Hammock
    Hyperlite & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, CCF & BA
    Images

Saggy HH Tarp

I'm a newbie to hammocking and maybe should have RTFM for my Hyperlight but I can't seem to get this stock HH tarp to pull out nice and flat w/o a ripply ridge line ...photos: top bottom?

I know the advice of some here is to ditch the stock HH tarp for a larger one which is in the plan. But in the meantime I'm wondering if this a quality issue w/mine or all HH tarps have this ridgeline ripple? (Albeit I did purchase a 'demo' hammock) I've tired all combos of tightness of both the hammock/tarp ridge lines and their pullouts. Didn't see anything in the instructions how to resolve this either? It's annoying at night cause it flaps in the slightest breeze and wakes me up!!!

Suggestions? TKS!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I think if there is one design flaw in the HH is that the tarp attatches to the support lines. To get rid of the sag you must tie the tarp to the tree.

Peace Dutch

Hammock
    Hyperlite & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, CCF & BA
    Images

separate tie offs

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I think if there is one design flaw in the HH is that the tarp attatches to the support lines. To get rid of the sag you must tie the tarp to the tree.

Peace Dutch
    TKS Dutch but I just tried separating them and got the same result as before????

Blasted RIPPLES!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Dutch is right. The way that the tarp attaches to the suspension of a stock HH causes some sag in the tarp when you put weight in the hammock. Even if you don't replace the tarp with something bigger, you'll get a more tight tarp by attaching it directly to the trees instead of those sliding tarp tensioners that came with your HH.

You may actually find that you need to tie the tarp lines to the tree several inches below where you tie your HH spectra. That way, when you get in the hammock and it sags a little, the tarp will still be close to the ridgeline of your bugnet thus offering more protection.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goatman View Post
    TKS Dutch but I just tried separating them and got the same result as before????

Blasted RIPPLES!
    You probably won't ever get it as tight as some of the pictures you see on this board of MacCats and BlackCats because it doesn't have a ridgeline seam. It's just not made to hang as taut as those are. But, with some practice, you can get an acceptably taut hang.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Hyperlite & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, CCF & BA
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    You probably won't ever get it as tight as some of the pictures you see on this board of MacCats and BlackCats because it doesn't have a ridgeline seam. It's just not made to hang as taut as those are. But, with some practice, you can get an acceptably taut hang.
    hmm, I must need a lot practice cuz no matter how I hang it I get the bloody ripples? It's like something heavy hung in the tarp like a hammock and stretched the middle out? sigh, ...oh well.

I'll be looking at a new tarp sooner than I expected.

Thanks ...S

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It also has to do with the fabric's bias...I'm not sure there's really a way to make that tarp as tight as others. If you want the light weight and simplicity of that stock tarp, you have to compromise a little bit with the tight pitch. It still offers adequate protection...just not as tight of a pitch as a cat tarp.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Yeah, the tarp is a big flaw in the HH system. You can never seem to get the tarp tensioned right. Even if you do get it half way tight it will sag before long. Something I never tried but may help is try making some tarp tensioners.

Switching to a different tarp will solve you problem so you may just have to live with ripples for the time being.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    I can get it a lot tighter these days than when I first got it. Tieing to the trees is a big help. Whether or not you do this, add your own ridge line with a thin piece of cord. I just tie it to the plastic rings on the end of the tarp, or you could tie it to the tree, which I suspect would work even better, but have not bothered with yet. I tie it to one end, run it thru the other end and back a few inches towards where I have a truckers loop in the line and thru that loop, and tighten up. This will usually give me a nice sharp A frame style ridge-line.

If you don't yet have line tensioners ( like me! ), then hang a weight from the Asym sides of the tarp. The tarp has a little plastic hook at left and right asym points that is for this very purpose. I usually use empty stuff sacks filled with sand or dirt. Do this ESPECIALLY if you are attached to the suspension spectra in normal Hennessy style, but do it either way. This will A: provide constant tension on the tarp as it expands and contracts with rain/temp and or if it sags when you get in(if not tied to trees), and B: it will help a good bit with the incessant wind noise from the HH stock tarp flapping in the breeze. It seems to short circuit a good bit of the oscillations- or whatever- that set up in that tarp when windy. And I can tell you from personal experience that can drive you wacko on a long windy night!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-20-2007 at 11:50.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    It is not the ridgeline seem that makes a MacCat so taut. If you look at the MacCat micro it is still very taut and has no ridgeline seem. It is the catenary cut on the edges.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast