Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    Hey Opie, I have been kicking around the same idea as yours only adding a 2nd T-rack behind the truck with a 12' square tubing extension between the two. The 2nd T-rack would have 2 stabilizer jacks to support it. It will pin together for easy assembly/disassembly.

If you had a headache rack on your truck, that would work for the front attachments.
    Yep, that sounds like a good option.

Of course.... This will make the gram weenies wince.....

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Nice setup.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza2154 View Post
    Anybody ever used a single tree and the roof bars on the top of an SUV as a secondary haning point.
    I've seen some pics of that kind of setup in the galleries. I've had the trailer hitch thing in my head for awhile and like the idea of having that available in the back of my SUV for truck camping.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Here is an idea http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_19670_19670 Take a look down the page there is 2 ways that you can insert the thing I think one that puts the bar even with the trucks roof would work the best, but you might have to use it with a hitch extender for hammocking.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    No, I'm not giving up the tent. I just got it, and it's awesome. I have a truck bedz air mattress, which is custom for the truck. I think I will just bring the hammocks with me and use them if I can. This will always give me more options.
    Good plan.

I also have a Taco double cab, and can't imagine hanging a hammock in side the box (60" + the tailgate). Every hammock I own has a ridgeline length of around 101"...add suspension to that, and you're looking at 9 feet, or more.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Yep, that sounds like a good option.

Of course.... This will make the gram weenies wince.....
    Yep. I wouldn't carry it any further than from the bed to the ground.

Here is an idea http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_19670_19670 Take a look down the page there is 2 ways that you can insert the thing I think one that puts the bar even with the trucks roof would work the best, but you might have to use it with a hitch extender for hammocking.
    I may be wrong, but at only 25 lbs, I don't think it is constructed of heavy enough square tubing to withstand the latteral forces a hammock would put on it at that height. Notice that Opie's has guy lines attached to his tie-downs in the bed plus the additional welded brace.

No, I'm not giving up the tent. I just got it, and it's awesome. I have a truck bedz air mattress, which is custom for the truck. I think I will just bring the hammocks with me and use them if I can. This will always give me more options.
    Haktorious, I started using the tent over the bed and a bed mattress in the back of a 1981 Toyota diesel pickup, while I was in school in the early 80's. Even then, I would do anything to stay off the ground. I don't have any photos of that but here is one from the 90's where I put one up for the kids. I always thought about ways to manufacture something like yours, but never had the resources.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    hey opie do you need the extra tie outs on the rear support. I have been thinking of making one of these for my truck so I can hang off my headrack.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by plowhorse View Post
    hey opie do you need the extra tie outs on the rear support. I have been thinking of making one of these for my truck so I can hang off my headrack.
    Depends on if youre going to use a tarp or not. If you are attaching a tarp to the post, then yes you need to guy it out. Otherwise your tarp will sag when you weight the post.

Also... I would guy it out anyway....Just make it more stable. You can attach the support rope to the regular bed tie downs.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Depends on if youre going to use a tarp or not. If you are attaching a tarp to the post, then yes you need to guy it out. Otherwise your tarp will sag when you weight the post.

Also... I would guy it out anyway....Just make it more stable. You can attach the support rope to the regular bed tie downs.
    I've got one of these rigs, and I wouldn't even think about hanging from it w/o the standing rigging. That's a tremendous amount of leverage, there.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    thanks opie. I was considering making the upright lean back at an angle similar to the hammock stands, and then supporting it with bracing front and rear. some of the places I would be using this rig I might not be able to anchor into the ground.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast