White Cloud long term report

I've been thinking about what has been working well about my favorite top quilts. One very important factor in the overall comfort of the quilt, is a warm and roomy footbox. I am willing to spend extra on that feature when I buy down top quilts. But the White Cloud synthetic quilt really excels in this department. And somehow they are able to actually offer this quilt with a sewn footbox for slightly less cost than the unsewn footbox.

My first synthetic top quilts were the type without sewn footboxes, which can also be fully opened to lie flat. The versatility of this is appealing, but a top quilt with a sewn footbox will likely be less drafty. Also the White Cloud seems roomier than any tapered synthetic quilt that I have used. The bottom of the quilt measures 20" across. And the folded over construction doesn't bunch up the insulation, so it seems a bit more efficient as well. And it is very unrestrictive when I turn from side to side throughout the night.

I bought the White Cloud shortly after it became available from AHE. For me it has been used as my front country quilt. I also used it on the Lost Coast, where it performed great in the blowing fog.

I really haven't read much online documentation about this quilt, so I wanted to share my experiences. I notice that this quilt is on sale right now, including the new Winter model. So it may be a good time to check it out, if you are in the market for a synthetic TQ.

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    AHE TQ / KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Beetles / Straps
    Thanks for the long term White Cloud report. I just purchased a 4 season White Cloud. I have several down TQs and this will be my first synthetic. Almost all my UQs are from AHE, so the White Cloud will be right at home...

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Hey Double, Thanks for the report on the White Cloud. Glad that it has been working well for you.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Hey Double, Thanks for the report on the White Cloud. Glad that it has been working well for you.
    Thanks for offing it, Paul! I am glad that I bought it

I really see this as an innovation in the arena of synthetic quilt making. Very original. That is why I am surprised that I haven't seen more reviews about it. The foot pouch comes up a little higher in back than most quilt foot boxes. But it is easier to get my feet in and out of it over the elastic opening, and it is not at all drafty. The footbox has no snaps to get pulled out, and no zipper to fuss with.

On an aesthetic level, I appreciate the streamlined simplicity. I am glad to see that the color choices are growing in the AHE line of quilts! I am also a fan of "Made in Idaho"!

Images
    This is the 2nd long term rave very positive review of AHE TQs recently. Have you ever had a chance to test it near it's temp rating?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    This is the 2nd long term rave very positive review of AHE TQs recently. Have you ever had a chance to test it near it's temp rating?
    Hi BillyBob,

I have used this TQ close to 40 nights. The lowest temps encountered were in the upper 40s with pretty strong wind on the Lost Coast. I didn't mention it, but this is the 1 Season White Cloud. It has the 3.6 ounce Apex with comfort range in the 40's. So I was pleasantly surprised at how little the wind seemed to impact the warmth. I was plenty warm and comfortable with just a basic synthetic base layer, and insulated hood for my head. So to answer question, I have not gone below the suggested comfort level for this quilts rating.

I also have the 1 Season RidgeCreek from AHE, which I have used well over 100 nights. I have taken it down into the 40's quite a few times. Somewhere in the mid 40's is when I start to feel the need to add extra clothes to stay toasty warm. For me, a light pair of fleece gloves and warmer socks will keep me in the cozy zone. I find, now that I am getting older, that I like a bit extra insulation compared to my younger years (or even compared to just a few years ago). Even so, I think the rating on the RidgeCreek, is pretty much spot on for me. And the rating on the White Cloud a little bit conservative.

That being said, I feel like I could take these quilts quite a bit lower, if I were wearing more of my clothes to bed. However, I don't like to do that as a general practice, because the added clothing layers diminish my comfort and freedom of motion while in the hammock. But I keep those insulating clothing layers close by, in case things get colder than expected. I also own multiple quilts so I choose one based on the weather forecast, rather than trying to push the envelope of what is possible with my 1 Season AHE quilts. I will mention that the loft of these APEx quilts has remained very good!

Edited to ask: BTW where is that other review of the White Cloud quilt, could you post the link? I don't believe that I have seen it. Thanks
    Last edited by dblhmmck; 09-20-2018 at 12:29.

Images
    Just one season quilts? Wow! That's quite the testimony. And it totally makes sense that with the same weight of insulation you would find the top quilt a little bit warmer than the under quilt. Don't most of us seem to need a little bit more on the bottom then on the top, with a hammock? Plus, it seems to me that not uncommonly the under quilt takes a bigger hit from any breezes that might slip past our tarps. But still, excellent results!

You said" Somewhere in the mid 40's is when I start to feel the need to add extra clothes to stay toasty warm. For me, a light pair of fleece gloves and warmer socks will keep me in the cozy zone.". So it sounds like you're back was not necessarily cool in the RC in the mid 40s? But, either way, sounds like sort of hard to beat for any under quilt weighing less than an pound even in full-length. Especially for a synthetic that weighs that little. This is obviously high-quality stuff.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-20-2018 at 14:30.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    Edited to ask: BTW where is that other review of the White Cloud quilt, could you post the link? I don't believe that I have seen it. Thanks
    Sorry, it was not the WC, but the Owyhee. But very similar:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...46#post1917846

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Sorry, it was not the WC, but the Owyhee. But very similar:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...46#post1917846
    Thanks for the link. Yes very similar with the same insulation options. I had not read the report in your link, so thanks for posting it!

The report covers a much longer time period than mine does. The biggest take away for me, is that the belief that synthetic insulation degrades in one or two seasons, may no longer be true across the board. Climashied seems to hold up very well when used in quilts. I mentioned above that my quilts seem to have retained very good loft, I can't tell any difference from the loft of two years ago. I won't need to replace these synthetic quilts any time soon

• + New Posts