Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well, I'll say, do not take the dire warnings of some people posting as the only ones who knows what they are doing in the woods. I have camped and backpacked for over 40 years now there are many good inexpensive options in tarps. I have owned several including the Chill Gorilla and it is a fine tarp for what you are looking for. An even better one is the ProVenture. It is very similar to the Chill Gorilla Hex Tarp at only 2/3's the cost. The materials, cut and finish are the same. However the ProVenture retails for $29.95 on Amazon instead of $45.00. Here is my review of the Tarp with weights and dimensions. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...x-Hammock-Tarp

ProVenture Tarp Amazon link:https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Venture-W.../dp/B07C28FL18

As for performance, I have used the ProVenture for a year now and I am very happy with it. I have had it in Sleet, Freezing Rain, a 24 hour 4"-5" deluge of Tropical Storm Gordon, and the remains of Florence that hit Ohio last weekend. Anyway, that is my experience and recommendation for what you are looking for.

If you are patient then yes, Vipon may offer nice discounts. Issue is since Amazon really clamped down on "bought" reviews the super deep discounts one seen are very few and far between. But they do pop up every once in a while.

Like Appanoose, I'm a big proponent of the heavy duty tarps from a big box store (usually silver or brown instead of the blue). They are heavy and overbuilt, but also pretty bombproof. You can get a 10x12 for < $20, and after you upgrade, this one works great as an additional shelter for the kitchen, hanging out, the wood pile or anything else when car camping. I like them because they are not pretending to be anything they are not. If you wanted to get really crazy, you can even fold the heavy duty tarp up to use as your backpack, but that makes it ridiculously inconvenient to set up and take down camp.

Im with Alpha and Appa, Embrace dirtbaggishness.

For over a year and a half, I used a blue 10 X 12 Poly Tarp with grommets. If you look, you can find some that are significantly lighter than others.

If you have a grommet blow out, you can either replace it with a cheap replacement grommet kit or you can use a smooth rock, a clove hitch and some guy line to make a new tie out. Lastly, if you desire, you can mod the poly tarp, with duct tape and create 4 side pullouts, with cheap plastic "D" rings.

My poly tarp is till going strong after about 20 - 30 nights out. It cost about 14.00 and as mentioned, it can be used in many other ways around camp, if you decide at a later time to upgrade.

Full disclosure. I saved up for that year and half and recently got a Hammock Gear, The Journey Tarp 12 foot model. It is a decadent luxury.

Have fun.