View Poll Results: How do you feel about going solo?

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never tried it...

24 12.97%
  • Tried it but it's not for me..

6 3.24%
  • I am solo about 50% of the time or more..

71 38.38%
  • I am solo almost all the time..

84 45.41%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Wow - who'd a thunk that many people hammock solo. I wonder if, with a tent, you often share the load; one person has tent and ground cloth, the other has stakes/poles/rainfly. But my main experience is, you may be solo but that doesn't mean you are alone. Try climbing Mt. Hood "solo" one weekend. Or kayaking around the San Juan Islands, taking any published hiking trail. You will not be "alone". Of course you can go places where you will be alone, buy my point is, going solo doesn't necessarily mean "alone".

The only time I really learn stuff - what works, what doesn't, what I forgot that I should have brought, what I should have left at home, etc. is when I go out solo. When I'm with someone, I'm responsible for their safety and well being. If their comfort bar is higher than mine, I need to dial back on "primitive". But alone, I can forget stuff and suffer; with suffering comes learning (I won't forget that again, etc.).

With all that - when I do go out alone, especially when kayaking, I carry a SPOT signaling device. I press Check-in/Okay overnight at a campsite so those back home know where I am - right where I am. When on the water, I have real time tracking turned on so they can see my route over water.

I've read too many stories of "trouble" because there wasn't a way to let someone know where the outdoors person was. But I don't "let my guard down". There can be an assumption that if you get into trouble you will have your signaling device accessible. I used to feel competent because I carried spare batteries in a dry bag. But then the GPS ran out while I was on the water and the dry bag was up in the bow of the kayak. Now I carry spare batteries on me.

So I'm an advocate of "solo" as an opportunity to try new things and learn some lessons. But given that, there are times to put the lesson learning aside and share the scene/experience with another human (lessons to be learned there as well).

Tarp
    Don’t have one yet
    I go solo every time. Part of that is since I’m still working on getting into good hiking shape I don’t want to slow anyone down. But I also prefer to be alone when I hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Solo Hammocking... Is it for you?

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    When I first started hammock camping about eight years ago, I almost always hiked solo. I didn't know many campers, and I certainly didn't know which ones were fair-weather campers. I personally love all kinds of weather, and would never dream of cancelling a trip because it was going to rain or snow.

You quickly find out who the fair-weather campers are. I have one friend I refuse to go hiking or camping with anymore because I know he'll cancel if there's a 20% chance of precipitation. He wonders why I won't go hiking or camping with him anymore. Backing out of trips is just second nature to him.

I once went on a hike with a couple of people and the forecast was 0% chance of rain. Well, it rained, a lot, and they turned around and went home after just a quarter-mile of hiking. So now I know they're fair-weather campers - I won't be planning any trips with them.

Nevertheless, I now know a bunch of people who are not fair-weather campers. I rarely go solo because I know the people who go out in all kinds of weather. Almost every one of them have never cancelled a trip because of weather. My kind of folks!
    There’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes! This is the topic of a book I recently found. It talks about how people in certain parts of the world – notably Scandinavia – realize that bad weather is a bad excuse to stay inside. I agree.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the...27603503?mt=11
    https://www.audible.com/pd/Theres-No...ook/B074WCFTPP

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Solo Hammocking... Is it for you?

Oops. Accidental double post. Was meaning to edit.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    DF Palace Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I know I'm the odd one out here, but i always feel like solo trips aren't as fun for me. I enjoy sharing the experience with somebody else.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I like the solo experience due to no pressure of time restraints or schedule.
    But, I miss the comaraderie of friends around the campfire. Sunsets come early in New England and I don't bother with a fire when solo. Therefore, I lay in my hammock for like 12 hours, but don't need that much sleep. With no internet /cell connection where I hike, a lot of reading gets done.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    I have never gone hammocking with anybody else, or any other type of wilderness trip actually.. I really enjoy doing it on my own, but would also like to try going with someone else or a group - I just dont know anybody who likes sleeping in the woods

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Off track remote solo adventures.

Challenging route finding...the less info i can find on the internet about a certain place the more i like it...No distractions as I walk...see/hear more animals/birds on my own...take note of lay of land as i go...can fluff around getting that photo angle before moving on...stop & jot down notes as I think of them. Notice more little things like insects, flowering scents from trees & plants...route change as I please...eye is always on the horizon for inclement weather...element of risk & danger...watching the beautiful colourful sunset or sunrise from the top of a windy mountain makes me happy on the inside.

All that goes out the window on a family walk with my wife & 5yo. It's all about them enjoying the walk. Short with a punchline...usually to a beautiful waterfall, scenic mountain lookout or cave or overhang with a picnic area or small village/town nearby for a cafe meal afterwards...stops on the way home at local points of interest.
    Last edited by ofuros; 09-23-2018 at 16:09.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    Onewind 11ft zippered
    Tarp
    TW Sargasso
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I prefer company but still enjoy solos.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Solo...? Thats now the only way I get out to hike and camp. Helped with group hangs in Florida many years ago. Its what got me into Hammock camping. Then fairly quickly discovered I enjoy the Solo hanging and camping much more.
    Moved to the mountains now, never looked back. Solo is incredible once you & your gear are dialed into your preferences.

-Islander

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast