Hennessy Hammock Jungle
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Revelation/Gemini
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhound352 View Post
    During rainy trips some people like to store their wet suspension separate from their dry hammock.

You can use a Dutch hook on the woopie sling to separate it from the CL.
    My first Hammock was a Hennesy that someone did this exact conversion to: replaced the rope with whoopies directly into the Hammock.

A rainy night is what changed my mind. I used shoe strings to keep the water off my Hammock, but when I went to pack up the damp whoopies inevitably got the Hammock body wet. So I replaced the whoopies for continuous loops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    I live in the tropics and it rains profusely. I use whoopie slings attached directly to the gathered ends of the hammock. I use drip discs to stop the rain from running down and soaking the hammock fabric. However I donít mind packing the wet whoopies with the hammock because the amount of water they trap is negligible. All it takes is a couple of minutes at the next campsite and the hammock is dry again.

It is true that in some jungles the humidity is such that nothing really dries. But in that case the hammock is going to be damp no matter what. The moisture added by the wet whoopies makes no difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    I'm weird - I have both a CL and a whoopie sling threaded through the channels of my hammock. I prefer to use the whoopie; the CL is there as backup for when the trees are too close together for whoopies. Whichever one I use, the other dangles harmlessly. Mostly it's the CL, and I sometimes hang some items off it as a convenient storage spot.
    Good idea. I might try that. I've thought about running the whoopie sling through the hammock channel to shorten their minimum suspension length a bit and get more use from them.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Jungle
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Revelation/Gemini
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by jabraso View Post
    Good idea. I might try that. I've thought about running the whoopie sling through the hammock channel to shorten their minimum suspension length a bit and get more use from them.
    That is definitely an advantage.

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Maybe I just don't like change. Early into hammocks I put short CL'S with cinch buckles on all my ge hammocs, lnsert strap and your done. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Chigger View Post
    Maybe I just don't like change. Early into hammocks I put short CL'S with cinch buckles on all my ge hammocs, lnsert strap and your done. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Funny you should say that, I was thinking something along those lines. However, every user and every situation is different. Early on, I used to tie the Hennessy knot on my suspensions, then I changed to whoopie slings and loved them. I have used them on my hammocks ever since and will continue to do so until something more revolutionary and better comes along.

But when I started buying hammocks for our trekking company, obviously I installed whoopies on all those hammocks. It was an ultralight, simple, and easy-to-use suspension, right?... Wrong! It was a mistake. For some people the whoopie sling has a steep learning curve, no matter how many times you show them or how many times they practice. After each trek we'd come back with at least one damaged whoopie from clients that pulled the strands with their finger nails, or tied a crazy knot on the adjustable end, thus ruining the whole thing.

So we switched to long tree straps with cinch buckles. This solved the learning curve problem to a certain extent but added extra weight. However, we soon realized that the square cinch buckle can fray or shred the webbing strap on one of the edges if it's not perfectly aligned so the force is distributed evenly between the two ends of the continuous loop. Here again, no matter how many times you explain things to people, some of them have a hard time following instructions, and to be fair, rigging a hammock properly requires attention to detail, and some practice.

We finally switched to heavy-duty webbing straps with carabiners on the tree end and descending rings on the hammock end. This has solved the problem for good, although the suspension alone weighs more than 1/2 Kg, compared to just 60g of my whoopie sling suspension. I kind of feel sorry for the people that have to carry all that extra weight, but you know what, it makes their lives a lot easier, they rig their hammocks a lot faster, the equipment doesn't get damaged, it looks and feels very secure; and as far as the weight penalty goes, they don't know any better.

So, ultimately what works for one user may not work for others, and what works in one situation, doesn't necessarily apply to all situations.

R
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com