Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Semantical quibble

Skepticism is a badge of honor IMO - it’s a rational process

“Cynicism” is not a rational process - but more of an intentional or unintentional extreme hyperbolic form of skepticism.

IMO - skepticism about kickstarters has been the standard on here for years - including skepticism about Dutch’s Kickstarter

People bemoaning the inevitable expression of said skepticism expressing surprise doth protest too much IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Wow, did this thread take a left turn.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPickl View Post
    Ok Since I've hung with Tall Paul and I've gained so much wisdom from Shugs Videos' I'll give my opinion so far.

Facts - I have the first prototype, which I purchased, and one of the final prototypes which are on loan, until the final product comes in. I'm 6' and 200-lbs. The hammock is 11' by 69". A Fully removable bugnet that has 4 pullout fins on the net. These fins are designed to attach to their Stratos Fly and to help spread out the netting on while loaded. It does open up the interior. The clips also connect successfully to my Hanger 12 and winter tarp corner pullouts. Their new fabric is said to be on par with 1.0 hexon weight wise but withstood a load of 16, 80lb bags of concrete and Richard, the owner jumping on it before it actually broke. I'm accepting this as fact as it was done on a live video and the guys then showed up to camp for a whitewater rafting trip in the NC mountains with myself. It's all we spoke about. Sierra Madre is a trying to cater to a new to hammocks market as their research has shown is their primary audience. The fact that the Ninox has none of the typical hammock fidgeting, no learning how to use a whoppie, no knots, no fidgeting with a CRL for the tarp.

Assumptions - The Tesalon 3 fabric is silky smooth and isn't overly stretchy. Their associated tarp will have enough coverage for a heavy rainstorm.

Likes - Their head and foot pocket cause me for once to not want a pillow under my neck. The lay is flatter than what I've achieved in my Chameleon, a Sparrow, lightyear more comfortable than an XLC. It is not flatter than a Ridgerunner, but I don't get that Pawley's Island if I move I'm going for a spinning ride feeling that I get in bridges. I honestly like their spin on the double ended stuff sack adding space for the straps helps keep everything together and the grommet allows for the hammock to hang safely during setup. I'm able to dial in the ridgeline in while laying in the hammock. Sierra Madre has closed that little hole where the "triangle thingy" meets the continuous loop. This is the first hammock including the above that I've fallen asleep on my side and woke up on my stomach, and that was the first night which is ALWAYS my worst night in a hammock.

Dislikes - If the ridgeline isn't at the right length then there's a terrible calf ridge, but I've experienced that in every hammock I've ever played in. The jury is still out on the strap ridgeline as opposed to lash-it.

OK, I'm over 500 words for this post. I think I'll leave it here but please look for my full review on Gear-report.com once I get the production model come next April.
    Thanks for the write-up. It does sound intriguing and one I’ll look to try at a group hang.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Thanks for the write-up. It does sound intriguing and one I’ll look to try at a group hang.
    Yes, thank you very much! It sounds wonderful, except for this last part: "Dislikes - If the ridgeline isn't at the right length then there's a terrible calf ridge, but I've experienced that in every hammock I've ever played in."

So have I, except for bridges and 90* hammocks. It is my Achilles' heel for most gathered hammocks. So I can only hope that there was a RL adjustment where you were able to get rid of the calf ridge. Disgust with calf ridge- even the tiniest bit of it- is what mostly keeps me in bridges. Although, a nice fat knee pillow will always take care of that.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I was wondering why they went with an adjustable ridgeline for a zippered net. Usually that’s asking for trouble because the hammock shape changes and calls for a different cut of the net. Up to a point, it’s just less efficient, but after sufficient changes, it may damage something. Then I remembered that SMR is a big fan of hambunking and they want to be able to remove the ridgeline to accommodate a hambunk mode.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    So for those of you that have had a prototype - how does one purchase one? I have heard they were asking for them back weren't they?
    Last edited by GilligansWorld; 09-27-2018 at 21:00.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow Symmetrical
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    Just saw this morning that they reached a stretch goal and are now offering a double layer hammock - giving this a second look as I already own one of their underquilts and am impressed the product and the company is easy to deal with
    Dave

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, WBRR,Dutch Argon1.6
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle clips
    Will a Hammock gear underquilt fit the new Ninox ?

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick2world View Post
    Will a Hammock gear underquilt fit the new Ninox ?
    Sure! No reason I can think of why it wouldn't.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I backed this Kickstarter. I have a love/hate relationship with SMR products. The company itself is top notch. Great people, very friendly, and love their mission for getting clean water to folks in developing countries. Their products are very much geared toward new hangers that need all the bells and whistles (even the ones that they don’t know they don’t need/want). I have the Pares hammock. It’s super wide and the fabric is super stretchy which makes it a pain to get out of (considerably more when hooked into the Nube shelter). So why did I back the project. They are trying things in a different way and I commend them on that.i also support them because I knew them when they were what I would consider a cottage vendor. I do have some major reservations (the ridgeline being the major one. But I’m excited about this new hammock to add to my collection that stays outta my wife’s gaze ��

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast