That was the beginning, 2 years later and 260+ hammocks mods later, we here at 2QZQ Hammock Specialties still see our contribution of sewing zippers on Hennessy's more of a service to keep people hanging then a "make me rich" business. If I see that mindset changing, Donna and I would hang it up and find another area to contribute. Our cottage business is really fun, sure its work, but meeting people, making a customer glad they utilized our service, and being part of the creative flow make the profitability..or lack thereof... is a secondary issue. Thanks to all who make this forum a place that draws me back and stimulates my thinking to develop the gadgets/gear/ and gismos. And Donna just commented,"I don't even hang in a hammock and I'm hooked with hammockforums."
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Don't forget the edu-tainment industry! That's Shug and all the other great videographers. They work way too cheaply! Thank you to you all.
    Mighty nice to even be included.
    I see it as one way that I can contribute and it is fun and ....... I sometimes come up with bits for my "real show" and it is terrific "on camera" practice for that TV commercial that comes along once in a while. So really it just comes right back to me!
    Thanks to all ....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast