JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newzy View Post
    Spin? As in?
    Spinnaker is a material that's lighter than silnylon that people are using for tarps.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Spinnaker is a material that's lighter than silnylon that people are using for tarps.
    Spinn also has (and even more importantly than the lighter weight in my opinion) a bias stabilizing coating applied to it before the silicone coating. This makes it so it doesn't stretch the way standard silnylon does.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Spinn also has (and even more importantly than the lighter weight in my opinion) a bias stabilizing coating applied to it before the silicone coating. This makes it so it doesn't stretch the way standard silnylon does.
    The stabilizing coating brings benefits, such as no stretch and waterproofness, and negatives, such as localizing loads which makes a fabric more fragile. Anytime the threads of a fabric aren't free to move it loses the very mechanism that makes fabrics so strong and flexible. Not saying spinn isn't still a good choice just that there are plusses and minuses. Sounds like it would be a lot easier to work with since the material wouldn't shift so much as you measure, cut and sew.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    When can we see cuben tarps here? The material is just as strong, in fact stronger than spinn if you get thicker cuben. I imagine the weight savings would be quite significant.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I was once worried about such things, no longer. When hiking, I generally carry my tarp in the outside mesh pocket on my ULAs so I can easily deploy. When I started carrying it on the AT in N. Carolina, I was very worried. I babied it and spoke nicely to it. I always lovingly and carefully stuffed it back into the pack every morning. Then at Trail Days a big branch broke and fell from about 30' right onto the sidewall of my Spinn baby. As the first tear of loss started to form in the corner of my eye, the 3" branch hit my tarp and was bounced 10' away. Not even a blemish on my tarp and I was expecting a huge gash. After that, I got over myself and started treating it like any other tarp. I went through NJ no problems. Had to bushwack about 2 miles after missing a fork in the trail in NY; my face, legs, and arms were shredded by branches, but not my Spinn tarp in the outer mesh pocket. Here in Colorado I've had the wind grab it when I'm setting it up and rake it across winter brush; no marks.

The stuff is tough! Hard to believe holding it I understand, but it's a whole lot tougher than it looks or feels.
    In regards to the bouncing limb, was your ridgeline over or under your tarp? rull or seperate tieouts?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    In regards to the bouncing limb, was your ridgeline over or under your tarp? rull or seperate tieouts?
    I don't use a ridgeline with my tarps. Two lines off of each end secured by Fig 9s and Mason line ground ties with no tensioners.
    Trust nobody!

I was looking at the findings from Brian's class projects and he has found some really interesting preliminary conclusions based upon his testing of nyong/spinn/cuben.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Yep, I can give an update, some initial findings, although I am still collecting data in the next 2-3 weeks so I'll have some more substantial claims to make then
    • Silnylon vs. SpinnUL - My Spinnaker offering has about half the tensile strength of silnylon, although their UV response seems to be very similar. But it seems that in practical applications, the strength is plenty.

• As a matter of fact, all three nylon samples I tested showed identical stress/strain curves (Young's Modulus) regardless of exposure, so UV exposure does not change how brittle the fabric is in tension.

• In tension, the ripstop fabrics always failed at the ripstop. Keep in mind these are pretty extreme stresses (45 lbf per inch of fabric width), but interesting nonetheless. UV exposure exacerbated the problem. Is this reason enough to get rid of ripstop - hardly!

• Our bulb source was shooting off the equivalent of 10x the UVB rays at the equator, at high noon, in the summer. Powerful stuff. After three days of exposure, the nylon fabrics simply broke apart upon handling, which shouldn't be a surprise. I'll have some quantitative relationships once more data is collected.

• Cuben fiber is really interesting stuff. The data we have shows that the variability in the laminate is pretty extreme - a 40% range in tensile strength ranging from sample to sample, although it's claim as to being 'very UV resistant' seems to be true. Given the variability, this isn't a fabric I would want to use with sewn through applications, but rather the bonding solution that the manufacturer recommends.

Again, these are just a few initial thoughts and trends, hopefully I can tease some real information out of the final data once it's done. And I don't quite want to finish yet - I'm still trying to formulate a Master's research plan
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=10739

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR

OT

Quote Originally Posted by Newzy View Post
    Spin? As in?
    Spinntex, Silicone impregnated treated Polyester Ripstop ,there are many different Spinnaker Sailcloths mostly not waterproof and rather stiff few are packable enough and waterproof as spinntex.
    At the same weight as SilNylon it's more UV resistant doesnt soak up water and has a higher tear strength but it's mostly used as a lighter Fabric

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12