Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Images
    PS:
    If I am even slightly cold- no, even just cool, or not quite warm in lower back/butt area- I will invariably be up to pee many times, rather than just 1 or even zero.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stumo View Post
    Pretty darn cold up there in sector seven! Great report though. My coldest night this year was 15 degrees F and I had hung everything in the dark. Awoke with a cold butt and I too had the UQ touching the snow. Got up (peed too) and tighten the suspension and all was well. That Winter Yeti sure is puffy. Me likes!
    stumo
    I hate butt on snow!!!!! My fault though.

Quote Originally Posted by questtrek View Post
    Great report Shug, Man, 4* ... I don't know how you do it ... I get cold just walking outside and I have lived in Michigan all my life ...lol. Nice to see someone trying and succeeding at winter camping in the woods. Great stuff! Thanks
    I am a desperate little man!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Thanks for the report, Shug! You sound like me when I write about my synthetic Yeti! I may be doing something else wrong after all this time. None the less, I have found adequate tightness to be critical to success with mine. Now I sometimes suspect that the wight of all 4 layers of Climashield might cause a greater tendency to pull down and sag away from my back than down might. IOW, down might puff upwards and increase the chance of the insulation contacting my back. I don't really know, just guessing.

But with mine, going from good and tight to really, really tight seems to make a noticeable difference. When tight enough, that UQ is unbelievably warm against my back and butt. If temps are not all that cold, say 30s or 40s, it actually feels like I am laying on an electric warming blanket for sore backs. And the longer I lay there, the warmer I get.

But, I don't have to loosen it much to notice a dramatic difference. I would prefer not to have to tighten it so much, I think it is some how more comfortable when just snug, plus I worry about it being TOO tight. But when it comes to warmth, tighter seems better for me. Usually, when I am in the hammock and when things are really feeling warm, I am only able to push the quilt down, with my hands, a very few inches further. Beyond that, I am out of shock cord stretch.

I had it pretty tight one day, laid in it, and had AngrySp check it for me. There was a small gap on one end, I can't remember which end. I grabbed the shock cord and pulled about 1/2 to 1 foot tighter. AS said that snugged things right up with a nice seal on each end. Also, AS pointed out to me that the draft tubes could end up poorly positioned. For example, if I pull the quilt from the foot towards my head, the foot end draft tube can roll outside the quilt, making it harder to form a good seal, especially if not way tight. I did a little mod. I sewed some thread in a few spots, which will hopefully keep the draft tube from being pulled too far in the wrong direction. I think this might be helping. For whatever reason, I sure have had a warm back and butt lately!

Do you think that, once the quilt contacted the snow, some dampness got into the down, making it tougher to warm back up? Of course, it was only 1*F, so...........
    Thanks .... great thoughts there!!!!
    I may tack mine back as I did wonder about that.
    Will tighten my shocks more and add tabs to the side to put a hook on to the ridgeline.
    There was no dampness from the snow.....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    PS:
    If I am even slightly cold- no, even just cool, or not quite warm in lower back/butt area- I will invariably be up to pee many times, rather than just 1 or even zero.
    Pretty short post for you!

That and the cold medicine.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    My OLD original KAQ Patomic had the sag problem: LONG elastic cords through full length channels, I solved the problem by replacing 1/2 the length of elastic cord with similar static cord. This (Mostly) fixed the problem. It will still sag a bit over a long night, over 8 hrs, but not as bad as before; 4" in about 3 hrs.
    If I did it again, I would cut the elastic in the middle, then reattach the elastic doubled over with the static cord in the middle.
    This MAY affect how your quilt slides for positioning, but I can't see it being that big a problem.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Pretty short post for you!
    Yeah, I think I was feeling a little under the weather, can't think of any other reason why that would happen. I'll try to meet my standards in the future!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    My OLD original KAQ Patomic had the sag problem: LONG elastic cords through full length channels, I solved the problem by replacing 1/2 the length of elastic cord with similar static cord. This (Mostly) fixed the problem. It will still sag a bit over a long night, over 8 hrs, but not as bad as before; 4" in about 3 hrs.
    If I did it again, I would cut the elastic in the middle, then reattach the elastic doubled over with the static cord in the middle.
    This MAY affect how your quilt slides for positioning, but I can't see it being that big a problem.
    That and those are good techniques .... Explore I shall.

Yeah, I think I was feeling a little under the weather, can't think of any other reason why that would happen. I'll try to meet my standards in the future!

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    MAN! Minnesota winters aren't for wimps. Looks like a great rig for conditions I will likely never see around here in Tennessee unless I live on Roan High Knob (6286 ft) all winter. Then I might get snow like that a week or so each January/February. Maybe.

Good on ya.

Hammock
    ENO / WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    Cooks / Kelty
    Suspension
    straps
    That night was a beautiful night. I was lucky enough to rent the ENTIRE Banning State Park for only $16. No one else in the park but a friend and I. With the moon close to being full there was no need for headlamps while snowshoeing. Very dream like to walk along the trails at night, although the shadows start to play games with your mind at times. We left the tarp in the Snake Skins so we could watch the moon travel across the sky. I'm glad others got out to enjoy the beautiful Minnesota winter night.
    Thank you Shug for being a role model. You have impacted more lives than you know. keep up the great work.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mn-Fire View Post
    ... Thank you Shug for being a role model. You have impacted more lives than you know. ....
    Hmmm ... have you started eating mustard biscuits yet? Found local supply of "Al Capone's"? Looked into mail order Livermush?

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Got cold fast. Moon was on bright. Woods were lit like a Hollywood stage set. Coyotes howling. Owls hooty-hooing back and forth. The trees were popping, cracking and exploding all around. Not falling over ... just doing that winter ice pop thing. You gotta hear it!
    From the best:

"You know what it's like in the Yukon wild when it's sixty-nine below;
    When the ice-worms wriggle their purple heads through the crust of the pale blue snow;
    When the pine-trees crack like little guns in the silence of the wood,
    And the icicles hang down like tusks under the parka hood;"
    RS

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast