Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goatman View Post
    isn't that the same stuff as the Neat Sheet material which I just bought thinking I'd make an SPE with it ...sounds like it might work for the weather shield as well?
    The Neat Sheet material is very close to the material that the Frogg Toggs are made of. It would probably work great as a weather shield. In fact I have been thing about making one from the Neet Sheet I have at home.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Goatstock?!? That is so cool. I had not idea there were so many pack goat hikers (you are the first I'd heard of). Sounds like you go all your bases covered insulation wise. I wouldn't be surprised if your setup generates quit a bit of interest. Have fun, I look forward to hearing about your trip when you get back.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Just curious, do the goats have a tendency to chew on your set-up? I'd think all the salts would get their attention and they'd start nibbling on the bottom when they get bored. Do goats get bored? How much food do you actually pack for them? I have a lot of questions , but goat-hiking does sound kind of neat.

GoatStock! You know somebody's going to call the cops and say there are a bunch of devil worshipers camping in the hills with all their goats. The world is full of loonies!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Just curious, do the goats have a tendency to chew on your set-up? I'd think all the salts would get their attention and they'd start nibbling on the bottom when they get bored. Do goats get bored? How much food do you actually pack for them? I have a lot of questions , but goat-hiking does sound kind of neat.
    It looks like all your questions are answered if you dig around the website that goatman linked above. They're an organized bunch, clearly.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    If you get too cold underneath, you could have a goat or two lay under your hammock. Wala......goat underquilt.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Be interesting to see how 1-3 of these 1/8 pads would work between a underquilt and a weathershield and how far it could extend the temp range: http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...68.209.169.187
    Wow, that is a great idea! so thin! One of the biggest head scratches of my experimentation thus far has been finding a lightweight product that won't compress the loft of the nest and can match the contours of the weathershield without creating air gaps or putting too much weight on the suspension system.

I've definitely learned my lesson with the garbage bags. Not a good idea. Can't have a vapor barrier layer sandwiched between the middle of an insulation system. It creates condensation on the warm side, every time. Course I just had to learn this the hard way .

Those gossamer gear pads now, that could really be worth trying. You could
    make a reg pad with wing extentions (like so many people do), but shape them in a way so that they follow the contour of the weathershield. Of course stacking pads will make them stiffer overall. But I wonder....

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    Wow, that is a great idea! so thin! One of the biggest head scratches of my experimentation thus far has been finding a lightweight product that won't compress the loft of the nest and can match the contours of the weathershield without creating air gaps or putting too much weight on the suspension system.

I've definitely learned my lesson with the garbage bags. Not a good idea. Can't have a vapor barrier layer sandwiched between the middle of an insulation system. It creates condensation on the warm side, every time. Course I just had to learn this the hard way .

Those gossamer gear pads now, that could really be worth trying. You could
    make a reg pad with wing extentions (like so many people do), but shape them in a way so that they follow the contour of the weathershield. Of course stacking pads will make them stiffer overall. But I wonder....

I threw that question out there to see what others thought about it but I actually have 1 of the 1/8 pads and have tried it between the quilt and weathershield. It did'nt compress the weathershield as far as I could tell. It was hard to tell how well it helped. Would be a good idea to have another hanger outside the hammock while you layed in it. They could then add up to 3 or so 1/8 pads and see how it worked. Adjusting the pads if neccessary. Checking for air gaps. Of course the weather would have to be very cold. I believe something will be invented/made in the very near future that will allow you to hang without pads down to zero degrees or so.
    A super duper underquilt maybe?
    Maybe use 3 underquilts....that would be way bulky.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 07-17-2007 at 16:28.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Hyperlite & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, CCF & BA
    Images

Back from GoatStock ...Nest was GREAT!

Whew, had an awesome time! We car-camp and day hiked w/goats and attended workshops etc. Weather was sunny and warm when it wasn't raining! Sure glad I hung the HH w/Nest under my 12x12 Kelty. I was warm and dry the whole time! Slept like a log (hmm, logs lie on the ground?! ...more like a bird all warm in a nest) the entire time albeit the temp never dropped below mid 40Fs! So didn't really get to stress test the Nest with other CCF pad etc..

But I never experienced any cold spots! I used a my 30F generic bag as a top quilt and light weight fleece underwear top and bottoms which kept me toasty. Also severed as protection when I had to jump out for my nightly p-break or to check on mischievous goat.

I've different small bells on my goats so I can tell who's who just by the sound. If I hear the someone banging around my gear I can easily tell who the guilty party is. It's also made me neater camper as I now put stuff out of night creatures reach! Generally my goat do not mess w/my stuff they know the word "NO" is followed with a squirt in the face from my squirt gun filled w/ammonia-water solution. If I do catch them chewing on anything it gets nipped in the bud FAST!! I did get woke with a goat nose poking over the bug netting early one AM. Guess he was saying it's time for breakfast as it was daylight!

The last night it rain so hard we all were worried about the roads washing out and being stuck up there for days (gee that might be a hardship for some? grin). But the roads were ok except for a giant VW-sized bolder that slipped off the cliff and slid itself smack middle into the road blocking our escape! When I stopped behind the line of trucks and goat trailers I cleverly noticed 2 good hanging trees just on the edge of the cliff if it had turned into an overnighter. (I love my H-camping!) But we all pitched in and built a road around the bolder on the uphill side of course as the drop off was nasty with at least 1000' to stream below. Here's a few pics sorry it's mostly goats and hardly none of my hammock?

Thanks again for Nest advice and info etc, later GM

Hammock
    Hyperlite & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, CCF & BA
    Images

No devil worshipers...

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    GoatStock! You know somebody's going to call the cops and say there are a bunch of devil worshipers camping in the hills with all their goats. The world is full of loonies!
    No devil worshipers! or goat BBQs

...just a few she devils that emerge around the campfire after a too much 'goatnip'.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    She-Devils are goooooooood.

The goats look like they were having a good time. I can't imagine what I would have thought if I'd have walked into a clearing and seen a bunch of people with goats before you started posting here and talking about it. The different sized bells is a GREAT idea; you can shout at the guilty without having to get out of the hammock!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast