WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

VA and NC trip with the wife! Help, please!

My wife and I are planning a trip along Shenandoah, for our 1st anniversary, with the intent of going as far south as Asheville and up Mt. Mitchell. Her hiking ability is somewhere between beginner and intermediate. I am hoping you have some suggestions. The duration of our trip will begin Saturday and we have one week.

Our first planned stop is Luray Caverns, then possibly take Skyline drive down and check some stuff out and camp that night. Then I’d like to summit a mountain with a trail head starting along Skyline -something that is not too tough for her, but rewarding at the top. Then stay somewhere in a hotel that night. After that is really up in the air as we make our way to Mt. Mitchell.

Any suggestions will be welcomed!

Have you done Mt. Mitchell? We are under the impression that you can drive pretty high up then take a trail head from the parking lot which is good for her. Any insight?

Thank you!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Not hiking related, but I would highly recommend Sunburst Trout Market in Asheville. Their prepackaged smoked trout even beats out the freshly smoked salmon at my local artisan restaurant. Prepackaged salmon at grocery stores can't even be compared with Sunburst. I wish I had purchased more than one for my return drive to Texas.

Have fun!

You can walk on a paved path to Mount Mitchell. Five year olds in flip flops do it, so I think it shouldn't be a problem.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images

Cool

Good Morning: If I only had a week's vaca to hit the high points of the AT trail starting in Luray, I'd probably just camp at sites along the AT, and day hike from the best points of interest, especially given that your wife is between beginner and intermediate. Play it safe, especially if the weather forecast looks dicey. This way you have bail options if bad weather rolls in, and you have vehicle sag support for food, water, shopping in the cute quaint towns along the way from Luray NC to Ashville NC. Since you are starting in Luray VA, You would be most pleased with Old Rag Mountain and the White Oak Canyon Trail near Old Rag. Next stop perhaps drive to famous Grayson Highland Park, spend some time dayhiking there, and then motor to Ashville NC to spend some quality time in that part of the AT. This way you can cover the most ground, and still have your vehicle near by, unless you want to do the Thruhiker thing!!! YMMV. Enjoy this epic trip. One more thing, do a map recon with Google Earth to spot things you wouldn't have thought of, and use alltrails.com to get more trail info about some of these trails. there is a wealth of info there.
    Last edited by Tyroler Holzhacker; 10-01-2018 at 08:38.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I live in the Shenandoah area and offer these ideas for the start of your trip:
    Luray caverns are great - not as crowded during the week and a nice place to visit if you have a bad weather day.
    Shenandoah NP/Skyline drive (ask for a hiking map when you go in):
    Big Meadow campground at about the 52 mile mark of the Skyline drive might be a good option. Primitive camping with bear vaults to lock you stuff up in, walking distance (South on the AT) to a decent reasonable restaurant at the lodge or a sandwich shop at the entrance to the campground, and close to ideal trails including Big Meadow, White Oaks Canyon/Old Rag (weekday hike due to heavy weekend use), Stoney Man Mt, Dark Hollow just to name a few. Limberlost is a nice very easy trail too.

Also, upon entering the park, there is a old closed down restaurant about 100 yards South of the rt 211 entrance (the Luray road). Park there and hike the Mary's Rock trail. This is a great introduction to the park and right on your way.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Sounds like a fun trip! If you make it as far as Asheville, you'll likely take the BRP towards Mitchell. I'd stop at Craggy Gardens and hike to the pinnacle which is ~1.4 miles roundtrip and offers exceptional views if the day is clear or the pinnacle is above the cloud cover. Summiting Mitchell is as easy as parking in the lot and walking a few hundred yards to the top, maybe grab a snack from the snack bar there. If you're feeling spry you could take the Black Mountain Crest Trail to Mt. Craig which is a moderate 2 miles roundtrip from the same parking lot. It bags you a second sixer and beautiful views. I wouldn't go much past Mt. Craig as the BMCT isn't the friendliest, but you can get more sixers just by hiking it if that's your thing.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    Images
    It is a short drive to Max Patch from A'ville and a must do if you are in the area. The hike in is very easy.

Linville Gorge - moderate hike down to the falls
    Grayson Highlands is 2.5 hours from A'ville - moderate hike up to The Scales or Wilburn Ridge
    If you take I-26 from A'ville towards Johnson City, there are lots of beautiful water falls in the Nolichucky/Erwin area..http://www.unclejohnnys.net/waterfalls.html

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Thank you very much everyone! Great ideas and we really appreciate it.

Sunburst Trout Market, you have my attention! I will be there. I love that -ever since fly fishing for steelhead in Eerie and had smoked trout....MMmMmMmM

I’ve done the old rag and white oak canyon hikes, they are gorgeous and I think that is certainly a place I’d like to take her. Not sure if she could handle old rag, but certainly white oak.

Glad to hear a few suggesting Big Meadow Campground, it seems to be in a great location for us.

I would love to check out Linville Gorge. I certainly blame Shug. Looks gorgeous that’s for sure. I guess ther Erwin View Trail down to the Falls looks to be the best (or only) option.

Again, thank you all!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Remember that Old Rag does have a back way to hike up it that's mostly a fire road and avoids the rock scramble, if you're not sure she can handle that.

Look into Sharp Top mountain at Peaks of Otter, it's a fairly tough hike but there's a shuttle that runs people up pretty close to the top (maybe 500 yards from the top? can't remember offhand) and it offers a decent view

As others have suggested, Grayson Highlands is hard to beat....I'd suggest the Twin Pinnacles trail behind the Visitor Center, some of the best views in the park are from the top of Little Pinnacle. Also taking the AT Spur trail up to the AT then south to Wilburn Ridge/Rhododendron Gap, another gorgeous view (plus a good chance at running across some wild ponies)

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    What are your dates? There is a group hanging at the second campsite south of Wiseman's View from Oct 19 through Oct 29th. Common down!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast