Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    12' Hex
    Insulation
    RSBTR DIY Kit
    Suspension
    Breeze Buckles

Headed up to the Porkies and looking for a campground

Almost 23 years ago my wife and I went up to the Porkies for our first wedding anniversary. Unfortunately it was the first weekend of November and there was already a lot of snow on the ground that we were not prepared for so we were not able to do as much exploring as we hoped. The biggest downer is that we have not been able to go back, until now that is. We are headed out Friday morning to do the exploring we set out to do 23 years ago only this time we get to share the experience with our three youngest kids. In order to get our 11 year old daughter to agree to hang I had to promise that we would get either a cabin or a motel room one of the nights on our trip so we are staying in the Little Union River yurt (it is kind of like a cabin right?) Friday night. Since most of the campsites are reserved in the park for Saturday night I am looking for a campground somewhere between Ontonagon and Bessemer that is hammock friendly and fairly quiet. We will be hanging five hammocks to lots of trees are a must. Any recommendations?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    The Presque Isle River CG is quite lovely unfortunately I don’t recall the tree situation. It’s at the western end of the porkies.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodwzrd View Post
    Little Union River yurt
    East? or West?

I just booked one of them for Feb 2019. PLEASE take pics/video of the pots/pan/utensils in the yurt. There isn't a lot of info out there specifically (at least what I can find) and I'd love to not carry in extra pots!
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    12' Hex
    Insulation
    RSBTR DIY Kit
    Suspension
    Breeze Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    East? or West?

I just booked one of them for Feb 2019. PLEASE take pics/video of the pots/pan/utensils in the yurt. There isn't a lot of info out there specifically (at least what I can find) and I'd love to not carry in extra pots!
    We are in the one on the East side, South of the visitors center. The description says it is about a 3 mile hike in the winter and only about a mile in the summer. We are planning to do freezer bag meals so we won't need to rely on the pots and pans there but I will definitely take some pictures of what is there for you as well as the rest of the site.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodwzrd View Post
    We are in the one on the East side, South of the visitors center. The description says it is about a 3 mile hike in the winter and only about a mile in the summer. We are planning to do freezer bag meals so we won't need to rely on the pots and pans there but I will definitely take some pictures of what is there for you as well as the rest of the site.
    My mistake, we be at Union Bay East 4 Yurt.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    12' Hex
    Insulation
    RSBTR DIY Kit
    Suspension
    Breeze Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    The Presque Isle River CG is quite lovely unfortunately I don’t recall the tree situation. It’s at the western end of the porkies.
    We looked over there because we will be in that area Sunday trying to knock out the waterfall map I put together but they are all filled up with the exception of the non-reservable sites. If it was just my wife and I, I would roll the dice but with the kids I would rather not chance it. It certainly looks like a beautiful area though and we will probably try to get back up there when it isn't as busy or reserve further ahead of time.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I thought you were talking about the Porkies movie. JK...Never heard of any forest called the "Porkies" before. Wherever it is, I'm sure the weather is better than where I am right now...100 F heat and humidity...Just miserable heat....come on Fall weather!

Hammock
    Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    12' Hex
    Insulation
    RSBTR DIY Kit
    Suspension
    Breeze Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    I thought you were talking about the Porkies movie. JK...Never heard of any forest called the "Porkies" before. Wherever it is, I'm sure the weather is better than where I am right now...100 F heat and humidity...Just miserable heat....come on Fall weather!
    Haha the thought of that movie crossed my mind after I made the post but I figured I would just leave it. The "Porkies" is in reference to the Porcupine Mountains in the Upper Peninsula or Michigan. There is a very vast state park up there. With the exception of some rain Friday and maybe Saturday morning the weather is supposed to be great. Upper 60's and low 70's. You can keep your heat and humidity.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    12' Hex
    Insulation
    RSBTR DIY Kit
    Suspension
    Breeze Buckles

• + New Posts