Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    There are a few things you should know before you run out and buy a kayak. First, you're not going to find a boat capable of handling the conditions we are likely to find on the ocean without a fairly big investment. You want a boat that is a minimum of 12 to 14 feet long with bulkheads fore and aft. The length is so you have enough boat under you so it tracks straight and you don't waste energy zigzagging through the water. The bulkheads are so when (not if) the boat flips, it will float level when filled with water. That way it is possible to get back in, pump it out and continue your paddling. The water temperature that time of year is right around 50 degrees F, so you have less than an hour before exposure sets in if you are in the water. That means you had better know how to get back in your boat and have practiced self rescue several times before this trip. This is not something for a beginner to try. Kayaks are more difficult to handle when loaded and the water is cold and unforgiving.

We live fairly close, I'd be happy to loan you my extra boat and take you out for a paddle some time soon.
    Thanks what-John. I knew there was ocean/sea kayaking vs lake but didn't understand that there was hat much to it.

Pete

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG hex, WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    No date yet. I've only been to one hang (where we met ) and I'm trying to figure out the date. The hang in Maine is one I would definitely not want to conflict with as I would want to go to it, too. If anybody has a date for the Maine hang, please let me know. I will schedule around it.

The way the permit works is I email the nice lady at DCR (Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation) with the number of people expected. They charge me $8 per "site" which is in increments of four people (12 people = 3 sites = $24; 13-16 people = 4 sites = $32 for example).

There is no firewood for sale at the island and none can be brought but you can burn all you want from the piles the Ranges make from cleanup and driftwood. Fires can only be set below the high tide mark. No fires at the camping area. There is a pretty nice composting toilet and a couple of fresh water sources in the camping area. There are carts (like big wheelbarrows) available to haul your gear up to the camping area near the dock. All in all a pretty nice setup. plenty of good trees to hang from. There are trails to hike and cool views of Boston, Hull and the other islands. The island used to be a fort for defense of Boston Harbor. Lots of history there.

http://www.bostonharborislands.org/peddocks-island
    The Maine Hang is always the last weekend in April so for 2019 it would be the 26, 27, 28

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaggletooth View Post
    The Maine Hang is always the last weekend in April so for 2019 it would be the 26, 27, 28
    Are there any hangs in early or mid June that this might conflict with?

Sent from my SM-T378V using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG hex, WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle
    Images
    Yes in addition to the Maine hang during that time is Spring NEHHA hang and the cast Iron Hang. I'm looking into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Snaggletooth View Post
    I think he's referring to the paddle-in hang. This year it was father's day weekend. I think it was later the year before (our first year).

It's not scheduled yet for 2019. Flash Grundelore - do you have a preferred weekend? I know your location is up in the air. Hoping Elf Eliza decides Maine is not so bad after all!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Question: does anyone else want a refresher on wet exits, rescues, etc? I have some friends who are ACA instructors who might do this for us (possibly for a reasonable fee).

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    RE: Paddle In at Flagstaff Lake
    I wanna do it again even if it means coming back just for that purpose, and June [before schools let out] is really good time.
    I'd lean toward the 2nd or 3rd weekends...
    I try to get an interest thread up and running soon, so we can "book" a weekend and everyone can start planning around it!
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Print2Fabric
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness HG
    Suspension
    Mantis w Spider Da
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    RE: Paddle In at Flagstaff Lake
    I wanna do it again even if it means coming back just for that purpose, and June [before schools let out] is really good time.
    I'd lean toward the 2nd or 3rd weekends...
    I try to get an interest thread up and running soon, so we can "book" a weekend and everyone can start planning around it!
    Woohoo!!

My spray skirt just came!!!

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Ok, let's plan the Island Hang for the 2nd weekend in June, 2019. We can meet on the Island on Friday evening and plan for a pot luck Saturday.

The cost will be approximately $5 per person based on my cost for the permit. I'll add a sign up sheet soon.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast