HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    ..... Thanks to all who make this forum a place that draws me back and stimulates my thinking to develop the gadgets/gear/ and gismos. And Donna just commented,"I don't even hang in a hammock and I'm hooked with hammockforums."
    Hey pal don't ever stop ... You and the lovely Donna were the first HF cottage industry I dealt with. It's been a real pleasure. Love getting emails from you and Donna when working on something from her talent driven sewing machine!

BIG THANKS to both of you and hope to eventually meet both of you.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I will put my thanks in here to everyone,,,,,, I belong to several forums,,, but have grown to like this one best, and I have learned and continue to learn from HF.

One thing I would like to point out from my observation,,,,, I admire the guys on here that are kinda in competition, but are civil and respectfull to each other and their products....

Randy
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    A long long time ago in a land called WhiteBlaze the Speer "Cottage" was joined by the Jacks R Better "Cottage"...As the years have gone by the product lines have grown... Thousands of customers have come and gone... but the original hammock cottages are still here... Someone above said it well, "Thanks to our customers for making it fun and enjoyable".

Most all of us have been flattered by the cloning of our products at one time or the other ... And while there are plenty of DIYers... there are many more hammock users who simply want the products when they want them...So relative to Dutch's note, personally I don't see conflict here, I see lots of critters in harmony or at least in mutual co-existance.

As far as the profit motive goes...Ever the largest of us could not exist in a nitche market without retirement checks or day jobs...As much as the hammock community has grown, and it has...It is a long way from a main line market place... When those days arrive expect to see more widely distributed ENO,HHs, and other overseas products...Truthfully, JRB is planning and working its USA based expansions to be around for this future as well as the present....As yogi said, "The future ain'y what it used to be".

Hang Out in Luxury!

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonet Traveler
    Tarp
    Golite 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQ "Lost River"
    Suspension
    Warbonet Straps
    Images

Great Customer Service

Just want to say "Great Customer Service" to Brandon of Warbonet Hammocks. I had ruin a strap on my Traveler and asked to buy an extra one, well he sent me two with the buckles free of charge. I didn't even expect or asked him too. He stands behind his products! I love my Traveler and love these cottage companies. I kind of wish he had signed my hammock. I like the way Stormcrow puts a signature tag on his crows nest. Not sure if he does it to all of them, just saw a pic of one with it and thought that was cool.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I'm another fan of the grassroots businesses. I find it refreshing to actually talk or email the owner/proprieter/maker of the equipment I plan to use. That is unattainable in most niches.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    AS you are right and i did think of the whoopie sling and Jerry chair at the time I was writing th previous post as good example that contradict my point. One sure benefit has been all the group buys coming from the cottage industries and also they are supplying DIY materials. I probably have a glorified veiw of the "good old days". We talked about rings for a year.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    AS you are right and i did think of the whoopie sling and Jerry chair at the time I was writing th previous post as good example that contradict my point. One sure benefit has been all the group buys coming from the cottage industries and also they are supplying DIY materials. I probably have a glorified veiw of the "good old days". We talked about rings for a year.
    I think I know what prompted your earlier post, and that it is a gut feeling that HF is less about DIY than it once was. I wouldn't go so far to say that there are fewer DIY ideas being tossed out than before, and I certainly wouldn't say that people are holding back on DIY ideas because of the $$ thing. Don't forget the DIY stove guys. There's a half dozen of so that are spinning threads that will rival the ring buckles and bridge hammock threads.

I would say that the volume of traffic and number of people involved has grown significantly, and the "feel" of HF is that there's less about DIY than before. I think that's true in terms of proportion of posting, but not necessarily true in terms of raw numbers of DIY postings.

I used to read every post, and comment only many of them. I don't anymore, it's more a matter of scanning thread titles and seeing if anything grabs my fancy. It's kinda fascinating watching the community evolve, pretty quickly, with players coming and going. You can almost enumerate generations of active posters....

should probably file this posting in the "No Merit" thread...
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I just sewed my dutch clips in on my tree straps and installed by Whoopie Slings on my Claytor JH and I gotta say that is the slickest thing since green snot on a brass door knob.

So a thank you to Dutch, to Opie and to Grizz for demonstrating so ably the Marlin Spike Hitch, did it first try. I reduced my weight significantly and made set up that much quicker. I love the simple life when hanging.

So, I just want to once again acknowledge and thank this group for moving me to yet another step in the process. I also gained four climbing biners and some cinch buckles which I can put into my rescue kit just in case I ever have to do a Z drag and pull a submerged canoe from a river. Yee Hah!!

First pic is all the hardware I eliminated. Others are my hammock on the front porch. I think I am gonna have to hang tonight to try out my new toys.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by canoebie; 02-28-2010 at 11:57.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

As a "new guy", I just wanted to comment on the DIY/profit angle:

It reminds me of some tech forums that I frequent. The most common phrase written to "newbs" is RTFM. It's simply because the community is big enough to where most members have the answers to the questions being asked, but they don't readily provide them like a Google search clone.

I think you can walk a fine line between wanting contribution from those who "know" already and wanting collaboration between those trying to figure things out. Authorities shouldn't be defaulted too simply because they have "been there", "done that", or "do this" a specific way. That can actually be more detrimental to the ingenuity of others than the simple withholding of information on the authority side.

If Brian provided answers to every question you would end up with a bunch of OES clones. While that may not be a bad thing, it does create a fairly bland world to live in. The ease of access to information can be just as destructive.

I wasn't around even 1 year ago, so take that as you will. It's more of a philosophical point than anything else.
    Last edited by griffins; 02-28-2010 at 13:39.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    As was referred to earlier there are a lot of people here doing the same thing different ways. I like that. There are a multitude of hammock makers, tarp folks, etc. etc. etc. I think the collaboration and ingenuity works well here. No one, at least from my perspective, has taken an attitude of "been there, done that" but rather takes inquisitiveness seriously and considers options. That has been part of the culture and I hope we can maintain it. There is more than one way to paddle a canoe.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast