Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Cutting Ridgeline?

Id like to experiment with different lengths of my WB XL ridgeline but dont want to cut the original one. Any clever ideas out there? Thanx, Bill

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    To shorten it wrap it around a small biner a few times.
    Lengthen......might have to make/add a new one. Make sure your bugnet does not get stressed.
    Shug
    Shug's Swag.... teespring.com/stores/shugs-swag-shop

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

My YouTube Videos

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Replace the existing RL with an adjustable one. Itís not hard to do. There is a YouTube video around on changing the RL on a Blackbird. I imagine the XLC ends are similar. Making an adjustable RL is no hard either but requires some tools. Lots of videos on splicing around as well. Keep in mind as Shug mentioned, you canít go much longer due to the bugnet.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Winter Wooki
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Don't. Unless you do it without the net or top cover. With most integrated hammocks, the ridgeline is not only for keeping a consistent sag, but more importantly to keep the net / top cover from being stressed too much. Mesh and fabric are elastic, so you usually get away with small changes. But there comes the point when the stress gets too much. That's why I would not touch it.

If you want to experiment, detach the net / top cover to be on the safe side. You can easily remove the original ridgeline and replace it with an adjustable ridgeline. The ridgeline runs through the whipping and is larksheaded onto the suspension. Simply detach it from the suspension and pull it through the whipping.

For what it's worth: I did experiment with ridgeline lengths for a couple of months when I started hammock camping. Fortunately, I didn't damage my WBBB. But I eventually found that the original length was perfect - I only needed to learn to hang the BB correctly. Nowadays, I set the ridgelines of my DIY hammocks to the same ratio as the Warbonnet hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Winter Wooki
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I should add that it's not only a problem to lengthen the ridgeline but also to shorten it. The net has a certain length and width. If you lengthen the ridgeline, the net is shorter than it would need to be. If you shorten the ridgeline, the net becomes too narrow. It can rip in both places.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I first experimented with adding an 8 inch CL to the end of the WBBB XLC and DH Sparrow and then adjusting using wraps around a carabiner. When I became confident this was the fix I needed I changed it out for an adjustable whoopie type SRL. The top cover and bug net still work on the WBBB XLC. The top cover and bugnet no longer work on the DH Sparrow, but for me comfort is far more important. Especially since the Sparrow isn't my primary backpack hammock, the Hammocktent Gamma is. Plus, one of these days I probably will approach the Smurfs about a custom top cover and bugnet. I will retain the original SRL, top covers, and bugnets for resale should the need/desire arise.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Images
    Many years ago, I experimented with different ridgeline lengths for my Blackbird. Finally, after many jumps in & out of the hammock, found the perfect lay. Measured it against the original ridgeline and..... You guessed it... It was the same! LOL

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    BB XL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thx for the replies. Now Im sceered to do anything lol

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Winter Wooki
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    Now Im sceered to do anything lol
    What you can do is, leave the original ridgeline as is, but add an adjustable ridgeline outside the net. Just larkshead it onto the suspension, above the original ridgeline. This way you can experiment with a shorter ridgeline, but won't be stressing the net, because it won't be pulled up by the shorter ridgeline. And the original ridgeline will prevent you from accidentally setting the adjustable ridgeline longer.

Hammock
    DH Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If you want to play around with adjustable ridgelines for hammocks, heed the advice above and instead buy a netless or remove the net. Restore it to itís original length before adding the net back. The best kind of adjustable ridgeline to get is a 7/64Ē amsteel UCR. The ones that are made like whoopie slings will work, but UCRís are better suited for this task for a few reasons. If you really end up liking the adjustability, you should probably get a fronkey style bug net because it is much more adaptable.