Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp

Packing Snakeskins

Hey everyone, just wondering how you all pack you hammock and tarp if you use snakeskins? Do you lash it to the outside of your pack like extra line or do you place it on top of all your other gear in your pack???

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    When i first started i used snake skins, of course then i used seperate lines instead of a solid seperate one piece ridgeline. Now that i have a solid ridgeline i just store it in a stuff sack with the first end dring sticking out, makes attaching to the ridgeline a cinch. I just loosen the cordlock and walk to the other side of the line and let it fall out til it gets to the next dring, then secure the guylines. The reason i switched to a stuff sack, could find no good way to store the tarp with the mesh. Plus the mesh got real stinky-dunno why.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I pack my tarp and hammock separate. BB goes into originial sack and goes inside pack, kinda in the middle. On top of quilts and most clothes, but under food or other gear I need to get to while hiking. My tarp goes into snakeskins and I used the ridgeline cord to bind up the snake. This goes into outside pocket so I can get to it easily if I have to setup in the rain. If it's raining, I setup tarp first. If it's not raining, then I setup hammock, quilts etc. first.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie984 View Post
    Hey everyone, just wondering how you all pack you hammock and tarp if you use snakeskins? Do you lash it to the outside of your pack like extra line or do you place it on top of all your other gear in your pack???
    I still use skins on my modified ULBA, and I sort of fold it up and it goes inside my pack, unless I have no room, and then it would go on the outside, tucked under the outside top strap on my Conduit. I usually use a pack liner, but the hammock goes above and outside of that, incase the straps are wet.

My tarp goes into net skins, and that gets tucked into the outside mesh pocket of my pack.

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    Thanks for the replies so far. That helps a good bit. Just sewed up some stuff sacks this morning. One for my tarp and then a separate one for my hammock and suspension. I think I am going to try this for now and still have enough ripstop that I might try some snakeskins later and see which I like best.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    When i first started i used snake skins, of course then i used seperate lines instead of a solid seperate one piece ridgeline. Now that i have a solid ridgeline i just store it in a stuff sack with the first end dring sticking out, makes attaching to the ridgeline a cinch. I just loosen the cordlock and walk to the other side of the line and let it fall out til it gets to the next dring, then secure the guylines. The reason i switched to a stuff sack, could find no good way to store the tarp with the mesh. Plus the mesh got real stinky-dunno why.
    Ike, looking forward to Spring , I haven't decided how to store tarp/ridgeline with an Aarn pack. I'd like to keep it on the outside of the pack, both because of moisture control and also because it's always the first thing I hang, whether I'm going to deploy the tarp overhead or not. My ridgeline/hammmock support is integral with the tarp (stowed in snakeskins). Have you attached your tarp to the outside of an Aarn pack? Put it in a front balance pocket? Used Lasso Loc Straps or otherwise connected to the blue webbing accessory loops? Where do you put your stuff sack with tarp?

Images
    i pack hammock with skinsat bottom of back. tarp on outside (or right in top if dry.
    the main reason i use snake skins is to raise my hammock to the ridge line. this gives me more space under tarp in bad weather.

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    Mesh snakeskins for the tarp, bundled with last wraps of ridgeline, then into a pocket. Hennessey with SS still attached furled, then stuffed Bishop style into modded stock sack, straps stuffed last. Head sling wrapped around sack and stakes. Packed in top of pack. That's the method this week at least...
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie984 View Post
    The first option. Either strapped on top or somewhere else on the pack(often rolled up inside a rilled up CCF pad) or in a pocket where it is handier to get to in a down pour. I'm speaking here of my JRB tarp in HH #4 skins, usually. Though I have had a tarp inside #3 skins, and my hammock and HHSSUC inside #4 skins.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Dry tarp and skins ... in the stuff-sack. Wet ... in the mesh pocket of ULA pack.
    I am a huge fan of skins on tarps......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast