Rope at local stores

I am as new to this thing as one can get- I don't even own a hammock! But am soon to need two. I plan on buying one and making one. The one I will make is for my son who weighs under 50lbs. I would like him to be able to use it when he gets older.

I have looked through many of the threads on making a hammock. The one question (currently) I don't see an answer for is this: Are there any ropes that one could buy at a local hardware store or big box store that would be appopriate for a ridgeline and to be used to attach webbing to at the ends of the hammock (not sure the technical name for these, would likely be a larks head knot)?

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    First, you can larkshead your webbing straight to the hammock ends. That'll save you some line.

As far as a ridgeline goes - almost anything will work. I know some people even use Mason's line. The ridgeline is not supposed to be supporting much weight at all, it's just there to help you set the sag of the hammock - so any lightweight polypropylene, polyester, even nylon will do fine.

If you have a outdoorsy store nearby, try 2.75mm accessory cord for a ridgeline. Also, if you did want to use line to larkshead the end of the hammock and tie webbing to (so long as it's very short) - you can use 6mm accessory cord as well. Any backpacking type store should carry accessory cord by the foot.

Also - do not use nylon as your suspension webbing - it stretches horribly.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Welcome.
    As said most anything will do.
    Avoid nylon
    Hollow core polyester braid is good and cheap and available in most big box stores. Check in the marine/boat dept. You can even practice making whoopie slings with it. 5/16th will hold you.
    Paracord is another option for a ridgeline. Heck, lots of folks used it for suspensions.
    Wally's has a bunch of bright colored cord and rope that will work. Stay away from cotton ropes as well.
    Happy Hanging and welcome again, enjoy.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Marmot Trestles 15
    Suspension
    DIY w/ Dutch clip
    i use masons line for a lot of things on my rig, it's cheap and bright in color, so far i'm using it for a ridgeline, support for holding my UnderQuilt under my hammock, and tiedowns for my tarp, but as i said it's great stuff.

• + New Posts