Ticket To The Moon
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Quilt
    Suspension
    Hammock Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
    So from the above actual experience, it would seem that 10 mm (habotai) silk would work fine for folks up to 180 pounds. The accounts above don't mention design type, but maybe we can assume single-layer? The hemp/silk blend sounds like a good alternative for an indoor hammock. For hiking, silk will probably be lighter.
    I wonder if it would be safe to extrapolate from that, that a heavier person say (around 225lbs) would be safe using using their 19.5mm Charmeuse/Silk Crepe Satin to make a hammock ?!? When I have splurge money again, I may have to buy a bunch to play with for this and other projects.

Surprised to come back to an overwhelming amount of information. So from what you all are saying I've gathered that silk would be the best indoor fabric feel and comfort wise? Deciding between 70" 10 mm habotai silk, 70" hexon 1.6 from Dutch, and kits from RSBTR which XL fabric options are Robic 1.0, 1.2, 1.7, Hex70 2.2, & hyperd 1.6. Thanks everyone for your input!

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I honestly still like Cotton for an indoor hammock. with the volume they get used, I want something I can toss in the washing machine

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Just tossing it out but I like my 90"X132" crinkle taffeta tablecloth hammock indoors. I may actually trim it down a little narrower just to get rid of the floppy sides, but it feels great otherwise. The hand feel is marvelous.

That said I've seen some chatter that the tablecloth blanks aren't as high quality as they used to be so buyer beware.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    I honestly still like Cotton for an indoor hammock. with the volume they get used, I want something I can toss in the washing machine
    Do you have a recommendation for around $70? I bought a Brazilian double off of amazon and I feel it's too skinny and the fabric is similar to that of a burlap sack. Also, what are your thoughts on silk?

How do you feel its held up over time? That sounds like it would be a good option if I can find quality fabric. Less susceptible to rips as well.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by hammocksarecoolbro View Post
    Do you have a recommendation for around $70? I bought a Brazilian double off of amazon and I feel it's too skinny and the fabric is similar to that of a burlap sack. Also, what are your thoughts on silk?
    I've got a vivere brazilian (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00AXN3HG8/...ing=UTF8&psc=1)

it's denim-ish which I find really comfortable, but as in all things, ymmv, personal preference and all that

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    The Dharma silk habutai is luxurious! 70" wide x 4 yd (=12 ft) will make a fine hammock for about $70 + shipping. Expect it to shrink about 5% when first laundered. The gift hammock I made from it shrank to about 66" wide x 11 ft long. That's the same width as the "double" size Brazilian-style hammocks on Amazon, which also will shrink when washed and IMO feel a little rough, not as comfortable as silk or higher thread-count cotton. Some day I'll "gift" myself with a silk one. I'm not a fan of outdoor hammock fabrics for indoors every-night, but I recognize that bigger folks may need the added strength.

My usual every-night indoor hammocks are made from smooth, closely woven "commercial grade" 90x156 all-cotton tablecloths, about $31 + shipping from https://www.tableclothsfactory.com , with ends folded and whipped Hennessy-style (member wilsonbmw posted a pictorial how-to some years ago). All edges came pre-hemmed, so no sewing needed unless you want end channels. Mine shrank to about 85x146 (~12 ft) when first laundered, which made it a little more dense but still soft. I've considered cutting the width down to 70" but just never got to it. I've been using two in rotation for almost 4 years, laundered frequently just like bed sheets. Both are still in great condition. Strong enough for my 220 lb brother, so I made him one, too. They won't last forever, so I've just ordered more for reserves and gift hammocks. I'll know in a week or so if they're still the same high quality as before.

I also have a Brazilian-style Vivere double (66" wide) and a La Siesta Carolinas. I find the Carolinas to be more attractive and superior quality over the Vivere. Still, for every night sleeping I still prefer the smooth weave of my cotton tablecloth hammocks.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I hang full time. Yesterday I took down the hammock I was using so that I could do some mod work on a Hammocktent 90*. Since I had an evening commitment I failed to re-set up a hammock and UQ for the night. Consequently I slept on an inflatable insulated pad on the floor. This morning I felt how regrettable that decision was ;-(

Most the time I sleep in a HT of what ever fabric they are made of. I discontinued using the gamma UL model in favor of the regular HT gamma because I did't want to potentially compromise the longevity of my favorite light weight camping hammock. I also have a couple of WBBB XLC made of the 1.7 fabric that works fine. I previously owned a DH SL Raven of the Hex70 2.2. However, when I was confident hanging was a long term commitment I decided to go with a DL of the Hex70 2.2 (a DH Sparrow) specifically because I wanted it to last through use and abuse. It isn't intended to be my backpacking hammock as I have others better suited for fulfilling that function.

Also, I went with as wide as I could get the Hex70 2.2 hammock fabric, but as I have used the hammock over considerable time I have come to believe that it really could have been less wide and been perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by WhollyHamaca View Post
    The Dharma silk habutai is luxurious! 70" wide x 4 yd (=12 ft) will make a fine hammock for about $70 + shipping. Expect it to shrink about 5% when first laundered. The gift hammock I made from it shrank to about 66" wide x 11 ft long. That's the same width as the "double" size Brazilian-style hammocks on Amazon, which also will shrink when washed and IMO feel a little rough, not as comfortable as silk or higher thread-count cotton. Some day I'll "gift" myself with a silk one. I'm not a fan of outdoor hammock fabrics for indoors every-night, but I recognize that bigger folks may need the added strength.

My usual every-night indoor hammocks are made from smooth, closely woven "commercial grade" 90x156 all-cotton tablecloths, about $31 + shipping from https://www.tableclothsfactory.com , with ends folded and whipped Hennessy-style (member wilsonbmw posted a pictorial how-to some years ago). All edges came pre-hemmed, so no sewing needed unless you want end channels. Mine shrank to about 85x146 (~12 ft) when first laundered, which made it a little more dense but still soft. I've considered cutting the width down to 70" but just never got to it. I've been using two in rotation for almost 4 years, laundered frequently just like bed sheets. Both are still in great condition. Strong enough for my 220 lb brother, so I made him one, too. They won't last forever, so I've just ordered more for reserves and gift hammocks. I'll know in a week or so if they're still the same high quality as before.

I also have a Brazilian-style Vivere double (66" wide) and a La Siesta Carolinas. I find the Carolinas to be more attractive and superior quality over the Vivere. Still, for every night sleeping I still prefer the smooth weave of my cotton tablecloth hammocks.
    I think I may go with a tablecloth as I probably will need something I can wash. The one you recommended is the "90x156" Rectangle Chambury Casa 100% Cotton Tablecloth For Wedding Party Decoration" correct? I'm hoping the quality is still solid. Im debating now between that or a hyperd kit from RSBTR.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast