Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks everyone. I have offered help and advice which could be part of the problem. I offered a HHULB with supershelter, I offered a SPE4 with foam pad and wing inserts. I offered a bag liner for the friend. They want to do it their way which I guess is fine. I would tag along but work will not permit and it would be resented anyway. It seems that the ride to Springer and money is all they want. I will not be able to hang around for a couple of days so they are on their own. These 62 yo bones are just having a difficult time remembering how resiliant 21 yo are and how I knew everything at that age. Thanks again. I feel better now.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    The love for your grandson is admirable but these are not boys but young men who, right or wrong , need to find their own way, as we did. I DO think its a good idea to meet up a couple of days later and see if they want anything . You've offered all your gear but offering your faith and trust in them is also very important. Its hard to let go,,, but necessary. You might be surprised how well they do even if they do it different from you. Their wanting an adventure .
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    The lessons they learn by doing it wrong will last much longer, than those given by others. They will be cold, tired, and wiser. Not a disastrous combination.

I remember the stupid things I did in University from ages 18 to 21. Glad my parents were not there to find out.

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    I'd try and see them a few days later and maybe give them a "gift". Otherwise, left them go and gain some wisdom and experience. Having someone to call on and lean on without judgement is the best gift anyone can give... not including a sports car (it's always a top three).

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    I am to deliver my 21 yo grandson and friend to Springer Monday morning for their attempted thru. Besides being under funded I think they are not equipped or prepared for the weather conditions. Grandson has a Travel Hammock, JRB 10x11 cat tarp, thermarest 3/4 pad and MH Phantom 15 bag. Friend has tent, blue foam pad and about 35-40 down bag. I have offered help with gear but grandson doesn't want it. He knows pretty much eveything about everything. His experience is limited to about 38 miles on AT in May 4 years ago and a few overnighters locally. Are they in for serious trouble or am I wrong?
    I just got done doing Springer to Hiawassee and I wouldn't be out there with less then a 15 degree bag. there are quite bit of ways to bale out though until the Smokies.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Give them some heat packs at the last minute and hopefully they won't get frostbite until they get someplace warm. At the opportune moment when you are dropping them off, you might tell them about nalgene hot water bottles and wool sock trick. They may view all your gear, wisdom, and advice in a whole new light after a few days of this trip.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    inner fortitude
    Suspension
    cinch & straps
    I wouldn`t worry to much , as someone already pointed out they could both sleep in the tent, besides some of the best stories you acquire in life, you earn them when the going got tough.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't know about you guys, but I remember being very cold a couple of times. You make it through and figure out how not to get into that position. They will huddle together if it gets too bad. Brings back a couple of good memories (or not).

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I wouldn't worry ... They will figure it out as they go. One cold night and all of a sudden they will be experts on what gear they will need, they'll just have to purchase along the way in a town or something ... You never know ... you might be getting a call sooner then you think.
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    This is not meant to be offensive in any way but I can't resist telling a story about a ranger I met at Rocky Mountain National Park. We were talking about the public and the joy of working with the public and the silly things they do. He referred to how many folks move to Estes Park until they spend a winter there and they lose their little "Fifi" dogs and put up lost and found posters. He went on to describe how he knows Fifi is either coyote or cougar scat.

He also talked about people who are on trail ridge drive and fascinated by thunderstorms. They stop their cars step out on the edge of a cliff and ZAP! Lightning takes at least one a year. While this is dramatic and non-reversible his observation I think is relevant to your grandson. He looked me square in the eye and said, "Nature teaches stupid people."

I used to take delinquent kids on canoe trips of 10 days in the fall in northern michigan and I would coach them on how to pack their waterproof bags. They thought they were the last of the great white mountain men. I had nothing to offer them. Then when they capsized and their bags filled with 10 gallons of water, they figured they better listen as to how to seal them properly.

In fact I recall a particularly cold morning, opening a tent with two young bucks of said persuasion sleeping soundly and I went to shake their sleeping bags a bit to rouse them out of bed for breakfast and their sleeping bags were frozen solid. Needless to say, they enjoyed the fire. They also realized that they might not know everything and I had to do nothing, and they were open to suggestions as to how to pack their waterproof bags. The river and the woods taught the needed lesson. I was their support and a resource, and I was the one who could collaborate with them as to how to solve this particular problem.

Most teens and even young adults view older (35+) adults as adversaries. It is part of their sense of infalliablity. (sp?) These lessons help them realize that we can be their best support and a great resource to them. I call it a state of "positive crisis". They are out of their element, they are in crisis, faced with problems and instead of being the enemy, we have the opportunity to share in a way that will provide support to them without belittling them. They are in crisis with positive support and opportunity for learning around them.

I am guessing that the woods will teach some lessons to your grandson. I am also guessing that if you touch base with them at some point within the next 3-7 days, they might have their minds stretched a little to consider possibilities. Even those offered by a Grandfather. If you can't be there, someone on the trail will help them. What sweet surrender.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast