Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Shug,

Looks like you should have stayed with the JRB Sleeves over the feet...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    i like the "started to get cold fast" part. haha, like it wasn't 10 deg when you started. i like a little winter hanging but i'm not in the polar bear club. if it's 1 deg. outside. i will be in 68 deg. heated climate(also known as my couch). i give you credit shug, you are the man amongst boys with cold hanging.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Also I think my Winter Yeti is so over-stuffed that on the shock-cord and channel system ...it starts to droop. Yeah ... droop. So a gap maybe. I am going to add a couple of loops where my butt sits at the top of the channels and start hooking to my hammock ridgeline. That I am. I know the WY is warm. Shock-cord was tight tight. Maybe I need tight tight tight.
    I felt my Tewa Winter Coat had same problem of drooping because it's too heavy for shock cords. I added a shockcord to center of each end with a loop that goes over the gathered knot of hammock. Easy on easy off. Helps with weight of UQ and helps keep butt and shoulder ends up against hammock to keep drafts out. I also shorten the shockcord that was already on th UQ. When I'm in hammock, it looks like I have the quilt way too tight on hammock but what does it matter since it's differential cut.

Had a weird dream that something pushed me upward from under my hammock and in the dream .. that I thought was real ... I heard tons of morning birds. I woke myself going "Arhhhhh" ... and realized it was just a dream. No birds confirmed it. Man, it felt real.
    I had a dream where I thought something stuck its head under my tarp and bumped and sniffed my foot. It felt soooooo real. I sat straight up and my heart was pounding. Took a while to settle back down. In morning I realized that it would have been impossible the way I dreamed it because my bugnet was zipped on my BB. And man it did feel real.

My new Columbia zip boots were warm and comfy and light and warm.
    Are these a warmer replacements for your Keen eVent boots? I have Keen eVent boots and I love them for winter hiking but my feet freeze in them around camp. I change out socks and my feet still freeze up on me. Don't know if I wet down boot while hiking, but so far no-go for me in camp. I don't do a lot of winter camping so I'm still experimenting. I sure do like them for walking to work in winter so I do feel I'm getting my $$$ worth.

Thanks so much for all the fun and valuable information.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly.hiker View Post
    sounded wonderful, Thanks
    It was.....it always is!

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I freeze at 32* like normal people. 4* !!! No thanks.
    I know ...... but winter is looooong in Minnesota!

Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post
    So Shug, you prefere the MSR Whisperlite over the mini atomic? Only in the snow? Reasons??
    I am melting snow for my water as all creeks and such are ice covered .... thick ice. No way to do that all day with MA .... ya' gotta have white gas. 1º !
    Mini-Atomic for breakfast from the hammock though. I sleep with the fuel. Water is in the hammock with me so it does not freeze. Boils my 1 3/4 cups water pretty fast in the morn on 1 ounce of fuel. Just gets to a boil.

Quote Originally Posted by gRaFFiX View Post
    Oddly, my feet have been cold all day, even layin in the BB in the backyard with my thermarest. But as soon as I read "1*" they warmed up and are now toasty warm. Crazy how a little perspective can make all the difference.
    That is funny. Sometimes I try to "think" my feet warm.......

Quote Originally Posted by Hangin' Burrito View Post
    It is weird how the same gear that you put up time & time again, the same way every time, can fail you on just a normal outing.
    Last weekend I went to a local campground and Friday night my UQ didn't perform up to par either. I still don't know why. I've used it in 15*f weather with no problem. Friday night it was only like 26*f.
    Oh well, I'm holding to the hope that Spring is but a little ways away, and all of us will be hangin' in warmth and tranquility!
    Lookin' forward to seeing another Shug Classic!!
    It is weird .... huh. Like it can be 10º here on a damp night and just feel bone cold and the next night is -10º and feel warmer ......... It just is.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
    nice report Shug- i was standing outside the other moonlit night and had wished i was out ,it is a beautiful thing in the bush at night in the winter with the moon almost reflecting off the snow and especially nice to be alone with your thoughts.oh yeah, and the trees popping is always cool too.
    It is just too good. Wish I would have had my woodburner with me for a wee fire.
    It was a tree-popping symphony!

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Shug, you're a wordsmith! Nice of you to do all those great videos, but don't forsake the "printed page" (There's a phrase on the way to obsolescence.)

I love the sound of trees cracking on a cold night, too. Like a line drive.
    Thanks ...... it can't be all vidoes. A written report takes less hard drive space!
    Is it moisture in the trees doing that?
    I go with that thought......
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ / SS TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Bringing the piney woods straight into your home, Shug brings the snap, crackle, and kaboom experience like no other.

Words fail to describe...

...but there it is in print for all to enjoy.

Read more to find Shug struggling to survive against the sleep stealing snow and the significance of being snug during slumber. Surprisingly sunrise shows before our star submits.

Stay tuned for Shug's further saga! It should be sensational. So put your hands together for Shug!

...and the show goes on!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Shug,
    Looks like you should have stayed with the JRB Sleeves over the feet...
    Pan
    How right you are Pan!!!!!!
    I did wear them as "sleeves" though. And pillow. They are one of my favorite pieces of gear. Never tire of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ref103 View Post
    i like the "started to get cold fast" part. haha, like it wasn't 10 deg when you started. i like a little winter hanging but i'm not in the polar bear club. if it's 1 deg. outside. i will be in 68 deg. heated climate(also known as my couch). i give you credit shug, you are the man amongst boys with cold hanging.
    HappyCamper;217131I felt my Tewa Winter Coat had same problem of drooping because it's too heavy for shock cords. I added a shockcord to center of each end with a loop that goes over the gathered knot of hammock. Easy on easy off. Helps with weight of UQ and helps keep butt and shoulder ends up against hammock to keep drafts out. I also shorten the shockcord that was already on th UQ. When I'm in hammock, it looks like I have the quilt way too tight on hammock but what does it matter since it's differential cut.
    I would like to see a picture of the first part .....
    More tweaking and such. The fun is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper
    I had a dream where I thought something stuck its head under my tarp and bumped and sniffed my foot. It felt soooooo real. I sat straight up and my heart was pounding. Took a while to settle back down. In morning I realized that it would have been impossible the way I dreamed it because my bugnet was zipped on my BB. And man it did feel real.
    Must be the deep hammock sleep.

Are these a warmer replacements for your Keen eVent boots? I have Keen eVent boots and I love them for winter hiking but my feet freeze in them around camp. I change out socks and my feet still freeze up on me. Don't know if I wet down boot while hiking, but so far no-go for me in camp. I don't do a lot of winter camping so I'm still experimenting. I sure do like them for walking to work in winter so I do feel I'm getting my $$$ worth.
    Thanks so much for all the fun and valuable information
    Yes they are. I love the Keen Growlers and they are fine while I am Active... but the tootsies get chilly while lolly-gagging. I was surprised how comfy the Columbia boots were for snow-shoeing. Time will tell .... will tell.
    Last edited by Shug; 02-28-2010 at 10:26.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 41vi4 View Post
    Bringing the piney woods straight into your home, Shug brings the snap, crackle, and kaboom experience like no other.

Words fail to describe...

...but there it is in print for all to enjoy.

Read more to find Shug struggling to survive against the sleep stealing snow and the significance of being snug during slumber. Surprisingly sunrise shows before our star submits.

Stay tuned for Shug's further saga! It should be sensational. So put your hands together for Shug!

...and the show goes on!
    I love alliteration......
    You know .... I do it for you all. I have no fun what-so-ever!

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Pretty darn cold up there in sector seven! Great report though. My coldest night this year was 15 degrees F and I had hung everything in the dark. Awoke with a cold butt and I too had the UQ touching the snow. Got up (peed too) and tighten the suspension and all was well. That Winter Yeti sure is puffy. Me likes!

stumo

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Great report Shug, Man, 4* ... I don't know how you do it ... I get cold just walking outside and I have lived in Michigan all my life ...lol. Nice to see someone trying and succeeding at winter camping in the woods. Great stuff! Thanks
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

Images

***** IMPORTANT UQ INFO***** Was sleeping good and kinda got cold butt ... never had that with the Yeti ... seems in my haste to slumber I did not adjust my hammock up. I keep it down for sitting sometime and my UQ was just touching the snow. Got out ... peed ... why not? ... and fixed it. Was good for a while but butt was cool not really cold. Here is what I think .... I was close to the snow pack, more-so than usual and I thing that was it . Really just inches away from the snow. Also, I ate real early and by now it was 1:30AM-ish. Also I think my Winter Yeti is so over-stuffed that on the shock-cord and channel system ...it starts to droop. Yeah ... droop. So a gap maybe. I am going to add a couple of loops where my butt sits at the top of the channels and start hooking to my hammock ridgeline. That I am. I know the WY is warm. Shock-cord was tight tight. Maybe I need tight tight tight.................]
    Thanks for the report, Shug! You sound like me when I write about my synthetic Yeti! I may be doing something else wrong after all this time. None the less, I have found adequate tightness to be critical to success with mine. Now I sometimes suspect that the wight of all 4 layers of Climashield might cause a greater tendency to pull down and sag away from my back than down might. IOW, down might puff upwards and increase the chance of the insulation contacting my back. I don't really know, just guessing.

But with mine, going from good and tight to really, really tight seems to make a noticeable difference. When tight enough, that UQ is unbelievably warm against my back and butt. If temps are not all that cold, say 30s or 40s, it actually feels like I am laying on an electric warming blanket for sore backs. And the longer I lay there, the warmer I get.

But, I don't have to loosen it much to notice a dramatic difference. I would prefer not to have to tighten it so much, I think it is some how more comfortable when just snug, plus I worry about it being TOO tight. But when it comes to warmth, tighter seems better for me. Usually, when I am in the hammock and when things are really feeling warm, I am only able to push the quilt down, with my hands, a very few inches further. Beyond that, I am out of shock cord stretch.

I had it pretty tight one day, laid in it, and had AngrySp check it for me. There was a small gap on one end, I can't remember which end. I grabbed the shock cord and pulled about 1/2 to 1 foot tighter. AS said that snugged things right up with a nice seal on each end. Also, AS pointed out to me that the draft tubes could end up poorly positioned. For example, if I pull the quilt from the foot towards my head, the foot end draft tube can roll outside the quilt, making it harder to form a good seal, especially if not way tight. I did a little mod. I sewed some thread in a few spots, which will hopefully keep the draft tube from being pulled too far in the wrong direction. I think this might be helping. For whatever reason, I sure have had a warm back and butt lately!

Do you think that, once the quilt contacted the snow, some dampness got into the down, making it tougher to warm back up? Of course, it was only 1*F, so...........

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast