Alaska 2010 Expedition

DATES; July 2nd through July 10th
    Arrive in Anchorage July 2nd no later than 3 PM if possible so you have time to get to the local REI for supplies such as Gaz and Bear spray. I'll be picking you up in a Rental at the Airport.
    Your reservation dates for the Backpacker Hostel are, July 2nd, 8th,9th,10th.
    Days out in the bush are, July 3rd, 4th,5th,6th,7th,8th. We will return to Anchorage on the 8th, giving us 5 nights out with 5 days ration of foods.

Costs involved are,
    (a) Vehicle Rental

(b) Satellite Phone. We need to have contact with our Bush Pilot, Emergencies, this is very important. You will also be able to call home with 10 minutes air time.

(c) Lodging at the Backpackers Hostel for 4 nights, Rooms to accommodate 2.

(d) Bush Pilot FEES out and back

(e) Gaz for the vehicle rental.

Rental vehicle needed to shuttle us around Town and the Airport and carry us to a landing strip near the park. Satellite phone needed to give detailed weather report to our Bush Pilot when he picks us up and Emergencies. You will also have Airtime to call HOME. This is the only way to communicate in real time with the outside world. Hostel Lodging for 4 nights, rooms will accommodate 2 people. Bush Pilot fees for a professional BUSH PILOT well known to the area. (Round trip.) Vehicle Gaz, Gasoline is much more expensive in Alaska and so we will have plenty of Gaz to accommodate each with a ride from and too the Airport as well as day shopping for supplies in Anchorage and our round trip travel along the Alaska Hwy #1 to meet up with our Bush Pilot.
    I make no money at this and all I want to do is get a solid team and go backpacking ALASKA. This will be my 3rd consecutive year.

E mail me for specific info on cost and logistics. [email protected]

Alaska's Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve is at the top of more than one list of superlatives. It is the largest U.S. national park, which, when combined with other nearby parks (Kluane National Park, Glacier Bay National Park, and Canada's Tatshenshini-Alsek Park) is the biggest part of the largest internationally protected area in the world (24 million acres) and has been recognized as a World Heritage Site. Nine of the 16 highest peaks in the United States, and some of the largest mountains (by volume) in the world, are located here. The largest concentration of Dall sheep in North America live here.
    The prime time of year for visiting Wrangell-St. Elias is from June 20 to August 20, but don't think that there won't be any backcountry hardship. Wrangell-St. Elias is a mountain wilderness unlike any other. It is almost entirely roadless, there are no maintained trails in the park, and access is only by unpaved road, boat, or plane. Backcountry adventurers run the risks of hypothermia, bear encounters, dangerous river crossings.

Wrangell- St. Elias NP
    Land on a Mesa with stunning views of Mt Jarvis, Mt Gordon, Mt Wrangell and Mt Zanetti and Hike down off the Mesa to Grizzly Lake. Total Mileage approx. 6-8 miles per day.

I have much information to pass along if your serious about taking this trip of a lifetime in 2010. Cost, Gear, Food, Obstacles, any question you may have about this trip just shoot me an e mail.

Mike
    AKA, Refrigerator / Fridge
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Refrigerator; 03-01-2010 at 18:07.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    "Hike off the Mesa to Grizzly Lake",, LOL,, i feel better already. All kidding aside sounds like a great opportunity for those who can do it.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    I'd love to, but I'll be taking classes in July.
    Not the guy to ask for Directions.

• + New Posts