Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    It is not the ridgeline seem that makes a MacCat so taut. If you look at the MacCat micro it is still very taut and has no ridgeline seem. It is the catenary cut on the edges.
    You're right about the cuts and tautness, but I do think the seam helps with the "A" shape of the tarp, especially when it isn't pulled taut. You can get a good straight ridge by only tying up the ridge ends and letting the sides simply drape. But, if you do that with a tarp with no ridge it tends to have the 'ripples' like in Goatman's pictures.

At least that's my observation when comparing the stock HH tarps to ones with seams. Besides the tarp that came with my HH, all the tarps I own have ridge seams.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I put 8" of 1/4" elastic looped 3 times and square knot it at each of the 4 corners. It leaves a triple band about 2" or so long, which stretches a little and takes up the sag when it happens. I may not be explaining it very well, but I don't have any sag issues using this method.

Maybe when I get back from the trip I'm leaving on today I'll remember to put a pic up, but right now I'm needing a nap before I leave on a 4-hour drive to Damascus.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    First always tie to the trees.... Tarp Gospel 101.... or go thro extra rigging issues to work around the problem of dynamic sag when the hammock is loaded...better to eliminate the cause of problem than work around it...

True ridgelines may not be absolutely required but they sure do simplify the easy pitch/good pitch (no wrinke pockets) process.

Finally, realize that all silnyl streches a couple percent when wet (even a fair dew will bring it on/ it shrinks in the desert also.... but there it often picks a constant due to the constant low humidity).... Therefore, STL or home grown tensioners are a great way to ensure the pitch you retire with is the pitch you awake with....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    on the question of having a seam down the ridge line, i remember the instructions that came w/ my 1st home made tarp (a ray way).
    they talked about how much the ridge line (folded, sewn, & sealed) increased the strength of the whole ridge line (thinking from guy line to guy line, including the attachment points for the guy lines). and i believe this to be true.
    not only does it seem to help give a neater look, but in a high wind situation, i'd feel much better w/ the extra strength of proper seam in the ridge line than just having the guy lines attached to the edge seam.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images

asym tarp hung with ridgeline and sand bags

Goatman:

Since it is pretty windy out there today, I thought I would set up and attempt to upload a couple of pics. In case my words were a bit unintelligible, well a picture is worth a thousand, right?

Anyway, the only thing you can't really see is the added ridgeline, since it is under the tarp. And the hooks on the tarp from which the sand bags are hung. I still get some small amount of tarp sag with this backyard set up when I get in, as my ropes (by which I attach the cross frame to the trees) are long and seem to have some stretch in them. These trees are slim (one is anyway) and pretty far apart for hanging, about 30 feet. So my other "tree" ( 2x4s) to which I have the tarp and hammock attached are moved towards the middle just a bit when I get in, causing a little sag. I don't get even that much tarp sag when tied to real trees either thicker or closer together.

But those sand bags made a noticeable difference in how the tarp reacted to the winds once I am in the hammock. It still moves with the breeze, but in a much slower and gentle/quieter fashion, as compared to the normal violent flapping. The pics are pretty low res to save bandwidth, but I think you can get the idea.

I find this pitch toghtness and wind response to be acceptable. Of course, it can't touch my MacCat deluxe. HOWEVER, in it's favor, it does only require 2 stake out points. And if I'm not expecting heavy storms, I often just attache the tarp to the suspension in normal fashion, and then zip tarp and all ( and SuperShelter undercover in cold weather) up in the #4 snake skins, which makes set up and take down unbelievably fast! But if the weather turns nasty by surprise, I already have my additional guylines attached to the tarp, and I just attach them to the trees for when I need a really tight pitch. Of course, except for the "only 2 stake out points", I can also do all of the above with my MacCat Deluxe. But the Hen tarp seems a little smoother and quicker to roll up in the skins with the hammock.

But if it's a long trip or I know in advance heavy rain/wind are forcast, I probably use separate skins or sacks for the hammock and tarp, and tie tarp to trees first.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-21-2007 at 14:53.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12